The Biggest Loser DGN Style

Oh_My_Goth

I missed my back/shoulders workout last week and the power was out till late tonight so I couldn't do anything. I don't like my split being screwed up, or just working out one day out of seven. So repeating an old plan, I'm going to do a couple almost full-body bulking workouts which should be brutal, and then make up back and shoulders this week. What's tripped me up for the longest time was getting eating back down, some clean calories and some dirty, just keeping up a surplus.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the cardio. I started training more KM this week. I actually went to weapons.

Off topic:

There's a new chick in my KM class. She is probably 3-4 weeks into training and she is crazy over-eager to the point she just looks stupid. She doesn't control her elbow strikes so she's already elbowed some people in the class. Anyhow, during last night's aggression drill we were practicing choke from the side with one person defending, one person choking the defender and three other people with tombstone pads. This chick started doing flying knees, mind you, the instructor only wanted us to do palm strikes and/or elbows on the pads. Besides me and her, there were three other people in our group, two of which are not very experienced. Should I have said something to her about not doing the flying knees? It just made her look so fucking stupid. And it wasn't even what our instructor wanted us to do. And if the other people had dropped their pad, she surely would have kneed them in the face or chest. Out of the entire group, I'm a higher rank. I'm just not sure if it would be my place to say anything. We're there to train, not to hurt each other even though it happens sometimes. But this was just stupid.

Edited by KatRN05

Got my new gymnastic rings today. I'm excited since I can't lift heavy for a while so it's static holds and ring dips for me!

Still working on the cardio. I started training more KM this week. I actually went to weapons.

Off topic:

There's a new chick in my KM class. She is probably 3-4 weeks into training and she is crazy over-eager to the point she just looks stupid. She doesn't control her elbow strikes so she's already elbowed some people in the class. Anyhow, during last night's aggression drill we were practicing choke from the side with one person defending, one person choking the defender and three other people with tombstone pads. This chick started doing flying knees, mind you, the instructor only wanted us to do palm strikes and/or elbows on the pads. Besides me and her, there were three other people in our group, two of which are not very experienced. Should I have said something to her about not doing the flying knees? It just made her look so fucking stupid. And it wasn't even what our instructor wanted us to do. And if the other people had dropped their pad, she surely would have kneed them in the face or chest. Out of the entire group, I'm a higher rank. I'm just not sure if it would be my place to say anything. We're there to train, not to hurt each other even though it happens sometimes. But this was just stupid.

Oh, the noob spazz, I know it well. It's probably fine to quietly mention it to her, if only for the fact that she's not gaining much in the way of skill by making shit up during drills.

Went to Krav this morning. No cardio today. And I missed ground-fighting class because I over-slept.

Oh, the noob spazz, I know it well. It's probably fine to quietly mention it to her, if only for the fact that she's not gaining much in the way of skill by making shit up during drills.

Yeah, I don't want to piss her off and have her not come back. She's cool but she is the total newbie spazz i.e. walking around hammer-fisting the bags and the flying-knees. My personal favorite is when she first started, she refused to work with the other women in class. I was just going to mention to her to follow the direction of our instructor and to not do anything outside of that especially the knees. I was just worried that someone would drop their pad and she'd nail them in the chest. It's just unnecessary.

Edited by KatRN05

Went to Krav this morning. No cardio today. And I missed ground-fighting class because I over-slept.

Yeah, I don't want to piss her off and have her not come back. She's cool but she is the total newbie spazz i.e. walking around hammer-fisting the bags and the flying-knees. My personal favorite is when she first started, she refused to work with the other women in class. I was just going to mention to her to follow the direction of our instructor and to not do anything outside of that especially the knees. I was just worried that someone would drop their pad and she'd nail them in the chest. It's just unnecessary.

Well, good luck. I hope it turns out to be spazzy noobish excitement rather than spazzy noobish "I know everything here let me show you what a badass I am.". It's usually the former, just be aware.

Nothing beats the taste of a PWO beverage well earned. The rings are great. The consensus was that I as a barbell kinda guy wouldn't be able to do a damn thing on the rings right away. Wrongo. It was hard work, but no where near impossible stuff.

Got my bench up 5 pounds to 100. I tried atomic push-ups today which are like a push-up to an upside-down reverse cruncher to fatigue using cables or a ball; they made me want to hurl pretty fast.

I'm going to start doing cardio again for more functional/dynamic strength, and keep studying ways to make clean eating tasty.

I try to drink a lot of water just as a regular rule, but I've been unable to find any real studies or anything that give good data on how much water. All over the place you read "drink more water" or "you need X amount of water per day" but i can't really find any data on why or what the correct numbers would be.

Not to say "don't drink water" hell I don't even count the amounts (generally). It just seemed odd with something so widespread (we all sort of "know" we need to drink water, and most people need to drink more) but exactly how much, seems elusive.

It makes sense that "well if you lose X amount of water you should drink that much to make up for it." But, drinking what you lose is different than saying "this is the proper amount (and why)".

Its taking for god-dang-evarrrrr something like 7 dang weeks sin and I've lost like 6 pounds since the last time i posted. zzzzzzzzzzz.

I'm not trying real "hardcore" though, my motivation isn't very high, but at least so far its high enough to not stop (yet).

Which really, that's the key, we can all probably go on a 3 month binge of weight loss, keeping at it is the hard part. Its not even anything about some super secret system. Sometimes a complicated system is actually worse, since some people just get overwhelmed by all the details and quit. "Eat less exercise more" there, done. hah. The "keeping at it" over the long haul is the difficult part.

I try to drink a lot of water just as a regular rule, but I've been unable to find any real studies or anything that give good data on how much water. All over the place you read "drink more water" or "you need X amount of water per day" but i can't really find any data on why or what the correct numbers would be.

