How many people have been

DJ Nocker

I was just wondering, like seriusly.

Who on this forum has been diagnosed with some form of mental illness. Im not talking about "Oh everyone thinks i am" or "oh i show all the symptoms so i must be" or you people who think its cool to act that way for attention. Im talking a doctor has diagnosed you, a professional. Im sick of people bragging about mental problems they have to get attention, especially when they havent even been diagnosed.

Myself personaly, i have been Diagnosed with being ADHD (although i dont really count that becuase the definition of this changes every 3 hours...) and i am Bi-polar. I dont think these are things to be happy about having, they can make life difficult, agree?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Megalicious

They can make life more then just difficult. I have been diagnosed with a great many things, from Bipolar (type 2), Dysthymic Disorder a type of deppresion. And though I have been threw all this differnt types of treatment for different type of depression nothing has ever worked untill now. I have now been diagnosed with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) and have being going through the DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) Program here in my county. Though it is still the begining I have seen a dramatic change, not to mention the change my SO has seen. It nice not to be so angry/uspet/sad all the time, it nice not to live in the "emotional mind". I'm just glad to feel some sort of relief, though skeptical at first it has really made a great improvement, I just wish I could have found it a little sooner .. perhaps like 25 years sooner lol .. =)

<-- currently diagnosed as and being successfully treated for severe clinical depression.

The current meds I'm on work so subtly, I'm tempted often to go off them. I'm "normalized" perfectly - no down- or up-swings.

Same story as my husband. Been on the same meds for about 3 years now after being diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder & depression. He's so normal now, it's amazing.

Effexxor XR - good stuff.

ADHD here, and that's it-the diagnosis was about 10 years ago, and I don't take any adderal or ritalin or do followup visits to the shrink, so I don't know if I've "grown out of it." I don't *THINK* I have.

I've thought about checking into adult medication for it, because I sometimes have trouble with procrastination and scatterbraindedness, but I don't know if that's a chemical or mental thing. I think a lot of ADHD diagnoses aren't really due to a chemical imbalance at all, and from what I've heard, there's no way to quantitatively measure it.

As for living with it, I'm kinda happy as a fruit loop. =) God knows I connect better with other people who've been diagnosed as ADHD. Most of my students and their parents (the people who matter most to my "professional" life) like me the way I am despite my sometimes spastic teaching style.

Nope. She said I had cognetive thinking disorder but it is nothing normal mind processes cannot over come.

It comes from being abused as a child. I think everything I do is wrong now at first....I have to tell myself it is ok and follow through on everything....I self doubt now.

But no, I don't need meds. Oh and I have S.A.D. It is hereditary and there is nothing I can do. My seratonin level just gets too low when it is dark out for a long time, thats why I crave chocolate in the winter.

Oh I have Adult ADD but I dont take anything for it.

OH and some kind of shock syndrome like soldiers get. Certain things trigger stress and thus my narcalepsy and I sorta just go 'bonk' and fall right asleep.

So I cannot blame my actions on being nuts, it's just me. I am normally wierd I guess.

Not me, but I know several people who have.

I have been diagnosed with ADD (diagnosed before they classified all as ADHD), numeric dyslexia, hypoglycemia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and really bad Anemia ... but none of those are mental disorders.

Type 2 is the what they have labled the more mild type of Bipolar...

Some different types but not all of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks. :cool

i know someone who i was told is manic depressive/bi polar so that is the only *type* i am familiar with. (she has the real highs and lows of it. being quite manic and then depressed)

Guest Megalicious

I believe the only really differnce is the intensity of the manic episodes, Type 1 tend to be more on the schizo side. The mania gets so bad they start seeing things and hearing shit. Atleast that is the general idea I get from it.

Guest Megalicious

I believe I may have a hint of OCD =) I have this thing with nacho's and burrito's ... THEY MUST BE EVEN , every thing on them must be in the same amount!!! Jarod calls them my OCD nacho's =)

The difference between type 1 and type 2 bipolar was explained to me as:

type 1 generally experiencing mania mostly, while type 2 have fairly equal amounts of highs and lows. Type 2's can hallucinate, though it is correct that type 2 is not as severe as type one. Mine is rapid cycling, and the times when I have a high and low going at the same time suck.

Archived