The Biggest Loser DGN Style

Oh_My_Goth

I just got home from KM class. I hope that since all of us are working out, we are eating a good pre-workout snack, something with a good amount of carbs. I've been trying to eat something with a bit of carbs before and after working out. I guess I didn't eat enough before KM class because I'm feeling a tad hypoglycemic now. It blows.

Anyhow, I'm going to the gym in the a.m. I will do better with the eating before working out. I need to work on my running and I'll probably lift some weights.

I'm proud of everyone here and you all rock!!!

To any they may need extra support it doesn't take very much time to notice positive changes from living a healthier lifestyle. I have recently (as of a week ago) made drastic changes to my own and am feel a lot better already.

So far a lot of it has been very easy. More sleep and better eating. I make sure to try and get 7-8 hours of sleep and to start teh day off with a good breakfast. And throughout the day snacking on fruist and vegtables while drinking water as opposed to drinking high sugar drinks and snacking on junk food. Mind you I am a person that loves all of this bad stuff but the transition has been surprisingly easy. I think I just finalyl had it with beign sickly and not lookign as good as I want to and that is enough to drastically change my ways.

So to those on the fence, just figure out what do you really want of yourself? The hardest part of this is the mental choice. Once you have made it you will feel better and the choice will have been an easy one.

Week 8 of my new lifestyle is now complete!! w00h00!!! No drastic weight changes to report this week, but my body is funny like that, it will hold onto weight, and then all of a sudden I will be 3 lbs. lighter, and then I will hold onto it again for another couple weeks, and then I will find I am another 3 lbs. missing. Does anyone else see their weight loss as inconsistent like that, or am I just weird?

Are you talking about having plateaus? Like losing a few pounds one week and then not losing for a week or so? That's normal. I've been going through that shit lately. Just means I need to change things up a bit with my diet and workouts. I didn't lose for a month one time, but I think it's because I was working out a lot and not eating enough.

My plan is to lose 15-25 pounds by...July-August. That sounds pretty decent.

I want to be able to have my preferred body type as well as be able to not worry about little things like how much pudge will show on my tummy if/when I get a PVC catsuit.

:X

Are you talking about having plateaus? Like losing a few pounds one week and then not losing for a week or so? That's normal. I've been going through that shit lately. Just means I need to change things up a bit with my diet and workouts. I didn't lose for a month one time, but I think it's because I was working out a lot and not eating enough.

To me, a plateau lasts more than three weeks of no movement. BUT this weekend I was bad on the eating, so I don't expect anything to move down. I know what I did, and it's my fault, and I have no excuses. I still keep working out tho, and I did even more yesterday and today.. I guess (not that you really can) it's my way of making up the extra calories.. We'll see. :)

Starting week nine!! :) I'm STOKED!!!

Edited by hunhee

My plan is to lose 15-25 pounds by...July-August. That sounds pretty decent.

I want to be able to have my preferred body type as well as be able to not worry about little things like how much pudge will show on my tummy if/when I get a PVC catsuit.

:X

For you, since you're already pretty fit, I would suggest weight training instead of losing more weight.

When I was 130 I tried to get down to 125 because I still thought my body looked flabby (and it did). What I DIDN'T put together was the reason my body looked flabby was because I didn't have any muscle to push my skin out in all the right places. I looked very sunken in and sullen. So instead of trying to feverishly work off 10-15 lbs that I shouldn't have been trying to lose (as I was already getting all skeletor-like) I should have been trying to put on muscle to fill out my skin.

Ya get?

For you, since you're already pretty fit, I would suggest weight training instead of losing more weight.

When I was 130 I tried to get down to 125 because I still thought my body looked flabby (and it did). What I DIDN'T put together was the reason my body looked flabby was because I didn't have any muscle to push my skin out in all the right places. I looked very sunken in and sullen. So instead of trying to feverishly work off 10-15 lbs that I shouldn't have been trying to lose (as I was already getting all skeletor-like) I should have been trying to put on muscle to fill out my skin.

Ya get?

To me, a plateau lasts more than three weeks of no movement. BUT this weekend I was bad on the eating, so I don't expect anything to move down. I know what I did, and it's my fault, and I have no excuses. I still keep working out tho, and I did even more yesterday and today.. I guess (not that you really can) it's my way of making up the extra calories.. We'll see. :)

Starting week nine!! :) I'm STOKED!!!

I didn't work out all weekend only because I considered all the dancing I did at City to be my workout...only to ruin it by eating chili-cheese fries at Lucie/Ethel's(Never again!)...