Not to say "don't drink water" hell I don't even count the amounts (generally). It just seemed odd with something so widespread (we all sort of "know" we need to drink water, and most people need to drink more) but exactly how much, seems elusive.

It makes sense that "well if you lose X amount of water you should drink that much to make up for it." But, drinking what you lose is different than saying "this is the proper amount (and why)".

Your body should give you a general indication of how much water you need per day. For me, it depends on how active I am during the day, and how much time I am spending out in the sun. On days where I just lay low in the apartment, somewhere between 40-60 oz (5-7 glasses) is usually good. On days I am more active, or days where it is especially hot 60-90 oz (7-10 glasses) is best for me. We've all heard the 8 glasses per day advice, but that's just a general suggestion, and it varies from person to person.

If you're not drinking enough water, you'll have symptoms (tired/no energy, dizzy, dry mouth, discomfort urinating, dry eyes, etc) of dehydration. Also, I found out the hard way that you can drink too much water. I woke up one morning feeling really dehydrated, and I overcompensated by drinking like 80 oz of water in 2 hours, and I started throwing it back up. Not fun!

Your body should give you a general indication of how much water you need per day. For me, it depends on how active I am during the day, and how much time I am spending out in the sun. On days where I just lay low in the apartment, somewhere between 40-60 oz (5-7 glasses) is usually good. On days I am more active, or days where it is especially hot 60-90 oz (7-10 glasses) is best for me. We've all heard the 8 glasses per day advice, but that's just a general suggestion, and it varies from person to person.

If you're not drinking enough water, you'll have symptoms (tired/no energy, dizzy, dry mouth, discomfort urinating, dry eyes, etc) of dehydration. Also, I found out the hard way that you can drink too much water. I woke up one morning feeling really dehydrated, and I overcompensated by drinking like 80 oz of water in 2 hours, and I started throwing it back up. Not fun!

It sounds reasonable but what feels right, but like your saying what we "think" is right isn't necessarily right. I don't ever feel the need to eat green leafy veggies for instance but I know they are good for me. I get sick for a 100 different reasons, its hard to just "feel" what is the correct response. Sometimes my gut reaction is correct, but often our gut reactions are based on what was good for us chasing gazelle-like animals a million years ago in the desert, and don't really apply now.

You know me, I'm not always looking for practical advice often I'm just going through a mental oversize of "how do i know something is true, which, i guess is practical in the long run, but not always practical in the short term. :p

I'm totally on board with the idea there, I was just saying that I've never really found any solid objective explanation about how/why/how much water someone actually should get, it all just seems very wishy-washy every time i read such suggestions info about water intake. As opposed to say, actual studies about how much of a given vitamin someone should get (which seem fairly well documented.)

Plus I'd like to get the proper amount before I get sick, not after, and preferably have the optimal amount, not just the minimum lets call it.

I'm thinking about joining curves. Like it or not I want to flatten up my tummy a bit. Yes I have two gyms that are free to me, but from what I remember I really liked going to curves. All you had to do was go to the next station when the music said so and after 30 minutes you had a full body work out. I want to either lose some of my tummy or lose 33 lbs. Which ever comes first.

• 1 month later...

Neat throws. Never done that judo one, but know one a little similar, the entrance is when your partner has you in a headlock and you roll to the side ending up in side top. Can be hard or very gentle.

Just got back from a weekend long kung fu retreat at a summer camp in gaylord. Amazing weekend. Did several hours of trapping (pak and lop sao) on the beach in the sun, BJJ under the stars with tiki torches all around, tai chi in the early morning on the beach, so much other stuff. One event we had was 1.5 hours long and we had fasted shields and focus mitts to two staggered rows of trees. We had to move from tree to tree in a zig zag pattern hitting each shield with 3 full power strikes and move on to the next one. Each lap of "the gauntlet" took about 3.5 to 4 minutes (thats basically 3.5 to 4 minutes of intense high impact cardio, punches and kicks) and between laps while waiting for the line to die down, we had to stand on plum posts (really just tree stumps 6-10 inches wide) and do kicks while maintaining balance. Out of about 100 kicks I only lost balance twice. I was pretty pleased with myself, I didnt know my balance had improved that much. I'm not sure if I like the gauntlet or the trapping seminar more. Saw some people break through thier limitations and do concrete and board breaks for the first time. Most impressive was 5 inch and a half thick blocks of concrete with palm strikes and 6 pieces of wood with a hammer fist. Though some of the breaks were done by little old ladies, and this one teeny tiny cute chick broke 3 blocks of concrete with an axe kick. Will be nice when I can say I'm ready to do neat stuff like that. Just gotta keep practicing. And practicing....and practicing...

I also had some of the best meditations I've ever had to date. Simply an amazing weekend on both a physical and spiritual level. Was all about zen. There was nothing else in the world to think about but the practice and the people practicing with me. Awesome.

On a more vain note....scale hit it's new best reading at 11.9% body fat. And 140 lbs. (I'm not a giant). So things are going well! This week or next week I'm going to be back into a strength phase with weights. And a classmate from the dojo and I are going to start practicing parkour together! He already has experience in it and LOTS more martial arts experience than I do, So it's not gonna be all "let's imitate youtube".

So basically I guess things are going quite well! Best shape of my life and my skills are starting to not suck so much.

That one is prettycool. but this one I think is it:

My link

Though the technique was very slightly different. Essentially the same technique, just some details were different is all. Being small this one is great for me because a little weight shift from me can do horrors to my partners' balance. REally easy to maintain control on this one if you also don't want to hurt your partner or drunk idiot who's attacking you.

On a side note...I'm a little sore this morning..love it.

Edited by Musashi