Anxiety

twilight

Does anyone else have trouble with it? It seems counselors are always too quick and always say you need meds. It seems there could be better ways to deal with anxiety. Meds have too many side effects. And what about nature vs nuture? If someone you live with is anxious, I can see how I would be anxious too. my home life is not good but sadly I don't make enough to be on my own.

I have serious anxiety problems. Most counselors are quick to medicate when the anxiety interferes with daily functioning. In addition to prescribing medication, counselors often teach relaxation techniques and help you work through whatever it is that is causing the anxiety so you don't become too reliant upon the medication.

I had an emotionally traumatic experience about a year ago, that caused me to feel anxiety. I still think of it sometimes. How do you all deal with yours ?

I used to think talking about it helps. But my family doesn't care to hear what bothers me . But usually I do stuff for me. music, my computer, crafts, reading

I saw a good article on Yahoo but I can't find it. It said something about surroundings around you can make you anxious. It mentioned nature vs nuture.

In the spring, I might try to find a counselor. Some use Cognitive Behavior Therapy for anxiety.

I had an emotionally traumatic experience about a year ago, that caused me to feel anxiety. I still think of it sometimes. How do you all deal with yours ?

It depends on what is causing the anxiety. If it's a person, I'll write a letter (that I will never give them) telling them how I feel, or I'll talk to my significant other (unless he's the cause of the anxiety) because he always knows how to make me feel better, or I'll call up one of my friends and talk.

Sometimes I can make myself see the rational side to things (most of my anxiety is due to my irrational thinking/paranoia/jealousy/insecurity), and then I'm ok.

Most times though, I just let it fester until I can't sleep and I start thinking about all these horrible scenarios. I need to get better at trying to deal with it, but sometimes it's just too much.

I go through anxiety, it used to be much worse than it is now. I won't take meds for it since I also go through phases of detachment, and no amount of drugs is going to help that. Living with someone who has a panic/all-or-nothing mindset about everything probably made it worse for me.

How do you all deal with yours ?

I think the trick to getting through a bad anxiety attack is to stay relaxed which coincidentally can be a very hard thing since usually your trying to force yourself to relax. For instance I have more faith in myself than I used to, by taking small steps towards being relaxed each time I was in a situation with very bad anxiety. So having faith in yourself and your ability to do things your unsure if your capable of, helps a great deal with anxiety.

I have been fortunate that the anxiety I experience is easily handled through relaxation techniques and taking a long look at what could be the cause, then facing it head on and forcing myself to deal with it. There is only one period in my life where it was necessary to take meds due to the severity and frequency of the attacks, but that was only needed for a couple of months. Surprisingly, when the relationship I was in at the time ended, the severe/frequent anxiety attacks reduced drastically.

Good luck, twilight. I know what a big vat of suck they can be. And remember, we are here if you need us.

I have suffered from social and general anxiety and panic attacks for as long as I can remember. Most of it is associated with depression and bipolar disorder along with a few phobia's I have.

Xanax and Ativan work great but are highly addictive and I haven't touched Xanax in over a year, Ativan on the other hand.. I've been sneaking a few here and there. If I could take Xanax and not have an issue with it I would but unfortunately I had a very serious addiction with it and refuse to touch it again.

I can usually get myself under control and not go into a full blown panic attack by breathing technique's and trying to focus on something, which took years to learn through the help of therapy. If that doesn't work then I'm screwed for 30 seconds to 5 minutes and the panic attacks I experience are absolutely horrible.

When I met Jon 10 years ago, he had horrible anxiety attacks every night. He was 19 at the time. They had originally been brought on when, at 17, he smoked some pot that was probably laced with something and ended up reacting really, really bad to it. The initial reaction was anxiety, nausea, and happened in the evening. He quit cold-turkey, but ended up homeridden for a year over it almost. From that day forward, every evening, he'd have an anxiety attack. And anytime he got a bad stomach, it'd bring on an attack.

When I met him, I taught him some breathing techniques and what would probably be considered meditation, though it wasn't anything so formal. That was the first thing that ever helped him control an attack to any degree. But he was still pretty bad.

He went on Effexor XR sometime in 2002. And the change was astounding. The attacks pretty much disappeared. And it helped him level his moods as well. He would very easily become enraged at things, really overreacting to stressful situations. On Effexor, he was able to control himself and react accordingly.

He just yesterday shared with me that he's going to try to wean himself off it now. I'm supportive of him in this, but very nervous. I hope it goes well for him, but I'm already having nightmares about him getting overly angry at things.

When I was a massive pothead I would get anxiety to go in different public places (i.e. grocery store, bank, etc), but that's understandable. If you constantly do that shit, like on an allllll day basis, if defiantely fucks with your head.

