Moderating Topics

Steven

I remember... (damn pot)

Addiction is physical and Habit is mental.

Certian drugs form a physical addiction.. other do not. Pot and Heroin are good examples.

Heroin creates a strong physical addiction. You don't even have to try it that many times to get addictied. Cases have been reported with as little as 3 uses causing physical addiction. Anyone can become addicted to it, ANYONE. It doesn't matter how strong you mental will power is... You cant change the chemical reactions in your brain with will power.

THC, the active ingrediant in Pot, does not form this physical addiction. It does, like many many things, with repeated use become a habit. How deep that habit runs  depends on the will power of the user.

In both cases, Will power can win out. You have to have great will power to over come an addiction... but your still an addict. For the rest of your life. One time slipping up and shooting up is all it takes to put you back to square one fighting a raving addiction. A habit on the other hand is not so bad. One slip doesn't doom you so much, it just means your out of munchies.

I think this is correct...

Psycholically addictive, and physically addictive are different things, although they can go hand in hand...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not to sound like an ass, i'm asking this out of curiosity, not out of sarcasm - but do you mean all illegal drugs, or all drugs? what about things like antidepressants? personally, i wonder where we draw the line on which drugs are/are not bad. (remember, cocaine used to be legal - they sold it in coca-cola!) i kind of think of it along the same lines as "guns don't kill people, people do" (figuratively speaking) i see nothing wrong with any drug, or the taking of that drug, if you're strong enough to remain in cotrol of it, as opposed to letting it control you, you know? that's a hard thing for many people to do...

i know many people, myself included, whose interest in (certain) drugs stems from other areas, two of which are spiritual exploration, and just simple curiosity - both of which apply to me. i'm sure many people turn to them for negative reasons, but there are many others who don't fall into that category.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mean drugs as in the obvious dangerous ones. It's pretty obvious that heroine is bad for you. You can try to ddebate it all you want but at worst it can ruin your life and at best it is bad for the human body.

You may take drugs for spiritual reasons, but if you're trippin on LSD or snorting coke or whatever, it is bad for your body. Many people who took drugs for spiritual enlightenment in the 60's are pretty messed up now.

You're not going to find too many medical doctors who will justify your position of drugs.

of course, you're right about those, but most everything people enjoy that can be labelled a vice is bad for you - including cigarettes, alcohol, caffiene, processed sugars, sodas - i could go on. the key, for me personally, and in my belief for everyone else, is moderation...

You're not going to find too many medical doctors who will justify your position of drugs.

and again, personally, i don't care if i do - i don't like medical doctors - i don't like the way they push unnecessary drugs on people who most likely really don't need them... i think they (doctors, drug companies) have a vested interest in masking your external symptoms with these drugs, while never correcting the underlying issues, solely to keep people coming back for more treatment and more drugs.

now that i think about it, i'm not really concerned if i find anyone who will justify my position on anything - it works for me - i am comfortable with it. =)

I dont really care about the alleged (if it exists) so called data behind the study of addictions. All you really have to do is look around.

Addiction to me - is basically when soemthing, or somone, takes precedence in your life above all other things, as a form of escapism.

Dosent matter if there is physical withdrawl or psychological withdrawl - the draw is the same - the intent is the same - most often the end result is the same.

We are a society that is bred for escapism.

And bred for Eupha-mysticism........we label, we dodge personal responsibility, we do anything and everything to ensure that its not our fault. We were born this way. Our parents passed it on to us. We have the wrong color skin. We were born into the wrong tax bracket. I was abused. I was misled. I was abandoned.

I cannot deal. Not on my own power. Because I dont even know what my own poiwer is, let alone who i am, or why I'm here, or what i can do.

Of course, there are exceptions. I do not mean to paint in such broad brush strokes. But I also beleive - that in the majority of the circumstances - what most of us need is some basic life skills, relational tools, and community.

Because those are your voids that you try to fill with escape.

Were bred to be addicts of every form.

So that we do not lead.

And if we do not lead, we therefore become the led.

Oh hell yeah.. thats exactly correct.

I only brought up the "science" behind habits and addiction because one can be overcome and the other is a life long struggle.

but more to your point.. let me just say...

This is ME.

I've done the things I've done.

I'll do the things I'm going to do.

In the end, wether my world crumbles at my feet

Or I stand high on the mountain in glory

This is ME, and it's all my fault.

:devil Interesting thread here,I myself will not post personal stuff if I can help it,only because of the reactions I might get.

