What do YOU want to hear the DJs spin?

Raev

I can't play metal at City Club because I'm still trying to understand all the classifications of it all. :p

Metal: This is where guys with long hair wail like tone-deaf banshees and play jerk-off guitar solos for arenas full of sleazy heshers with flimsy mustaches, dragon t-shirts, and 14-year-old girlfriends. died out in the late Eighties, but some sorry souls are still clinging to its corpse.

Black Metal and Death Metal: This is that awful tomfoolery with the big pretentious song structures and “BWAAARGHHH” vocals and Scandinavian guys who burn down orphanages and eat each others’ brains, right? The best part of this stuff is the band names, which sound like ten-year-olds trying to name their secret no-girls-allowed clubs.

Brutal Death Metal: assume this is like death metal but with slightly more intense band names. Like, for example, instead of a pedestrian death metal name like “Festering Corpse,” maybe a brutal death metal band would be called “Grotesque Festering Corpse.”

[80’s] Hair Metal: Shh, we’re trying to forget.

Fantasy Metal: Well, all metal fans play Dungeons and Dragons and read shitty fantasy novels. That’s just a given. But some of them are so nerdy that they can’t even enjoy their metal without explicit references to elves and swords and dragon-slaying. Hence this crap.

Fantasy Death Metal: Same as above, but probably deals with mercilessly slaughtering elves for Satan.

Metalcore: Adding “core” to the end of a type of music is functionally the same as adding “for morons in white belts.” So, take all the awfulness of hardcore and add some bitchin’ guitar riffs. Or, alternatively, take metal and remove anything that might be mistaken for music.

Grind: How does one even go about distinguishing a good grind band from a bad one?

Light Metal: . Is it like light rock? Is it metal for sissies? Somewhere out there is there the metal equivalent of Christopher Cross? “When you get caught between the moon and Satan’s fiery maw…”

Heaby Metal: What the fuck does “heaby” mean? Is this heavy metal for guys with sinus problems?

Rap Metal: rap metal is music for stupid people, but that’s not really fair. Everyone who listens to rap metal is stupid, but not all stupid people listen to rap metal.

Rap-Black-Metal: Rap metal with creepy Scandinavian guys?

Rap-Death-Black-Nu-Metalcore: Rap metal with creepy Scandanavian guys and scarier names and white belts?

Nu-Metal: The opposite of… music.

and if you want metal, maybe hit The Ritz, Harpos or Hayloft Liquor Stand -- someplace that rocks out with the cock out and jams out with the clam out!

City Clubs a dark dance club

I am buying you beer whereever the eventual Deadliners Get-Together takes place, Marc! :wink

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that I am a fan of some of the Metal/Hardcore stuff our there. Hell, "The Locust" and "Converge" are some of, if not my favorite bands...and Joy division...never forget Joy Division (who arent metal, just awesome...but im getting off track), I sure wouldnt play it in a industrial club though...Unless I was trying to be sarcastic. I see what your saying that it could potentially be dance-worthhy, but its going against the grain of the idea of the night. If its industrial, play industrial, if its goth, play goth, punk, play punk ect.

Always play Joy Division though... thats the only rule breaker. :p

Very true. But they don't necessarily stay strict to the "just industrial" music at the club. Most of it, don't get me wrong about that.

They dont "need" to but they should, or at least stick to very close sub genres like future pop/aggro tech/noize/EBM/dark trance ect. basically darker electronic music.

OK the list of metal bands was indeed very funny.

But then why play Manson. He sucks and unlike Lady Gaga, people don't even dance to his suckiness.

Is Godflesh/KMFDM/later-Die Krupps industrial metal or just industrial?

Thank you for mentioning one of my favorites... GODFLESH, I would loose it if they played them... the times I DJ'd at Nectos I always did my best to get them on.

Are we not overdue for an Old School Friday? I've been pondering over many of the comments members have made about 2000 not quite "feeling" old enough, in their minds if nothing else. Technologically, there haven't been many ground-shattering leaps in the way music has been made 2000-present.

I suggest a taring of the cut-off date to '95 for the next Old School night....sometimes, the technology really does affect the atmosphere differently.

Also, it should allow me to suggest:

The Armageddon Dildos - Romeo & Juliet

(I could also settle for Homicidal Maniac; as a dancer, I can compromise)

:thanks:

I can't play metal at City Club because I'm still trying to understand all the classifications of it all. :p

Metal: This is where guys with long hair wail like tone-deaf banshees and play jerk-off guitar solos for arenas full of sleazy heshers with flimsy mustaches, dragon t-shirts, and 14-year-old girlfriends. died out in the late Eighties, but some sorry souls are still clinging to its corpse.

Black Metal and Death Metal: This is that awful tomfoolery with the big pretentious song structures and “BWAAARGHHH” vocals and Scandinavian guys who burn down orphanages and eat each others’ brains, right? The best part of this stuff is the band names, which sound like ten-year-olds trying to name their secret no-girls-allowed clubs.

Brutal Death Metal: assume this is like death metal but with slightly more intense band names. Like, for example, instead of a pedestrian death metal name like “Festering Corpse,” maybe a brutal death metal band would be called “Grotesque Festering Corpse.”

