[07/16, Sat] Chime In-

I want to get an idea of how many of you are interested. Also, I'll be posting directions and that to the place we're going, on this thread.

So far, What I've gathered is that Brenda and her party are four strong, I represent a fifth (in more ways than one). About 10 people voted on a venue but I'm not sure that everyone who voted will actually attend while others (I'm sure) will want to bring along guests of thier own-

We've decided on Greektown (maybe that's made a few people change their minds, as well) and We've posted eight (pm) as our time.

Please, just post something here (any fucking thing you like) so that I can count you as part of our reservations. Don't forget to list your number of guests somewhere in what you write.

I'll give everyone as long as is reasonable (remembering that most likely reservations will be necessary and that eight o' clock at such a small place (Cyprus) could be difficult)-

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never been to that area. Cyprus is the restaurant name? May I have an address and also an idea of the price range of this place? (I'm counting my pennies this week due to a fairly expensive car repair). Thanks!

If I go I will be bringing 1 guest. I wil try to let you know for sure by tomorrow.

I have never been to that area.  Cyprus is the restaurant name?  May I have an address and also an idea of the price range of this place?  (I'm counting my pennies this week due to a fairly expensive car repair).   Thanks!

If I go I will be bringing 1 guest.  I wil try to let you know for sure by tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THE CYPRUS TAVERNA

579 Monroe Street (in Greektown)

Detroit, Michigan

(313) 961-1550

This Greektown restaurant is one of the originals. We remember coming here when no one went to Greektown in the Winter! The place was bustling on our last visit during the Auto Show. As always, the staff was friendly and courteous. We were seated in the back, near the kitchen, which always makes for an interesting evening. That evening we had our son Luke and a guest from Switzerland, Philip. Our meal began with Saganaki which, for us, is a must. The Cyprus gives you a very nice sized piece, just right for a nice sampling by four. We, of course, paired this with the wonderful thick Greek bread every table receives. Moving on to the Giant Greek Salad - it was loaded with peppers, beets, zippy Greek olives and a very respectable Greek Dressing. While having these before entree treats, we enjoyed a lovely red wine from Rhodes. The Cyprus has a very large hot and cold appetizer menu, which by itself, could keep you happy and well fed. The Tourkolemana, which has shrimp, feta, tomatoes, onions and green peppers, is heavenly. Their Mushrooms Sauteed in Wine and Coriander is an unusual treat.

The Lamb with Rice Pilaf is infallible - a traditional greek restaurant meal. The Cyprus does it wonderfully. The lamb is tender, tender and the sauce is just perfect, not to tomatoey or sweet. It is a perfect compliment to the lamb. Philip had the Afelia which is braised pork with wine and coriander. It was, as the menu suggested, SUCCULENT. Philip was swooning and the small portion he shared was a delight. Luke had Gyros which looked very good and juicy. The meat was not dry like some Gyros can be. He said it was one of the best he'd eaten in a while. Jeff had the Dolmathes or Stuffed Grape Leaves. The are nicely stuffed and tightly wrapped. The filling of rice, ground lamb and spices is truly delicious. He had them with the lemon sauce (you can also opt for tomato sauce) which was not bitter in the least and had a lovely creamy texture.

The Cyprus has a large vegetarian menu also with Veggie Moussake, Pastitso and, of course, all the wonderful salads. They also have a nice seafood selection with Sea Bass, Red Snapper, Swordfish and Shrimp. I love Sea Bass and at the Cyprus I was not disappointed. It was perfectly cooked and seasoned lightly. The next time we go I have got to try the lamb chops. We saw several platters go by and they smelled out of this world and looked absolutely perfect.

The Cyprus is a great place to have a good Greek Dinner. They have more than just lamb and spinach pie. The staff is quick and the wine list is good. Of course it's heavy on the Greek wine - but then, it's Greektown...

The prices range from $6.75 to $20.00 for an entree, with appetizers beginning at $2.75. For the four of us, with wine and Greek coffee, the bill was a little over $60.00. Not bad, for delicious food and a ring side seat to the hectic kitchen!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RATINGS:

FOOD - 4

ATMOSPHERE - When Busy - 4, When Empty - 3

GOOD TIME FACTOR - 4

Our rating system is a scale of 1 to 5:

5 - The absolute best, you have gone to pleasure central.

1 - A place you would only send your obnoxious cousin Betty, who's from Florida, if you were in a really foul mood.

(oh, I copied and pasted this review, I didn't write it)

Close only counts with horseshoes and nuclear weapons.

I have a suggestion.  If there's 5-6 people who are going to be doing everything on Saturday starting at the strip club...  I can play taxi now that I have a spacious minivan as transportation.  It's clean, has a good audio system and it's a Honda... so definittely no reliability issues.

Bren?  Tom?  DC?  PH?  Anyone elese want a ride?

<------- Likes to drive.  :woot:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm that can still be scary. with gas and city and parking...im not made of money

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you order something simple like a Gyro (they have the best Gyros I've had, anywhere) and don't plan on drinking much, at dinner, you can get out of there for around $10-$15 with tip. If you want to drink a bit more and order something more complex you could easily spend $20-$30, depending. The food is well worth it (best in Detroit's Greektown, I've tried) and the service is really good-attentative without seeming intrusive in the least-

Guest Game of Chance

Not sure yet, as of yesterday, Me, Dyno, and her sis talked about heading up there on Saturday, but no definite plans...Let me get back to you

Guest Game of Chance

Cool. We'd love to have whoever's interested (and especially Dyno's sister if she is single). -And should I have to, I can try adding to the reservations I make but I'll make reservations by tomorrow evening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, Dyno's sister does indeed have a serious boyfriend. But she's great company regardless. I'll see what I can do.

This one. We're doing this because Brenda is a rock star and she's in town this weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am NOT a friggin' rock star!!!!!!

Everyone who is going, please PM PH. That way, we can keep it together and be orderly. If that's possible with this motley crew!

Archived