Now Reading... (or Recently Finished)

Wow, no one's posted here in almost a month??? Sad....

I'm reading The Scarlet Pimpernel for the 3rd (?) time...I love this book SO GODDAMNED MUCH. So much. It is excellent. Very recommended.

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't been reading very much, and when I have....it's been really silly kid's manga. XD hahaha

EDIT:

Finished it. It's a quick quick read. Anyway, you can read it online here - the original is the one third on the left, "The Scarlet Pimpernel". I recommend starting there. It's actually the only one I've read, but now that I know of the others I will be reading them as well!! XD

Edited by TheOsakaKoneko

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I borrowed and recently read "A New Earth" by Eckhart Toll. This book along with Anthony Robbins's "Awaken The Giant Within" were both life-changing reads for me.

To summarize its basically a Zen kind of book that makes the points of being aware of the ego, that awareness of the ego (which will trap one in the past or future), form, formlessness, and "now." And that awareness of now is of itself the primary sufficiency of identity following ego. The book also goes into the idea of a "pain-body," which I contrasted with references and beliefs (from Awaken The Giant Within): and the pain-body seems A New Earth's way of giving name to fixable neurosis. I felt I could agree with most everything in this book within my worldview, or to fit the book's context, my ego's worldview (being a skeptic and Atheist), using the references to God in Einsteinian context, excluding that Jesus existed, and any other things that I would be skeptic towards.

Edited by Scales

this is a really good book, I plan to do some exploring this summer. Hell i just gotta take the camcorder over to this ladies house we hear and see shit all the time, everyone does its spoooky and they get stuck to me.

To live with me you must love spooky cause spooky happens around me alot dunno why.

Haunted Michigan By the Rev Gerald S. Hunter. excellent book. some houses or locations you can go visit!

Just started Tolstoy's classic, War and Peace. Newer english translation as I don't speak or read russian. Also doubles as a handy way to deflect bullets, arrows and other small projectiles.

Thank you so much for this idea! I looked it up after seeing this and decided to read it, and it's really really good so far!! I'm still only on Book 1 Chapter 10 or so, so who knows, but so far it's pretty entertaining! This is one of those that gets such a bad rep for being boring but is actually not at all...very strange.

Thank you so much for this idea! I looked it up after seeing this and decided to read it, and it's really really good so far!! I'm still only on Book 1 Chapter 10 or so, so who knows, but so far it's pretty entertaining! This is one of those that gets such a bad rep for being boring but is actually not at all...very strange.

I think that people assume length = boring. It's one of those books that everyone talks about but apparently no one has ever read.

I think that people assume length = boring. It's one of those books that everyone talks about but apparently no one has ever read.

I never hear it even talked about...the name mentioned, surely, but never the contents. I never guessed it was this fun and interesting about daily life and court intrigue and whatnot - things I love to read about. It's fabulous. I am almost through with the first book. I love the characterization.

I never hear it even talked about...the name mentioned, surely, but never the contents. I never guessed it was this fun and interesting about daily life and court intrigue and whatnot - things I love to read about. It's fabulous. I am almost through with the first book. I love the characterization.

I hear about it from people who consider themselves to be fonts of knowledge about great literature. Unfortunately, when pressed they reveal that they've never read it.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear about it from people who consider themselves to be fonts of knowledge about great literature. Unfortunately, when pressed they reveal that they've never read it.

How are you getting along? I am really enjoying this book! So far it is still very very amusing and interesting. I have heard that near the end it gets rather preachy and has long essays thrown in, but I'm not there yet. Still just great glimpses into each character's life.. Tolstoy was truly a gifted writer. Each character is so full, so detailed, so believable...so real. I love them. I really like this. :thumbup:

I'm on Book 6 now, myself. A little over 1/3 through?

In unrelated reading, I am rereading Peach Girl manga as my before-bed reading (manga is so good right before falling asleep - light and easy and not too engrossing, and easy to pick up wherever you left off), and I just picked up a new book that I am EXTREMELY excited to get to later, Wasurenagusa ("Forget Me Not") by Yoshiya Nobuko, one of my favorite writers, from 1940s Japan. :wub:

Edited by TheOsakaKoneko

Guest Megalicious

I just finished the Book of blood Volume one by Clive Barker.

I picked up Atlas Shrugged the other day..... I have a crappy bent up .. re-read, old copy but I wanted a new one. theheheh I am reading it ... again.

I've never been bored by a Russian novel... the characters are all way intense, completely nutty, or both.

Making another effort to read something that isn't manga, I just started Leonardo's Swans (Karen Essex) and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (the godlike Susanna Clarke). Last thing I actually finished was Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson.

• 2 weeks later...

Still reading War and Peace, haven't had much time lately so I've not progressed too far, still on Book 8, but OMGOMGOMG it is soooooo good.... SO GOOD.

So much of human character is expressed so perfectly here. So much... All our strengths and mostly all our weaknesses, spelled out laid out on display... OMG READ THIS BOOK.

DO IT.

Sidetracked from Susanna Clarke's extremely dense Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell to her much more readable short story collection. I think the darkly-witty Regency style works best in short story/novella format... gets kind of tedious to wade through more than 100 pages of clever circumlocution.

I'm reading "Morrigan's Cross" by Nora Roberts. It's pretty good so far!

I am also reading "Everyday Lessons: Understanding the Events, Interactions, and Attitudes That Make Up Your Life". It's a spiritualism book, sort of..

Currently reading China Trade by S J Rozan. It a mystery novel with a PI and her partner. I like it, I hope it ends good.

I know this is about books being read or have read. But, I would like to share something. It called Book Page. It a review of books and authors. It really cool and informative. If one would like, here is the link:

http://bookpage.com/

Blessed Be/Take Care

• 2 weeks later...