But when it comes to opinions and bashing,yeah bashing other people on this board is not right,PM the person instead.When it comes to opinions,everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter what.I myself are very opinionated.If someone wants to state their opinion they should be aloud too,but some opinions that might be contraversal should mayby be kept off,depending on what it is about.If someone does not agree with someone elses opinion,they should be respectful and not say something rude,but just say "I don't agree with you" in a respectful way.I don't really care if someone does'nt agree on my opinions,don't bother me at all.Now bashing people that are not on this board should not offend anyone at all.There are other friends of mine on DGN that may bash someone that I like in a movie or in a band or on tv.It will not bother me at all,because we are still friends,and that may be my friends opinion,just like they don't care if I did the same. I hate George Bush,so what, I can't stand him and his retarded policies,Hey its my opinion.I hate the justice system because its fucked up,like the government.I hate 90% of society because it is full of disrespect,and I hate wannabe's because I believe in being myself,not someone that I am not.Other that that,I enjoy this board and I think that it is awsome to be able to express yourself here if needed.That is why I stayed out of most of the Dollar Dave thread because I did not want to post something that might incriminate me or someone else,he is one of my friends and some of the things he did,I did not agree with,but I kept it to thyself.So Lets try to all be a little more respectfull here so that there will not be another drama repeat.This is my own opinion,carry on everyone. :cheerful

not to sound like an ass, i'm asking this out of curiosity, not out of sarcasm - but do you mean all illegal drugs, or all drugs? what about things like antidepressants? personally, i wonder where we draw the line on which drugs are/are not bad. (remember, cocaine used to be legal - they sold it in coca-cola!) i kind of think of it along the same lines as "guns don't kill people, people do" (figuratively speaking) i see nothing wrong with any drug, or the taking of that drug, if you're strong enough to remain in cotrol of it, as opposed to letting it control you, you know? that's a hard thing for many people to do...

i know many people, myself included, whose interest in (certain) drugs stems from other areas, two of which are spiritual exploration, and just simple curiosity - both of which apply to me. i'm sure many people turn to them for negative reasons, but there are many others who don't fall into that category.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ditto ditto ditto a lot of what was said up there ^

most drug users and experimenters *I* know never had a "rough" life. they just wanted to "try something out"

and the people who were weaker or having addictive personalities are the ones that got messed up along the way

ditto ditto ditto a lot of what was said up there ^

most drug users and experimenters *I* know never had a "rough" life. they just wanted to "try something out"

and the people who were weaker or having addictive personalities are the ones that got messed up along the way

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

doesn't change the fact that acid, lsd, ecstacy, X are bad for you and even sometimes fatal or the fact that cocaine use is highly unethical.

doesn't change the fact that acid, lsd, ecstacy, X are bad for you and even sometimes fatal or the fact that cocaine use is highly unethical.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i feel that man made drugs like acid and e are over all bad. yes they can be bad for you and yes they can mess you up forever. and yes some drugs can kill you, even the first time you use it.

there are other drugs i still will never feel are "bad". over use/misuse; yes, bad. but i don't think of the drug itself as bad. even something like cigarettes. i mean yeah a pack a day is NOT good for anyone. but a cigarette here and there is not so bad to me. smoking a joint i don't think is bad. but smoking an eighth a day is bad. drinking some beers is ok, drinking a case a few times a week is not.

my saying i don't think something is "bad" doesn't mean i think they are good for you or that you should do them.

how is coke use unethical? i don't know what you mean by this? i have never used the stuff myself because i think coke is one stupid drug to start taking but what do you mean by unethical?

i feel that  man made drugs like acid and e are over all bad. yes they can be bad for you and yes they can mess you up forever. and yes some drugs can kill you, even the first time you use it.

there are other drugs i still will never feel are "bad". over use/misuse; yes, bad. but i don't think of the drug itself as bad. even something like cigarettes. i mean yeah a pack a day is NOT good for anyone. but a cigarette here and there is not so bad to me. smoking a joint i don't think is bad. but smoking an eighth a day is bad. drinking some beers is ok, drinking a case a few times a week is not.

my saying i don't think something is "bad" doesn't mean i think they are good for you or that you should do them.

how is coke use unethical? i don't know what you mean by this? i have never used the stuff myself because i think coke is one stupid drug to start taking but what do you mean by unethical?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I say drugs are bad for you, I am talking about LSD, E, Cocaine, Crack and Heroine mostly. I don't care about pot.

How is coke unethical? I sort of talked about it above. But most cocaine comes from South America and the cartels that grow and sell the cocaine need fresh land to grow it so they often will make families move out of their homes at gunpoint and bulldoze their houses. Thousands of people have died in violence between cartels and police in Colombia, Argentina, Brazil and Ecuador.

I wouldn't be as opposed to coke if I didn't meet several people in Miami with horror stories about being seperated from their parents, having family members executed and having their lives ripped apart because of cocaine cartels.