Fantasy Metal: Well, all metal fans play Dungeons and Dragons and read shitty fantasy novels. That’s just a given. But some of them are so nerdy that they can’t even enjoy their metal without explicit references to elves and swords and dragon-slaying. Hence this crap.

Fantasy Death Metal: Same as above, but probably deals with mercilessly slaughtering elves for Satan.

Metalcore: Adding “core” to the end of a type of music is functionally the same as adding “for morons in white belts.” So, take all the awfulness of hardcore and add some bitchin’ guitar riffs. Or, alternatively, take metal and remove anything that might be mistaken for music.

Grind: How does one even go about distinguishing a good grind band from a bad one?

Light Metal: . Is it like light rock? Is it metal for sissies? Somewhere out there is there the metal equivalent of Christopher Cross? “When you get caught between the moon and Satan’s fiery maw…”

Heaby Metal: What the fuck does “heaby” mean? Is this heavy metal for guys with sinus problems?

Rap Metal: rap metal is music for stupid people, but that’s not really fair. Everyone who listens to rap metal is stupid, but not all stupid people listen to rap metal.

Rap-Death-Black-Nu-Metalcore: Rap metal with creepy Scandanavian guys and scarier names and white belts?

and if you want metal, maybe hit The Ritz, Harpos or Hayloft Liquor Stand -- someplace that rocks out with the cock out and jams out with the clam out!

One question?

You have not play

OBSZON GESCHOPF

1520412904-m-1-.jpg

The following songs i think would go over well....at city Club...

- Coffin Shop(Steril RmX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDg73qVVoZk

- Bloodfeast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VQUXQDPJVQ&feature=related

- Love the Butcher

But that is me... that is me.....!

D

I...I...I love you. :wub:

Tee hee! *blushes and darts off*

I find that if I make a request, it's usually a guarantee that I WON'T hear it. It's either "not in the case," or it just doesn't happen. I'll may hear another song by the same band, but rarely do I get what I wanted. On the other hand, if I wait patiently without making demands, I almost always hear good stuff. So I don't try to force it.

Check CC circa mid 90's... and necto... a lot of fear factory, ministry, sepultura.... Prong....

Only in the last half a decade did it seem to go away completely.

Very true.

I still think Ministry belongs.

Prong, not so much. Not at a club.

The industrial remix of Refuse/Resist from Sepultura I enjoyed.

I second this :)

Great tunes both "Romeo + Juliet" and "Homicidal Maniac". I'll have these in my case again soon. I'd also like to see "East West" make the playlist. And this band is still releasing new music too :)

Yeah, I even played their new track off the latest Endzeit Bunkertracks Comp last Friday (House of Pain [Freakangel Mix]). Great stuff.

I need to get my hands on more of their recent stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_X8ZZwcs4k

Yeah, I even played their new track off the latest Endzeit Bunkertracks Comp last Friday (House of Pain [Freakangel Mix]). Great stuff.

I need to get my hands on more of their recent stuff.

Yuh, I think the next album is scheduled for the coming Autumn...toooo long :X

Psyclon Nine, Dawn of Ashes, God Module, Combichrist, Yade ("Hunter"), Wumpscut ("War"). Just some bands/songs I personally would like to hear when I make it back there again.

I don't remember Psyclon Nine being played anytime recently. With (Un)Holy Week coming up on us, I do believe something off the INRI album would be apropos. From my best guesstimates, Good Friday still falls on that day of the week.

And also for that Friday, I would be pleased to hear:

Wumpscut - Golgotha

Edited by Iris

Yuh, I think the next album is scheduled for the coming Autumn...toooo long :X

I don't remember Psyclon Nine being played anytime recently. With (Un)Holy Week coming up on us, I do believe something off the INRI album would be apropos. From my best guesstimates, Good Friday still falls on that day of the week.

And also for that Friday, I would be pleased to hear:

Wumpscut - Golgotha

Rape This World and Parasitic used to get played constantly at IGUN. I played Parasitic once or twice at deadline, but there are other things I would rather hear.

What you all SHOULD request is the tom petty vrs wumpscut track...so good. lul

• 4 weeks later...

I personally would like to hear a Ladytron song OTHER than "Destroy Everything..."

They have other albums, people...some old...some *GASP* new-ish

(of course, this would involve someone going out of their way to make such a request...what's the likelyhood of that ever happening)? :p

Oh, wait...

Ladytron - Evil

Edited by Iris

I personally would like to hear a Ladytron song OTHER than "Destroy Everything..."

They have other albums, people...some old...some *GASP* new-ish

(of course, this would involve someone going out of their way to make such a request...what's the likelyhood of that ever happening)? :p

Oh, wait...

Ladytron - Evil

I've played Evil a few times. It's a fun track. As a DJ though, you have to be careful cuz the last 90 seconds of that track is just mindless low-volume staticy-spacey sounds. lol. It's probably high concentrations of pure evil encoded in subliminal messages. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the CD single. Would love to hear the remixes.