What do YOU want to hear the DJs spin?

Raev

OK I just read the thread

Conversation in the Dec 5th aftermath thread triggered this. So, let's get some civil discussion in it's own thread. :)

Me personally, I rarely ever make a request because my personal tastes don't make for good dancing music. I prefer faster tempo music with a little bit of an aggressive edge - but when it gets played not too many dance to it :(

ABSOLUTELY!

When Phee and I requested Thieves by Ministry, the crowd didn't know what to do.

Yet they go apeshit for Lady Gaga?

WTF?

Maybe they were just being lazy with the pleasure of sin?

BTW, IF KMFDM ISN'T TOO METAL-Y, ANYONE LIKE TO HEAR DIE KRUPPS NOW AND AGAIN?

(They used to be more EBM-Y back in the day)

Doesn't really matter, I guess. Anything I wanted to hear (as far as dark music goes) has been played at Deadline and gets played at Something Cold. As far as my general music tastes, I have Underground As Hell, SPAG events, any night Human Fly spins, and the Garden Bowl for that.

It would be cool, though, to hear artists like Blank Dogs, Duchess Says, or automelodi at CC. Occasional playing of older stuff like Fad Gadget, Tuxedomoon, The Normal, or Suicide would be nice surprises as well. Hey, it's all "synthy" and dancey. :wink

I frickin love that stuff I am listening to Shadazz right now. But I don't see it at CC.

I agree with Joey Deadcat, almost verbatim.

Added: Skinny Puppy, MInistry, Front 242, Throbbing Gristle, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Siouxsie, Eno, Cabaret Voltaire, Neubauten, FLA, etc.

color]

You are secretly the coolest 40-year old trapped in a 20-something body.

The last time I played Cabaret Voltaire at City - instant dead dancefloor. It was sad... but I'd play them again as they are one of my all time favs. BTW, which era Ministry? Twitch by chance?

I would wait ALL DAY to hear THIS as a slowdown track

I think they should make friday a permanent old school night at cc and only play music from the first 15 years it was open that is from what i hear from my elders the best years of city when it was cool to be there.

e.t.a. also and they need to bring back the pitchers of long island ice tea.

That would be awesome! However, if there's not a demand, I guess I can't expect it.

Back in the day was not 1997. Back in the day is 1982. :p

OKAY! Let's expand the old school songs that always get mixed in throughout the night

from Just like Heaven, Dominion, and Cuts You Up to include this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJDBERdHzUA

Things that keep me on the dance floor

Nitzer Ebb

X-Marks The Pedwalk

Skinny Puppy

Godflesh

Frontline Assembly

Front 242

Machines of Loving Grace

The Birthday Massacre

Numb

Ministry

Hanzel Und Gretyl

Ladytron.

Meatbeat Manifesto

Haujobb

Cyber Aktiv

Download

Doubting Thomas

To name a few

Reading that list makes me wet :bow

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My, but times have changed - back when I was a CCer Thieves was always a hit on the dancefloor. :ohmy: Went wild on the dancefloor, myself, when it would get played (and it got played very often).

They still doing a conga line to Lords of Acid, btw?

Edited by Joey Deadcat

My, but times have changed - back when I was a CCer Thieves was always a hit on the dancefloor. :ohmy: Went wild on the dancefloor, myself, when it would get played (and it got played very often).

They still doing a conga line to Lords of Acid, btw?

I played it a few weeks back and since we have a microphone in the DJ booth now turned it on and said "conga line"...

Their was no response...

No Conga line, no Lords of Acid.

Also I have a new idea for how I am gonna handle request. I brought home my magic 8-ball. Somebody ask for a request, I shake it and tell em "Outlook not so good" or "Reply Hazy, try again later"

LMFAO! THAT IS AN AMAZING IDEA! Make sure you show them the answer you get. (And if its an answer you dont lie, reshake, bwahahahaha)

Also I have a new idea for how I am gonna handle request. I brought home my magic 8-ball. Somebody ask for a request, I shake it and tell em "Outlook not so good" or "Reply Hazy, try again later"

Hey S@in+, I have a "Sarcastic Ball" just like the 8-Ball, but the answers it gives are sarcastic, hence the name. You could use that...lol

Hey S@in+, I have a "Sarcastic Ball" just like the 8-Ball, but the answers it gives are sarcastic, hence the name. You could use that...lol

AWESOME! I'm capable of adding my own sarcasm as you know :p Next time we DJ together we'll need to bring our balls... er... you know what I mean!