Though, despite all of that, I would never touch cocaine because it is bad for your heart and that is one organ I never want to mess with.

Why is it whenever the topic of drugs comes up, someone mentions nicotine, alcohol and coffee? No one ever claimed any of those things were healthy for human consumption but it doesn't change the fact that something like Heroine is devastatingly worse.

Oh and for the record, I don't smoke, I don't drink much and I am not a big coffee drinker. My one vice is pizza and yeah, that's not good for you, and I don't try to justify my consumption of $5 pizza's from the LC because well, it's made me fat, I shouldn't be eating that crap.

this same scenario applies to pot too, and virtually all illicit drugs.

I know we just want to cop a buzz in the privacy of our own homes, and beleive its not hurting anybody.

but unless you grew it yourself - you've supported murder, ritualistic human sacrifice (happens in mexico all the time) child opression, and on and on and on.

Very dirty biz this drug trafficking thing.

And here we just want to smke a fatty and hold intelligent conversations about the evils of Walmart.

this same scenario applies to pot too, and virtually all illicit drugs.

I know we just want to cop a buzz in the privacy of our own homes, and beleive its not hurting anybody.

but unless you grew it yourself - you've supported murder, ritualistic human sacrifice (happens in mexico all the time) child opression, and on and on and on.

Very dirty biz this drug trafficking thing.

And here we just want to smke a fatty and hold intelligent conversations about the evils of Walmart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shhh!!!!

They don't want to hear stuff like this. It's much safer on DGN to say things like "Do what's right for you" and "I am not interested in what XXX or XXX has to say, I do it because is right for me". It sounds good in theory, the problem is that facts tend to get in the way of alot of things that sound good.

Something funny to think about.

In order for me to get off heroin they want to give me another drug. After I no longer have heroin in my system they will then ween me off of methadone (or whatever drug they use at the hospital) with another drug so that my body doesn't go into shock. Then they will test a series of anti depressants on me until they find the right drug for me.

In order for me to get off heroin they want to give me another drug. After I no longer have heroin in my system they will then ween me off of methadone (or whatever drug they use at the hospital) with another drug so that my body doesn't go into shock. Then they will test a series of anti depressants on me until they find the right drug for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah it's too bad they use methadone to get people off heroin. anyone i know that went from the herion to methadone just got addicted to taking that instead. i know someone who went to "the clinic" for YEARS and YEARS. i wondered... how is that any better? does methadone really work for anyone then?

I'm watching ER reruns like a junkie these days.

A recent storyline dealt with the rapid detox of a heroin-addicted baby. Basically done overnight pretty much. Once finished, no more need to keep the baby on methadone to slowly wean it off.

And they apparently do it with adults, too.

Might be something worth looking into. I know ER is "just a TV show", but perhaps this is something rooted in reality.

Yes. Methadone has nearly the same "Buzz" as Heroin but is only about 1/3 as addictive. So, You can substitute Methadone with a heroin addict. It gives them the fix they need but not what they are addicted to so the cleaning out process is easyer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Taking notes......lol j/k

Most of moderen sociaty is addicted to some drug or another... caffeen, nicotine and alchohol
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to have to go with the Bob Sagget defense on Drugs... if you become addicted to a drug and it does not mess up your life enough that you wake up one day and have to suck dick to get that drug, then its not really a serious habbit.

I am going to have to go with the Bob Sagget defense on Drugs... if you become addicted to a drug and it does not mess up your life enough that you wake up one day and have to suck dick to get that drug, then its not really a serious habbit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hes a dumb ass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I pray for the day when your anti depressant of choice is just people.

And maybe some Marlboros.

And a snickers.

I pray for the day when your anti depressant of choice is just people.

And maybe some Marlboros.

And a snickers.

while i totally get where you're coming form on this, i just wanted to say - if you have to rely on externals as your source of happiness, you're forever doomed to disappointment...

while i totally get where you're coming form on this, i just wanted to say - if you have to rely on externals as your source of happiness, you're forever doomed to disappointment...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i really don't think that is what steven meant. i think he meant that he hopes she doesn't have to rely on DRUGS but that one day the people in her life will be enough for her to live for or be happy about. not that she will rely ON people either for this but that people will be enough and she won't have to turn to drugs.

Rapid detox is extremely dangerous. You can very easily die from it if you were a long time user to begin with. Its not about mental dependancy but physical.

Your body becomes physically reliant on the drug.

---------------------------------

The day they fix the chemical imbalance in my body/brain is the day when people or myself will become my anti-depressant. Until then I look for any help possible.

Being suicidal and struggling for help and seeing that none is in the near future is disappointing. Makes for a very difficult day each day.

Archived