Dgn Camping Trip JULY 11, 12, & 13th!

So I had this awesome brain child of an idea.

I love forests and lakes (bet you wouldn't have been able to guess) and I have not been actually "roughing it" camping in God-knows-how-long (slightly post puberty, if you were wondering, so 13?)

I personally think we can make it happen. Originally I was going to just go with Raven but then I thought, well...why not make this an actual DGN event?

We would have a blast and it would be a great child friendly event, IMO.

I'm aiming for sometime in July (probably around my birthday, so second or third week in July). I'm starting to plan now, because last minute is obviously too late.

I'm looking for campgrounds that aren't too far up north or too far east so that people would be able to drive there easily, or hitch a ride with other DGNers. So Genessee county seems like a good bet and I found one that seems reasonable. Like I said, I'm still calling around, checking out sites, etc to make sure it's nice and affordable at the same time.

I'm talking tent camping here, so I can't guarantee if the facilities will have RV/cabin wuss stuff, because well, IMO that isn't camping. The only criteria I'm putting in is that it must have lake swimming, showers, and flush toilets. IMO anything after that is gravy. I guess I will also check off "playground" since most have one in the first place and that would encourage more members with children to come with.

I guess what I'm getting at, is if I were to totally coordinate the event (you guys would just have to pay and show up) and have it be maybe a 4 day thing in the summer, how many of you would be interested?

Like I said, it would be "full service" so to speak, I'd make all of the arrangements, handle the reservations, the payment (so you guys would have to pay me slightly in advance. I don't want to reserve a bunch of spaces for people that are "coming", pay for them myself, and then have you not show up.)

So...? Anyone think they'd be down for some DGN outdoors roughin' it? It'd be a blast and we'd all get to know each other better (it's hard to really get to know people at a club or party) and it would definately be one of DGN's most memorable events this year.

We'd also get to see each other running around in bathing suits, I mean how hot is THAT, right? :tongue::whistle:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Camping sounds great. I have a couple of tents and lots of gear for cooking. State parks are usually your best choice. I usually go to Brighton State Park. It's nice, lake for swimming and close enough to town in case you need something.

Hmm, that actually sounds good. Only because I know that 90% of DGN members are on the westside, so I'm looking for something westside oriented.

Also, I'd be going through there and could pick up some "stragglers" on the way :laugh:

I'll look into that park, thanks for the suggestion!

We did this for a few years long ago when Marblez was organizing the event. We stayed at a cabin up by Pontiac that was once used for one of Kevorkian's suicidals. It was a sweet place that somewhat reminded you of Friday the 13th because of the pond nearby that would steamup on a muggy night. We had loads of fun though when a good amount of people would show up. Reminds me of those days when Taz (RIP) would come up and be part of the original group. I certainly would like to see it happen again.

We did this for a few years long ago when Marblez was organizing the event. We stayed at a cabin up by Pontiac that was once used for one of Kevorkian's suicidals. It was a sweet place that somewhat reminded you of Friday the 13th because of the pond nearby that would steamup on a muggy night. We had loads of fun though when a good amount of people would show up. Reminds me of those days when Taz (RIP) would come up and be part of the original group. I certainly would like to see it happen again.

That's totally sweet. If it's already been done once and been successful than I have hope it'll work this time. Hey, who knows, maybe we should all do this every year.

Yes, I'll aim for a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday thing (so weekenders can show up on Friday and check out on Sunday if they want, and others, such as myself, can stay until Monday), Crank.

Also my criteria for searching is: swimming, flush toilets, showers, and a playground for zee childrenz.

Not to be gross, but I need modern bathrooms. The last time I went truely roughin' I was like "I gotta go to the bathroom, like...not pee" and someone handed me a shovel. Yeaaahhh...didn't happen. Not a fun time :laugh:.

Yes, I'll aim for a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday thing (so weekenders can show up on Friday and check out on Sunday if they want, and others, such as myself, can stay until Monday), Crank.

Also my criteria for searching is: swimming, flush toilets, showers, and a playground for zee childrenz.