I would LOVE to hear:

L'Ame Immortelle - Tiefster Winter (Zeromancer remix)

Fear Cult - Boys & Girls (Heard that once before, made my night)

Project Pitchfork Carnival..(there was a specific remix but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet...=\ )

There is a reason you dont hear metal at the clubs...

Go to IGUN, they play it.

Check CC circa mid 90's... and necto... a lot of fear factory, ministry, sepultura.... Prong....

Only in the last half a decade did it seem to go away completely.

Well I figured if the song isn't too heavy and has a decent dancing beat, whats the problem?

It was just a suggestion.

They used to play Static X, Powerman 5000 and a whole bunch of other beat heavy metal at the club... there was a time you could not go without hearing Static X... heh

Check CC circa mid 90's... and necto... a lot of fear factory, ministry, sepultura.... Prong....

Only in the last half a decade did it seem to go away completely.

I can't play metal at City Club because I'm still trying to understand all the classifications of it all. :p

Metal: This is where guys with long hair wail like tone-deaf banshees and play jerk-off guitar solos for arenas full of sleazy heshers with flimsy mustaches, dragon t-shirts, and 14-year-old girlfriends. died out in the late Eighties, but some sorry souls are still clinging to its corpse.

Black Metal and Death Metal: This is that awful tomfoolery with the big pretentious song structures and “BWAAARGHHH” vocals and Scandinavian guys who burn down orphanages and eat each others’ brains, right? The best part of this stuff is the band names, which sound like ten-year-olds trying to name their secret no-girls-allowed clubs.

Brutal Death Metal: assume this is like death metal but with slightly more intense band names. Like, for example, instead of a pedestrian death metal name like “Festering Corpse,” maybe a brutal death metal band would be called “Grotesque Festering Corpse.”

[80’s] Hair Metal: Shh, we’re trying to forget.

Fantasy Metal: Well, all metal fans play Dungeons and Dragons and read shitty fantasy novels. That’s just a given. But some of them are so nerdy that they can’t even enjoy their metal without explicit references to elves and swords and dragon-slaying. Hence this crap.

Fantasy Death Metal: Same as above, but probably deals with mercilessly slaughtering elves for Satan.

Metalcore: Adding “core” to the end of a type of music is functionally the same as adding “for morons in white belts.” So, take all the awfulness of hardcore and add some bitchin’ guitar riffs. Or, alternatively, take metal and remove anything that might be mistaken for music.

Grind: How does one even go about distinguishing a good grind band from a bad one?

Light Metal: . Is it like light rock? Is it metal for sissies? Somewhere out there is there the metal equivalent of Christopher Cross? “When you get caught between the moon and Satan’s fiery maw…”

Heaby Metal: What the fuck does “heaby” mean? Is this heavy metal for guys with sinus problems?

Rap Metal: rap metal is music for stupid people, but that’s not really fair. Everyone who listens to rap metal is stupid, but not all stupid people listen to rap metal.

Rap-Black-Metal: Rap metal with creepy Scandinavian guys?

Rap-Death-Black-Nu-Metalcore: Rap metal with creepy Scandanavian guys and scarier names and white belts?

Nu-Metal: The opposite of… music.

and if you want metal, maybe hit The Ritz, Harpos or Hayloft Liquor Stand -- someplace that rocks out with the cock out and jams out with the clam out!

City Clubs a dark dance club

I can't play metal at City Club because I'm still trying to understand all the classifications of it all. :p

Metal: This is where guys with long hair wail like tone-deaf banshees and play jerk-off guitar solos for arenas full of sleazy heshers with flimsy mustaches, dragon t-shirts, and 14-year-old girlfriends. died out in the late Eighties, but some sorry souls are still clinging to its corpse.

Black Metal and Death Metal: This is that awful tomfoolery with the big pretentious song structures and “BWAAARGHHH” vocals and Scandinavian guys who burn down orphanages and eat each others’ brains, right? The best part of this stuff is the band names, which sound like ten-year-olds trying to name their secret no-girls-allowed clubs.

