What do YOU want to hear the DJs spin?

Raev

Silliest request ever, but I kinda really wanna hear some crazy industrial version of Carol of the Bells at Christmas time. SURELY something like this MUST exist!! I haven't found anything yet but it's just gotta be out there. That would be pretty hardcore.

Carol of the Bells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-PmAbSLWa4

Some techno remix...not quite what I had in mind but all I've found so far. :/

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 song that could go away and NOT be missed by me = GARBAGE - #1 Crush, that song is WAY TOO OVER PLAYED and should just go away . . . .

In its place, ANY above mentioned tune that either used to get played and hasn't been in a while, or N E thing that I haven't heard that is FUN, and DANCEABLE ! ! !

Silliest request ever, but I kinda really wanna hear some crazy industrial version of Carol of the Bells at Christmas time. SURELY something like this MUST exist!! I haven't found anything yet but it's just gotta be out there. That would be pretty hardcore.

This Ascension did a great cover of Carol of the Bells on the 1st Projekt Records Christmas compilation. Not very danceable...unless a CC DJ wants to attempt a remix or something.

This Ascension did a great cover of Carol of the Bells on the 1st Projekt Records Christmas compilation. Not very danceable...unless a CC DJ wants to attempt a remix or something.

This Ascension = GREAT Band.

As far as industrial-ish x-mas tunes I have collected quite a few and have played a couple at City round X-mas time in years past. Mnemonic does both Jingle Bells and Stille Nacht. Balck Rain Records out of Germany recently released the Black Snow - the Completely Different Xmas Compilation. More info here: http://www.musicnonstop.co.uk/product-view.php?productid=22955

The DYM cover of Little Drummer Boy is awesome :) as is the Hava Nagila cover.

There's also the Martin Atkins and the Chicago Industrial League - an Industrial Christmas Carol CD. Pretty silly really.

and finally there's good ol Uncle Al from Ministry who just did the following X-Mas cover.

(Notice how it sounds a LOT like Flock of Seagulls "Space Age Love Song")

If I was to go to a goth club laws may force me to buy and try snus, back on topic, I'd want dark or strange music in general. I liked the Deadline and Something Cold playlists, though there's probably stuff there I would and wouldn't like-- and a ton there I haven't heard. Though I dislike a lot of Industrial I'm not against it and could probably find stuff I'd like. Some alternative 90's rock for its copy-cat post-punk sound and emotion. I wouldn't mind a tiny bit of horrorcore, something serious sounding, no ICP. I like a good amount of post-punk and 'post-punk revival.'

I'd like to hear local and independent artists who are genre-relevant to the club. There are multitudes of hard to find musical outfits but I will give some local, independent artist track suggestions with links; only one, the last group, is not on DGN as far as I know of. (I was going to put in Servitor Sanctum 7 but they all said demos so I skipped out on 'em fer now, and I can't find any of Rev's new stuff online yet.) To those not in here I was going for loud, potentially danceable stuff of whatever I could find.

Der Nister - Deadly Game

http://www.myspace.com/der_nister

AnuAmun - Earth

http://www.myspace.com/anuamun

Trioxic - You Are Nothing

http://www.myspace.com/trioxic

Cybertrybe - White Rabbit (I really like this cover.)

http://www.myspace.com/cybertrybe

D:konstruct - Calling Out Your name

http://www.myspace.com/dkonstruct2009

Artificial and Lethal (my stuff) - Tragedy and Harmony

http://www.archive.org/details/ArtificialAndLethalTracks

Siegemachine - Going Home

http://www.myspace.com/siegemachine

Great Lakes Myth Society - Across The Bridge (Melancholic-happy lyrics like The Cure, halfway its too beautiful to pass up.)

http://www.myspace.com/greatlakesmythsociety

As for making independent music more competitive with professionally mastered music: There are non-dancy artists who, if it was okay with, could have their stuff remixed more percussively by other artists for dancing; some of them only have mp3's, so I have no idea if that could work out quality-wise, but I take music 'seriously' in a strange way and I'm not as picky about it. There were these one DJ's who put distortion on old disco, so if the music wasn't loud enough and it was OK'd by the artist, the distortion method could be done in place of mastering. Or if the artist was okay with it, the tracks could get a quick, loud re-master.