Not to be gross, but I need modern bathrooms. The last time I went truely roughin' I was like "I gotta go to the bathroom, like...not pee" and someone handed me a shovel. Yeaaahhh...didn't happen. Not a fun time :laugh:.

I don't know of many camping areas that have all those facilities. In my opinion, its not real camping. The place we had in Pontiac had an outhouse and no shower facilities. It had a woodburner to keep the place warm and a bunch of bunk beds. I think its better when its more primitive. People can shower up saturday before they come and then go home sunday to shower up. If you have all those facilities, then it might as well be a hotel.

I don't know of many camping areas that have all those facilities. In my opinion, its not real camping. The place we had in Pontiac had an outhouse and no shower facilities. It had a woodburner to keep the place warm and a bunch of bunk beds. I think its better when its more primitive. People can shower up saturday before they come and then go home sunday to shower up. If you have all those facilities, then it might as well be a hotel.

Very true. You guys rented cabins? I usually wouldn't do cabins, but I figure this: People who really REALLY want to rough it can just pitch a tent outside :laugh:. How many people were in the cabins and how much did it cost you guys a day(if you can remember)? Cabins create versatility for people: For those who don't like the thought of Jason Voorhees being able to come by at any time and silently slit a hole in your tent and kill you while your sleeping can stay in the cabins. Anyone who is crazy like me and wants to stay in a tent outside the cabin and truely "rough it" will also be able to.

Also, they were in Pontiac? That's actually a good location because it's far enough to the westside so most people from there would be able to drive there, and it's close enough for us eastsiders too.

Also, I have another general question for anyone that is interested because this trip will be totally freaking AWESOME: In reference to drive distance, how far is too far?

Also, how many people out there would like to go, yet don't think they have a ride?

This is all very pertenant. I'm trying to get as big of a draw of DGN members as humanly possible, so EVERYONE is encouraged to attend (which is why I'm giving everyone a heads up like four months in advance).

Outhouses scare me for the sheer fact that there may be monsters in that crap-filled cavern. If there are monsters, they're probably pissed off monster on top of that because people have been taking dumps on them for several years, possibly decades. You always take a gamble going into those things. I mean you never know, are you gonna take a shit? Or are you going to get your ass torn off by the Poop Ness Monster that lives down thurr in that there hole?

I will do it though...and be brave the whole time :laugh:. I don't mind not showering, as gross as that sounds, I don't really smell until like maybe 5 days after not showering (do not ask me how I know this), so I can deal with outhouses.

So long as someone doesn't hand me a shovel and say "Here, have fun."

Sounds like fun,as long as its a weekend thing and they have shower facilities its a plan

LOL That's what buckets and jugs of water are for!

I really require nothing beyond an outhouse or port-a-johns. I'm a pretty durable girl.

Fuck, Nienna, I got you beat. I just smell :rofl:. I'm a sharing type of person, so if I have to smell me for four days, I want to share the wealth.

LOL I've rough camped for 2 weeks straight and I NEVER smell. LOL

Also, I have another general question for anyone that is interested because this trip will be totally freaking AWESOME: In reference to drive distance, how far is too far?

Since it's a weekend thing, I'd be willing to go as far north as Flint/Owasso, as far west as Jackson and as far south as Adrian.

LOL I've rough camped for 2 weeks straight and I NEVER smell. LOL

I know...I smell after about two weeks. It's something like a blend between potpourri and a botanical garden. :whistle:

Now will this be:

Bring your own tent, we're actually camping.

Or

If you have a camper, that's camping.

I know when I thinks of teh camping. I remember of the camping I used to do as a kid. Tents, campfire, hotdogs, s'mores, and ground.

Then again, when I would go to Canada with my Late Grandma and Late Grandpa Knight, we used to load up the *and this is true* Doge Omni, and the pop-up camper. That was alot of fun. Canada has the most Beautiful campgrounds.

If you needz help with finding camping info, I can ask my Aunt Chris, she goes camping just about all summer long. :)

*edit*

Archived