Brutal Death Metal: assume this is like death metal but with slightly more intense band names. Like, for example, instead of a pedestrian death metal name like “Festering Corpse,” maybe a brutal death metal band would be called “Grotesque Festering Corpse.”

[80’s] Hair Metal: Shh, we’re trying to forget.

Fantasy Metal: Well, all metal fans play Dungeons and Dragons and read shitty fantasy novels. That’s just a given. But some of them are so nerdy that they can’t even enjoy their metal without explicit references to elves and swords and dragon-slaying. Hence this crap.

Fantasy Death Metal: Same as above, but probably deals with mercilessly slaughtering elves for Satan.

Metalcore: Adding “core” to the end of a type of music is functionally the same as adding “for morons in white belts.” So, take all the awfulness of hardcore and add some bitchin’ guitar riffs. Or, alternatively, take metal and remove anything that might be mistaken for music.

Grind: How does one even go about distinguishing a good grind band from a bad one?

Light Metal: . Is it like light rock? Is it metal for sissies? Somewhere out there is there the metal equivalent of Christopher Cross? “When you get caught between the moon and Satan’s fiery maw…”

Heaby Metal: What the fuck does “heaby” mean? Is this heavy metal for guys with sinus problems?

Rap Metal: rap metal is music for stupid people, but that’s not really fair. Everyone who listens to rap metal is stupid, but not all stupid people listen to rap metal.

Rap-Black-Metal: Rap metal with creepy Scandinavian guys?

Rap-Death-Black-Nu-Metalcore: Rap metal with creepy Scandanavian guys and scarier names and white belts?

Nu-Metal: The opposite of… music.

and if you want metal, maybe hit The Ritz, Harpos or Hayloft Liquor Stand -- someplace that rocks out with the cock out and jams out with the clam out!

City Clubs a dark dance club

Where would you put stuff like Prong, White Zombie, Fear Factory and such in the above categories? (You know the stuff that DJ Mark used to play back in the days of DJ Mark and DJ Dave? --- the dude with one arm)

Yes, yes, I understand all that. I do go to concerts often but there is less dancing and more moshing (for obvious reasons).

Once again, this is only a suggested song.

But, it is at least a song you can DANCE too. I'm not requesting some heavy song that will leave people unsure of what to do...or if they should headbang or just stomp around (like when they play Down with the Sickness at Necto...so awkward for me to dance to, though I love the song...and, I often find it difficult to dance to MSI also).

Even Ostegolation by Static-X is decent to dance to.

I'm just saying...not all metal songs are unable to be danced to or will leave people going WTF.

Where would you put stuff like Prong, White Zombie, Fear Factory and such in the above categories? (You know the stuff that DJ Mark used to play back in the days of DJ Mark and DJ Dave? --- the dude with one arm)

Yeah I remember both Mark and Dave. Mark used to play a lot more metal-type stuff back in the day. Keep in mind industrial bordered on and took a lot of influence from metal back then, with guitars sharing as much of the songs makeup as the synths. Cubanate, 16 Volt, Diatribe, Terminal Sect, Virus 23, Chemlab, the awful Electric Hellfire Club all come to mind. The above mentioned bands like Zombie, FF and Prong I would simply lump in as metal - they just managed to slide into the industrial clubs because they got industrial bands to remix them. It's a fine line I know. Ministry abandoned their industrial sound long ago. The guitar industrial thing died a very quick death didn't it? Got replaced by future-pop then goblin trance and who knows what else now.

Never been able to put my finger on my disliking for most metal/heavy guitar bands... it comes across as juvenille, over the top theatrics where you can barely understand the vocals and the image seems so fake. BUT alas I've just explained nearly every Suicide Commando clone as well. It must have something to do with the synthetics of industrial bands - that mechanized beat, that arpegiated basslines, those uniques sounds that a guitar can't replicate - I find myself more drawn to that sound than some 6 minutes of guitar riffs. Weird I know... but I do like some guitar industrial. Might also have something to do with industrial clubs being expected to play that stuff but when you walk into a metal bar they're not expected to play industrial...

where was I goign with this? :p

I agree that 96% (exact number... look it up) of the guitar industrial out there is just sort of... silly.... (I am not a fan of Ramstien, Marilyn Manson, etc...) But that little core group... Machines of Loving Grace, Ministry, etc... I LOVE THEM GOOD