I know there are a lot of patrons who would sometimes be against local artists despite punk and goth roots being local artists. I think its biased to not give local artists plays, especially the patrons who are musicians. A lot of music is not danceable to the traditional club beat, though that doesn't mean there aren't independent dance tracks or tracks worth playing that one could find there own way of dancing to.

I know there are a lot of patrons who would sometimes be against local artists despite punk and goth roots being local artists. I think its biased to not give local artists plays, especially the patrons who are musicians. A lot of music is not danceable to the traditional club beat, though that doesn't mean there aren't independent dance tracks or tracks worth playing that one could find there own way of dancing to.

D:konstruct, Crud, 800Beloved, Cybertrybe, etc. get played at City Club... atleast, I've played them... recently even... as have other DJ's... although no one dances to them....

We're extremely fortunate to have so many great local artists in Detroit.... it's just sad that a lot of people don't bother to learn about them.

D:konstruct, Crud, 800Beloved, Cybertrybe, etc. get played at City Club... atleast, I've played them... recently even... as have other DJ's... although no one dances to them....

We're extremely fortunate to have so many great local artists in Detroit.... it's just sad that a lot of people don't bother to learn about them.

Alright I wasn't positive about everything that got played. It does suck that nobody has warmed up to them.

• 4 weeks later...

A small victory would be had if I heard "Der Leiermann" by Covenant. The English version is a bit silly sounding to me.

Oh yes, and what Riku said; I'd definately get down to "Thorns" :3

Thorns gets played a lot! And will probably continued to get played every so often as well. Great tune!

"Der Leiermann" had it's time (10 years ago in 2000!) but could make a comeback, perhaps moreso on old school nights. Covenant has a new CD scheduled for release this year so expect to hear a lot of songs played when the new release is out.

A small victory would be had if I heard "Der Leiermann" by Covenant. The English version is a bit silly sounding to me.

Oh yes, and what Riku said; I'd definately get down to "Thorns" :3

I've been known to play Der Leiermann fairly often, at least once a month.

I hate all of you...you suck.

When there was an old school industrial/goth/death rock night, most people would have some lame excuse to not come (EVEN WHEN IT WAS FREE), but then go to city and bitch, the same goes for people that bitch at Saint for playing the only good new stuff that comes out...your all dumb...

k im done, going to go drink more and probably not post for another 3 months.

Edited by Sluagh686

When there was an old school industrial/goth/death rock night, most people would have some lame excuse to not come (EVEN WHEN IT WAS FREE), but then go to city and bitch, the same goes for people that bitch at Saint for playing the only good new stuff that comes out...your all dumb...

TBMs_and_SB2Cs_dropping_bombs.jpg

I do appreciate the support For Mr. Saint... as I can appreciate the DJing he does as well.... but please please please tone down the hostility?

Thanks!

I would love to hear more Portishead and Switchblade Symphony.

Lets see - Switchblade Symphony disbanded in 1999 and "Sweet's" been getting played since 2001. The rest of their catalog plods along like a Ford product from the same year. Best chances of hearing Switchblade would be on an old school night.

At least Portishead is still releasing music. Again something I'd personally play earlier in the night before prime-time (11:30 pm). Decent music but rather lethargic for the dancefloor.

Dream Aid by Haujobb

Religion by Front 242

Breathe by Ministry

Some Unter Null would be cool

I also do like Client, and Miranda Sex Garden a lot

You sir have eclectic taste. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dream Aid by Haujobb and that one's even pushing old school night teritory now. I threw down 242's Relgion a few months back (I think you might have even been there that night) and it seemed to do very well. Why is it these songs don't sound so dated?

Been known to throw down soem Unter Null as well. "Sick Fuck" would be my track of choice and anytime I played it I always had an inquiry as to what it was. She has a new cd coming out VERY soon and I expect some tracks will make their way to the CC dancefloor. She's really progressed as an artist in a short time.