Now I'm the calm zen little center of the world (for the most part).

I'll get anxiety over relationship stuff that is out of my control (i.e. boyfriend) buuuuttt I just bottle it up and it turns into this little singing tumor all the way in the back of my frontal lobe.

I'm sure it can't be that healthy, but hey, in a relationship you have two options: Either speak your mind causing constant never-ending bicker fights that make you want to die, OR supress everything and try to tell yourself that everything's okay all the time.

I choose the latter because it doesn't interfere with my daily life and less of my house ends up being broken and destroyed, especially since I don't even usually get to be the one that wrecks it.

I'm a pretty anxious person. There's no one way I deal with it, it depends on what's causing it.

In social situations I am probably too quick to reach for the alcohol or cling to someone that I know, but I've found both to be good ways to meet new people, which helps me deal in the long run. Ideally, though I just try to find one person who looks nice and start a conversation with them. It always seems much harder than it is.

If I'm stressed about having too much to do, I take a breath and a pause and try to break down what I have to do into smaller pieces so I don't feel so overwhelmed by the big picture. If that doesn't work I take a small amount of time to focus on a hobby or call a friend to calm me down, then try again.

If a person in causing me anxiety, assuming it's someone I know and not someone I've just met, 9 times out of 10 the only thing that makes me feel better is to confront them. If I don't it will eat at me for a long time and I'll eventually lose my temper with them.

I get alot of anxiety. I choose not to deal with it. When something starts to make me anxious, I just refuse to deal with, think about, or dwell on the issue. It usually goes away on it's own. Sooo yeah. I live life with blinders on basically.

well this has certainly been an interesting read.

Thanks for your replies.

The experience I had, without going into it too much, was the last relationship I was in.

The woman I was with was suffering from depression due to some incredibly challenging life experiences she had been having.

I tried to be there for her, and tried to take some of the load off of her, emotionally.

It didnt work.

It was far more of an emotional endeavor then I ever thought it would be.

We made peace about 6 months ago, and talk every once in a great while. So now I feel alittle anxious when I think about finding someone new, but I think if I find someone different then what I usually go for, that I will be ok, if I ever find myself in the position to be with someone again.

I'm sure it can't be that healthy, but hey, in a relationship you have two options: Either speak your mind causing constant never-ending bicker fights that make you want to die, OR supress everything and try to tell yourself that everything's okay all the time.

I'm with you there. And both options suck. I open my mouth - fights. I keep my mouth shut and tell myself everything is okay - it turns into extreme anxiety.

I'm with you there. And both options suck. I open my mouth - fights. I keep my mouth shut and tell myself everything is okay - it turns into extreme anxiety.

What is the point of being in a relationship with someone if you can't talk to them about everything thats on your mind? Seriously, why deal with that anxiety?

What is the point of being in a relationship with someone if you can't talk to them about everything thats on your mind? Seriously, why deal with that anxiety?

The things that I bring up are because of my paranoia/insecurity/jealousy, and it causes fights. At the time, whatever is going on in my head is a real concern and seems legitimate at the time. It's just better to keep it to myself because it avoids the fighting, and eventually I realize that I was just being a nut again and my fears/concerns are irrational.

Its nice to see I am not alone. I might try to go to counseling again in the Spring. I have to wait until Spring b/c I can't stand driving in the snow. Another anxiety I guess.

Driving in snow sucks. Counseling is good when you have the right counselor. If this one doesn't work, try another one. Keep trying until you find one that works for you. Good luck!

My wife has anxiety issues.

it used to competely lock her down, she couldent even go outside and constatnly thought she was going to die - the physical manifestations from anxiety attacks are powerful. I spent many a night (or day) in the emergecny room.

Her dad has it.

her sister has it.

Lola no longer has actual anxiety attcks - or panic attacks at least. Shes been off all meds now for many years.

but she has to watch it - certain things can trigger it.

social imbalances - trigger it. this is one fo the reasons why we never let shit fester in our relationship.

Bad family relationships trigger it - weve had to cut out some people who were agressors.

Cigarettes and caffeine or any form of stimulant can trigger it. She has to be very cognizant of what she takes into her body.

Overall health - weight - habits - can trigger it.

when shes not in some routine of working out (in this case shes a skater) her anxiety quickly builds - working out habitually really takes alot of the edge off.

Too much sugar believe it or not - can trigger it.

Spirituality of a defined sort - helps her tremendously too - it allows her to think within perspective.

I hope you are able to get soem help soon.

I have to watch my caffeine and sugar intake, because those are triggers for me too.

Too much caffeine especially will launch me into a full anxiety attack.

Since I quit drinking alcohol, I have had less anxiety attacks, but I still have anxiety (it's actually a little worse, but that's because I still haven't learned how to properly deal with it).

Archived