What Are You Thinking?

StormKnight

1 hour ago, TronRP said:

What in the world does Summer School consist of.  My nephew failed 6th grade last year.  He went to Summer School that year and made it into 7th grade.  He failed 7th grade and received a letter to attend another Summer School this year.  I declined to let him go.  But just to test a theory, I quizzed him on a state approved sheet of what 7th graders are supposed to know.  He couldn't even answer anything correctly...and half of the questions were from a test he got an "A" on just last month.  So I asked him some basic 6th grade questions.  He couldn't answer anything I asked him.  I can't see how a few weeks of Summer School is supposed to prepare him for 8th grade which is the culmination of everything he has learned to this point to prepare him for 9th grade...High School!!!  There's NO WAY!!!

Currently he doesn't know what an Atom is.  He couldn't define the word Draft without using the word as its own definition.  And when asked to define Dialogue, Interaction and Editorial he began each definition with "It's an event...", but when asked to define what Event meant, he was unable to.

All I can see is I have A LOT of work to do this Summer.  I'll be his tutor while he does some Real World work since he currently doesn't see how school and real life have anything to do with each other...REALLY!?!

:rant:

I tell my spawn that school teaches them to get up and go to a place they might hate but must go to anyway 5 days a week. I tell them its my job to teach them to walk, talk and feed themselves. Bonus I teach chores, which are similar to school/job but its how to take care of your own place. They watch me pay bills, make grocery lists, make doctor appointments etc. I say this is how to Adult. Evidently, others were not given this information.

6 hours ago, Moe Falcon said:

I tell my spawn that school teaches them to get up and go to a place they might hate but must go to anyway 5 days a week. I tell them its my job to teach them to walk, talk and feed themselves. Bonus I teach chores, which are similar to school/job but its how to take care of your own place. They watch me pay bills, make grocery lists, make doctor appointments etc. I say this is how to Adult. Evidently, others were not given this information.

Exactly the same here.  They watch me do all those same things, but for reasons that makes sense to him, the boy believes everything will stay just like it is.  He doesn't believe anything will change.  He always screws up and "the system" always gives him a break.  And because of that, he does not believe a word anyone says to him if it conflicts with his belief of how the world in his tiny little box works.  I ended up chewing him out about it, because to be this old and to know NOTHING except what you see in cartoons is UNEXCEPTABLE!!!

He will receive a taste of the Real World this Summer.  How he chooses to use the knowledge I impart on him, will be strictly up to him.

I will try not to emotionally scar him too badly...:devil: 

On 6/20/2018 at 4:29 PM, TronRP said:

What in the world does Summer School consist of.  My nephew failed 6th grade last year.  He went to Summer School that year and made it into 7th grade.  He failed 7th grade and received a letter to attend another Summer School this year.  I declined to let him go.  But just to test a theory, I quizzed him on a state approved sheet of what 7th graders are supposed to know.  He couldn't even answer anything correctly...and half of the questions were from a test he got an "A" on just last month.  So I asked him some basic 6th grade questions.  He couldn't answer anything I asked him.  I can't see how a few weeks of Summer School is supposed to prepare him for 8th grade which is the culmination of everything he has learned to this point to prepare him for 9th grade...High School!!!  There's NO WAY!!!

Currently he doesn't know what an Atom is.  He couldn't define the word Draft without using the word as its own definition.  And when asked to define Dialogue, Interaction and Editorial he began each definition with "It's an event...", but when asked to define what Event meant, he was unable to.

All I can see is I have A LOT of work to do this Summer.  I'll be his tutor while he does some Real World work since he currently doesn't see how school and real life have anything to do with each other...REALLY!?!

:rant:

Well the school system of today is flawed, it teaches you to memorize information and repeat it back to the teacher, for the most part, most of which is useless jargon unless your going into a very specific career. Life skills such as how to do taxes, pay bills, and things of the such are excluded. Most of the skills i've learned were learned by myself, no parent, no teacher telling me things. Does it mean that everything you learn in school is useless? Of course not. Perhaps in the future the board of education can form programs for professions rather than trying to teach the collective, most of which isnt important or is so boring it doesnt even get learned. 

Ssoooo this morning quite a bit has happened. First, I thought our aunt was calling and hit speaker at the same time I read the name on the phone...it was a lady calling to ask about doing a survey for a radio station XD. I told her I thought she was someone else and that I wasn't over the age of 18, so she hung up. Couple hours later Jehovah Witness shows up at the door and my dinky brain goes "Oh, people in church clothes, they look nice, I wonder what True Light is doing here"...True Light is a church I was with but they moved away almost 5-6 years ago....I opened the door and realized what was up after they asked to share a scripture with me, so now I have a magazine and I feel entirely stupid at the moment....:wallbash: So much for taking care of things while my other aunt slept.

...Still can't believe everything happened like that.

My brother, "you wanna know the shocking part? This time, it wasn't me! XD"

I think people are taking this AncestryDNA thing too far.  A lady says she thought she married an Italian, but finds out he's less percentage of Italian than he is Middle European. 

But he is Italian, just not 100%.  I doubt anyone (except for undiscovered civilizations and even they would show signs of migration DNA) is 100% of anything except human.

Soon we're gonna start seeing new categories for "RACE" on forms.  Instead of asking if you have some Hispanic or Pacific Islander in you, it will start asking: What percentage of "________" are you?

:dry:

• TronRP locked this topic
  • TronRP unpinned and pinned this topic
  • TronRP unpinned this topic
  • TronRP pinned this topic