The Biggest Loser DGN Style

Oh_My_Goth

So, I went to the VA clinic for my yearly checkup today and the nurse practitioner said my weight was "perfect". I disagree with using that exact word but I have been feeling much better about myself lately now that I have been eating better. I have always had issues with my midsection and having my daughter turned it into Jell-O. I've been thinking more and more lately and I don't want to be one of those people that just declines with age. I want to be healthy. So my plan (and I use that term loosely) is simply to be a little more active every day, even if that means just going for a 30 minute walk. I've been eating more sensibly. Sticking with lean meats and lots of fruits and vegetables. I still eat my daily treat of a piece of Wonka chocolate because that stuff is just sinfully delicious. Lo and behold, people were right. The simple changes are making a big difference and the number on the scale is getting smaller, much to my excitement. It's still almost two years away but I want to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 30, because even now that birthday scares the bejebus out of me. Just thought I would share that. Hope everyone else is doing well.

I can see where stress may cause you to gain weight...but usually when I'm stressing out to the point of having one of my "anxiety episodes", I lose weight. But that could probably be mostly due to the fact that I refuse to eat very much when I'm in such a stste. It would make sense for me to want to eat more to console myself, though, or something of that sort...

When you're stressed, your body goes into shock, thus causing your metabolism to be in shock and your body to retain weight. Everything that you eat, gets converted immediately into stored fat. It sucks, but that's your body's way of surviving. How do you think we as a species has survived as well as we have? Our bodies are pretty much programed to do this stress thing to survive. Granted it's not a whole lot of use at this point in our existence, considering food is never farther than a .99 burger away, but in the days of hunter/gatherers (what we've been genetically conditioned to be) there were times of feast and then there were times of great famine. Our bodies survived by going into shock, storing any available every into fat so that we could survive until the next feasting time.

We've been surviving like this a heck of a lot longer than we've had trans fats, and all this abundance that we currently have now. Our bodies are not adjusting to it very well and thus we are becoming fatter and fatter due to excess.

Edited by hunhee

Well, I hadn't realized it, but apparently the work I've been putting in is starting to pay off at long last. I went shirtless @ city club this saturday and for the first time in my whole life, I was feelin good about it. I really hadn't seen the difference myself until a female friend of mine gave me two thumbs up, said you could even see the difference in my face. She took a picture of me flexing from behind so I could see my shoulders and back and ...holy shit I had no idea. I can see a six-pack starting to form, my forearms are coming in nicely (I can see decent definition in muscles just when doing normal activity and not flexing) and I think my shoulders are looking nice too. I don't mean this to be a douchey "haha I look good" post, but I'm just kind of shocked. I've always been somewhat less than attractive (IMO) and have never been able to be shirtless in public without wanting to run and hide.

I haven't been able to go to martial arts class in a while due to money and transportation issues, but I've been practicing a lot at home (only striking, movement, tai chi, and meditation as I have no practice partners) and I think I can almost throw a few decent punches and kicks. My flow in combining techniques has been getting a lot better. I've been practicing a LOT on a punching bag for power and accuracy and also been doing high intensity interval training on the punching bag. I gotta tell you, if you're short on time (like 10 minutes) and want a really good workout that keeps working the entire day and fills you (or me at least) with energy almost to the level of hyperactivity, high intensity intervals are the way to go. And since it's on a punching bag it works almost every muscle in the body. But not simply on the level of looks. My only regret at the moment is that I lack a proper weight set and bench. So in spite of all I'm doing, my raw strength hasn't improved all that much. Man I'll be in fitness heaven once I get some good weights. I've also started riding a bike (BMX not mountain..kind of uncomfortable) to work. Only a 6 mile round trip, so it's not much, but it's a great supplement.

Again, just throwin' it out there, if any practitioners of martial arts are looking for some practice (techniques etc, not just sparring), I practice Kung-Fu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. NEED PARTNERS!! Not gonna be able to get back into class for a couple months so I'm kind of going nuts here just doing shit by myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aaah, I hate that; I have been slacking on and off for like three weeks now, so I totally feel your pain Katrn. I've lost 20 pounds in the past year, and I want to lose at least 20 more. I just got so busy with work and class starting up this fall that I haven't had time to crack down again, so now I'm coasting and haven't been gaining but haven't been losing.

There's nothing better than waking up in the morning and checking your stomach in the mirror and feeling like it's gotten smaller, though; that's how I felt this morning, and it's totally motivating! I went ahead and ran for 20 minutes afterwards before I ate breakfast. I've gotten to the point where I feel kind of comfortable in skimpy outfits at the club, but I'm still not happy enough with my weight :|

Something's going right with my diet as I'm losing bodyfat without loosing any muscular strength or measured weight. Also started tearing cards and phone books as well as bending metal to help with my grip strength. Hopefully that'll help my grip issues and allow me to pull 500# for more than a rep or two before dropping it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had oatmeal tonight. 500 Skinny Pts Earned, Achievement Unlocked :starwars:

ROFL.

Last night, I went to KM class and kickboxing. I need to start lifting weights again. I've been slacking off lately. I need to make it to one of the cross-training classes at TFF because we use kettle bells for most of the class.

ROFL.

Last night, I went to KM class and kickboxing. I need to start lifting weights again. I've been slacking off lately. I need to make it to one of the cross-training classes at TFF because we use kettle bells for most of the class.

Through my determination to not be fat, I am now crazy good at DDR. Wondering if they still have cash tournaments... :evil:

Through my determination to not be fat, I am now crazy good at DDR. Wondering if they still have cash tournaments... :evil:

I'm still angry that my DDR never worked.. I should put the dance pads up on ebay for auction..hehe

Went to KM class last night as well as ground-fighting. Two and a half hours of torture, I loved it though. I finally got over my fear of ground-fighting guys. My instructor kinda of forced that. The guy I had to work with was cool, he was the one I was most afraid of.

Edited by KatRN05

Alright, where is everyone and what have you all been doing?

I've worked out the past two days. Monday I went to KM class 1/2 which was about two hours total. Today, I went to kickboxing and KM1/2 which was about two hours as well. I'm taking a break tomorrow then back at it Thursday and Friday. Apparently I've gotten smaller in the belly or so one of the girls in my KM class noticed.