What Are You Thinking?

StormKnight

On 6/23/2018 at 7:04 AM, Justin_Mystix said:

Well the school system of today is flawed, it teaches you to memorize information and repeat it back to the teacher, for the most part, most of which is useless jargon unless your going into a very specific career. Life skills such as how to do taxes, pay bills, and things of the such are excluded. Most of the skills i've learned were learned by myself, no parent, no teacher telling me things. Does it mean that everything you learn in school is useless? Of course not. Perhaps in the future the board of education can form programs for professions rather than trying to teach the collective, most of which isnt important or is so boring it doesnt even get learned. 

I find it interesting that you chose those specific words.  I actually read them in a song not too long ago.  The thing people forget about education is its main purpose was to separate the classes.  Originally, only the elite could afford to go to what was termed Grammar School.  Generally, everyone else was considered the Working Class or Peasant Level.

"Life skills" were supposed to be taught to you by your parents or whoever you were working for.  Even a child who had no ability to read could balance a checkbook, pay bills at the local bill collector and do the shopping at the local general store because that was their livelihood.  Grammar Schools assumed those to be "real world" skills that would be learned regardless due to ones need to survive.

Grammar School's main function is what used to be called "Higher Education" which is now mainly used to describe going to College or University because it is now assumed that children of school age will indeed start school.  However, there was still a legal clause that allowed students to leave Grammar School by a certain age because they would be needed to help support their family by getting a job (which back then meant working on the family farm).  Welfare didn't exist the way it does today (and even that has been rewritten).

I don't know about you, but I've never heard anyone get upset at Grammar Schools because their teacher never taught them how to roll a joint, place a bet or jack a car, but those are still life skills some people need to survive.

gallery_4589_1225_32118.png

On 6/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, firekitten15 said:

Finally on summer break...this school year was dragged out longer than I think was needed...time for online school since we never not have homework over the break:wacko: whhyyyyyyy?

:bunny::bunny:

It was drug out so long to make up for days missed during times schools were closed due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather, political or building maintenance issues.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:41 AM, firekitten15 said:

Ssoooo this morning quite a bit has happened. First, I thought our aunt was calling and hit speaker at the same time I read the name on the phone...it was a lady calling to ask about doing a survey for a radio station XD. I told her I thought she was someone else and that I wasn't over the age of 18, so she hung up. Couple hours later Jehovah Witness shows up at the door and my dinky brain goes "Oh, people in church clothes, they look nice, I wonder what True Light is doing here"...True Light is a church I was with but they moved away almost 5-6 years ago....I opened the door and realized what was up after they asked to share a scripture with me, so now I have a magazine and I feel entirely stupid at the moment....:wallbash: So much for taking care of things while my other aunt slept.

...Still can't believe everything happened like that.

My brother, "you wanna know the shocking part? This time, it wasn't me! XD"

gallery_4589_1237_13557.jpg

:rofl:

NO...I'm not the cat lady yet, but I did find three 4-week old kittens under Trene's jeep last night while preparing it for a tow this morning.  So yes, I currently have 10 little furbabies in my house, I do not think I will be able to financially support all of them.

So Kali is 17 living in the kitchen nursery with the three newbies.

ShadowWalker is 3 and Tawny is 2.

The Tuxedo Girls are 11 months.

It's so easy to become attached to the kitty cuteness, but space might become an issue in the long run.

(Even though the Kitty Apartment Building I constructed does add a vertical level of room to satisfy all the juveniles...so the thought of keeping the last three is very tempting.)

:whistle:

On 6/27/2018 at 8:48 PM, firekitten15 said:

What college to go to...:question::question:

I say start at Wayne State University, get your feet wet with a course or two, then determine how you want to proceed.  You can still apply for scholarships while you attend classes.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:47 AM, Trene4000 said:

I truly feel for you. That's the worse place to have a healing injury. 

Yay...I'm happy all the scabs finished falling off as of Saturday after the Retirement Party.  Now I just have to let the scaring fade.  Fortunately, I'm not too vain. 😆

• TronRP locked this topic
  • TronRP unpinned and pinned this topic
  • TronRP unpinned this topic
  • TronRP pinned this topic