Now Reading... (or Recently Finished)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Terry Goodkind's "Phantom" So glad he stopped writing at a third grade level. No more listening to your editor, Terry! lol. Each (admittedly ginormous) book has plenty of everything i love in a yummy book; blood, action, romance, intrigue, magic and sexy people who actually have a brain behind those pretty eyes, and strong women! yaay! oo! and cool fight scenes!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now reading "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden",

it's about a girl with schizophrenia, and blah blah blah.

But, I feel the need to mention my favorite book.

It's titled "The End of Alice".

Here's a summary (not written by me, but stolen because I'm merely too damn lazy):

"In this deeply disturbing novel, Homes seems to be attempting to create as repulsive a protagonist as possible-a nameless pedophile serving his 23rd year at Sing Sing. Alongside his narrative is the tale of a 19-year-old college coed obsessed by a preteen boy. A large part of the novel centers on the half-real, half-imagined ties that develop between the convict and the college student as a result of her increasingly graphic letters to him. The rest is a reminiscence of his affair with a 12-year-old seductress named Alice that ends in her gruesome murder. Deliberately shocking and confrontational, Homes's purpose seems to be to force the reader into a kind of Dostoevskian identification with the blackest and most perverse elements of human nature."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Megalicious

Infinite in All Directions by Freeman Dyson.

I have just ordered a collection of his papers. Cost me a bit, but after reading this book something tells me its going to SO WORTH it.

Been on a Charlie Stross kick with Halting State, The Atrocity Archive, and Jennifer Morgue. Stross and John Scalzi are my currently my favorite sci-fi authors-of-the-moment.

Halting State - Tracking down the mind behind the robbery of the banks in what's basically World of Warcraft.

The Atrocity Archive - Cthulhu-punk meets spy thriller with a healthy dose of mathematics-as-necromancy. Throw in some universe-jumping Nazis for good measure. Nazis...I hate those guys.

Jennifer Morgue - Follow-up to The Atrocity Archive with a healthy dose of Ian Fleming.

I'm back in my "can't read anything without pictures" space. Just finished Uzumaki (yeah, it was a fansub... sue me). Not usually into horror manga but Ito's brand of creepy grotesquery is endlessly fascinating. Now working on the new Shonen Jump which just arrived yesterday. I need more manga!

I had that book pretty much memorized when I was in high school. I really wished I could escape into my own hallucinated world.

But, I feel the need to mention my favorite book.

It's titled "The End of Alice".

Here's a summary (not written by me, but stolen because I'm merely too damn lazy):

"In this deeply disturbing novel, Homes seems to be attempting to create as repulsive a protagonist as possible-a nameless pedophile serving his 23rd year at Sing Sing. Alongside his narrative is the tale of a 19-year-old college coed obsessed by a preteen boy. A large part of the novel centers on the half-real, half-imagined ties that develop between the convict and the college student as a result of her increasingly graphic letters to him. The rest is a reminiscence of his affair with a 12-year-old seductress named Alice that ends in her gruesome murder. Deliberately shocking and confrontational, Homes's purpose seems to be to force the reader into a kind of Dostoevskian identification with the blackest and most perverse elements of human nature."

That book, "I never Promised You a Rose Garden" sounds good. I am going to have to add to my list of books to check out.

Guest Megalicious

I just finished Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku. A very fun ready indeed!! :)

I just finished Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku. A very fun ready indeed!! :)

Everything of his I read fascinates me, and I'm not very good with science

Guest Megalicious

Everything of his I read fascinates me, and I'm not very good with science

The man is a born communicator *nods* :)

I just picked up " Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreeich. It doesn't look like my usual read it is for class, but at least it doesn't look boring...

• 1 month later...

Just finished: Buried Alive- the terrifying history of our most primal fear (Jan Bondeson)

Before that: A Brief History of the Smile (Angus Trimble)

It's weird, doing the withdrawal thing is the only time I can read actual full-length books... dunno why but it was the same when the met clinic 86'd me. Started reading again, then stopped as soon as I got on the bupe.