Favourite books from your childhood

Here are some I absolutely LOVED, and remember quite vividly:

The Real Mother Goose (I still own a copy)

Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown

Go, Dog. Go!, by P.D. Eastman

Gus and the Baby Ghost, by Jane Thayer

"Could Be Worse!" by James Stevenson

Master of All Masters, by Joseph Jacobs (the Thistle Book edition)

Strega Nona, by Tomie Depaola

...this is just a short list. I'll update, as I think of more. :)

What are your favourite books that you remember from childhood?

The Hilary Knight ABC Book (Hilary Knight)

Pagoo (Holling Clancy Holling)

Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales

The Summerfolk (Doris Burn)

A Wrinkle In Time et al (Madeleine L'Engle)

Born Free, Living Free, and Forever Free (Joy Adamson)

Call Of the Wild (Jack London)

Grey Dawn (Albert Payson Terhune)

Flicka trilogy (Mary O'Hara)

National Velvet (Enid Bagnold)

Fanny Hill (John Cleland)

King of the Wind (Marguerite Henry)

Cheaper By the Dozen (Frank Gilbreth, Jr. & Ernestine Gilbreth Carey)

All of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books

Life Nature Library (Time-Life Books)

...various books about dogs, wolves, & other animals

I read a LOT as a cub. These are just the ones I remember most vividly in 10 minutes of reflection... also limited this to stuff I read before middle school age.

Edited by pomba gira

LMFAO, because my grandfather had a copy of Fanny Hill hidden on a high shelf in the carport (we had a garage sort of thing beneath the house, that doubled as a shed/storage/workbench area). I just happened to find it, while searching for some fishing line, when I was a cub... *whistles innocently*

Edited by jynxxxedangel

lots of science-y books

various mythology collections

Grimm's Fairy Tales

...don't remember the name, but it was a Dr. Seuss book about letters beyond Z

Childhood's End - I was 12 when I read it for the 1st time. I was Catholic when I started it and an atheist when I finished. :)

Velveteen Rabbit

...if I can remember the names of more, I'll post 'em.

Guest Megalicious

The Monster At The End Of The Book.. I always loved Me some Grover :yes

OMG, I saw that the other day and HAD to get it for Keegan.

Others:

The Wind in the Willows - Mr Toad and his "Motorcar"!

Charlottes Web.

Where the Wild Things.

Oh! The Places You Will Go!

Mrs. Frisby and Rats of NIMH - hated the fucking movie HATED IT!!! I mean, the book was all about the smart Rats that where engineers and solved problems. The movie it was all the "magic amulet" WTF!!!!

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer ( I always loved it more then Huck Finn).

Bunnicula!!!!

The Hobbit.

Another of my favourite books, was a GIGANTIC dictionary we had. It looked something like this:

bigbook.jpg

I remember poring over it for hours on end, learning new words.

Another unlikely beloved book for a child, was my maternal grandmother's dog-eared copy of this kitchen tome-- a 1950 edition she had received with her first refrigerator:

norge50.jpg

This was the first cookbook I ever read, and I loved it! I remember reading the recipes and looking at the pictures, over and over.

Edited by jynxxxedangel

hauting-tales1-300x209.jpg

I absolutely LOVED this book. It was the first collection of ghost stories I ever read. I think I was about five or six, the first time I picked it up. The Edward Gorey illustrations on the dust jacket scared the living bejeezus out of me, but I was fascinated by them, in spite of myself!

The Lonesome Place, by August Derleth, made a HUGE impression on me. After reading that story, I was terrified to stay out alone after dark.

Edited by jynxxxedangel

We had tons of books. My brother had a small walk-in closet that we turned into our "library." I more or less spent all my time reading or watching TV. I was a shy little kid, so I only played for the most part when people wanted me to think up games. I was in charge of new game creation and founded several neighborhood clubs that lasted a week or two.

The Crane Maiden. I loved the illustrations as much as the story itself.

From a description I found online: "The Crane Maiden is based on a Japanese folktale about an poor, childless, older couple who aid an injured crane. A young woman who needing shelter appears on their doorstep and offers to pay for her keep by weaving cloth for them to sell. Her only condition is that no one must watch her while she weaves. The couple agree but eventually give in to curiosity thus discovering the girl turns into a great crane who plucks feathers from her body to weave into the beautiful cloths. The crane maiden must leave once her secret is discovered."

post-4-125418918504_thumb.jpg

ack, it's out of print, makes me want to go search for a copy. The art was so gorgeous.

The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats (OMG, I LOVED this book. It was one of the first ones my mother ever read to me, and I learned it by rote)

When I was a bit older:

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, And Me, Elizabeth, by E.L. Konigsburg

The House of Dies Drear, by Virginia Hamilton

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret, by Judy Blume

The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Blume

Johnny Tremain, by Esther Forbes

Edited by jynxxxedangel

Wow... I got the American Heritage Dictionary for xmas when I was 8 or 9... used to spend hours looking through it. Kept it until sometime in my 30s. I thought I was the only kid nerdy enough to actually read a dictionary for fun!

Madeline (Ludwig Bemelman)

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street (Dr. Seuss)

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret (Judy Blume)... we all read this obsessively in fourth & fifth grade

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

and

James and the Giant Peach (Roald Dahl)

Dixie Cline, Animal Doctor (Virginia B. McDonnell)

Pinocchio (Carlo Collodi) The rather dark original- NOT the sappy Disney version!

Paul Bunyan No idea who this was by... did some searching but didn't see anything that looked quite right.

Edited by pomba gira

a thousand paper cranes

sad but happy book about a japanese kid with leukemia who is trying to make 1000 cranes because a legend says if you succeed you get to make a wish

ISTR that's a true story, too

The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Little Prince is an amazing book... pretty much defines my experience with relationships. Never read it as a child, though... fell in love with it in college (the first time).

a thousand paper cranes

sad but happy book about a japanese kid with lukemia who is trying to make 1000 cranes because a legend says if you succeed you get to make a wish

Oh wow.

The story sounded very interesting. I was curious and googled and found that it was actually based on a true story.

"Based on the true story of a young Japanese girl who contracts leukemia as a result of the atom bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima, the story follows Sadako as a healthy schoolgirl winning relay races, through her diagnosis with the atom bomb sickness, to her long stay in the hospital. It is in the hospital that she first begins making origami cranes to pass the time. Her ultimate goal is to make 1000, but she dies with only 644 completed. Sadako's classmates finish making the remaining cranes, and all 1000 are buried with her."

http://www.amazon.com/Sadako-thousand-paper-cranes-Eleanor/dp/0698118022