I didn't work out all weekend only because I considered all the dancing I did at City to be my workout...only to ruin it by eating chili-cheese fries at Lucie/Ethel's(Never again!)...

eh, don't say "never again" - it's good for you to occasionally "cheat" on a diet. most of the weight gain people see from a splurge is only the weight of the food they ate. one day of higher calories isn't going to mess it all up. in fact, it's a good idea to follow the 90% rule - 90% of your calories should be from fairly clean sources i.e. good, healthy foods. if you eat 2000 cal/day, and if they're all really healthy foods, 200 cal of that could come from a kitkat or something! (one of my personal faves! =P )

eh, don't say "never again" - it's good for you to occasionally "cheat" on a diet. most of the weight gain people see from a splurge is only the weight of the food they ate. one day of higher calories isn't going to mess it all up. in fact, it's a good idea to follow the 90% rule - 90% of your calories should be from fairly clean sources i.e. good, healthy foods. if you eat 2000 cal/day, and if they're all really healthy foods, 200 cal of that could come from a kitkat or something! (one of my personal faves! =P )

YES! Girls are especially nuts about this. They even (I think it was in MSNBC) did a study showing that a major reason men tend to keep weight off and have better weight maintenance is because when they "screw up" or indulge they tend to have a very "meh...I'm fucking human. So what? No biggie" kind of attitude. Women are raised to be self-haters and will turn these fuck-ups in on themselves. This is BAD because women who tend to be self-haters (as I've observed and as the article put it) also tend to relieve this emotionally by having a "FUCK IT! I'm apparently not good enough!" type attitude and give up. I'm sure this doesn't just pertain to women, I'm sure if a man had a "FUCK IT! I'm apparently not good enough!" attitude they would fall off the wagon also. It's just most of them are forgiving of themselves and therefore, do not.

You NEED to eat pizza, Snickers, fried chicken, chili cheese fries, creme cheese, and fondue. If you do not, you will become fat in the long run :tongue:

YOU ARE HUMAN. TREAT YOURSELF. CUTTING YOURSELF OFF AND PUNISHING YOURSELF FOR BEING A HOMOSAPIEN IS UNREALISTIC!!! YOU ARE NOT MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now go out and get some fucking ice cream this weekend! :ice: You'll be better off in the long run.

YES! Girls are especially nuts about this. They even (I think it was in MSNBC) did a study showing that a major reason men tend to keep weight off and have better weight maintenance is because when they "screw up" or indulge they tend to have a very "meh...I'm fucking human. So what? No biggie" kind of attitude. Women are raised to be self-haters and will turn these fuck-ups in on themselves. This is BAD because women who tend to be self-haters (as I've observed and as the article put it) also tend to relieve this emotionally by having a "FUCK IT! I'm apparently not good enough!" type attitude and give up. I'm sure this doesn't just pertain to women, I'm sure if a man had a "FUCK IT! I'm apparently not good enough!" attitude they would fall off the wagon also. It's just most of them are forgiving of themselves and therefore, do not.

You NEED to eat pizza, Snickers, fried chicken, chili cheese fries, creme cheese, and fondue. If you do not, you will become fat in the long run :tongue:

YOU ARE HUMAN. TREAT YOURSELF. CUTTING YOURSELF OFF AND PUNISHING YOURSELF FOR BEING A HOMOSAPIEN IS UNREALISTIC!!! YOU ARE NOT MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now go out and get some fucking ice cream this weekend! :ice: You'll be better off in the long run.

Only meant "never again" because I will never again eat those chili-cheese fries. I do cheat occasionally, I think it's good to do it every now and then. Keeps one from feeling deprived.

Bought another protein powder, it's called Click, it's got espresso in it. It's not that great in the way of protein, I mix a scoop of it with a scoop of chocolate protein powder and blend it all together with some ice and milk. It's very good.

Edited by KatRN05

Only meant "never again" because I will never again eat those chili-cheese fries. I do cheat occasionally, I think it's good to do it every now and then. Keeps one from feeling deprived.

Bought another protein powder, it's called Click, it's got espresso in it. It's not that great in the way of protein, I mix a scoop of it with a scoop of chocolate protein powder and blend it all together with some ice and milk. It's very good.

Ah, gotcha. Good to know you let yourself slide a bit, it's healthy as odd as it sounds.

Ah, gotcha. Good to know you let yourself slide a bit, it's healthy as odd as it sounds.

Ya get?

This is a really good point (that I myself need to remember!)! I've been in the same 10 lb. range for a looong time, but there's more variance in how I look, depending on what type of working out I am doing.

Hmmmm... I am getting over some injuries so I'll need to be careful, but I am going to make some changes TODAY! :happy:

Ya get?

Yeah..I know I should, but I don't even know where to start. I have a membership to the YMCA, but I'm really awkward about going to work out in front of people. I dunno...I just really don't know where to begin, haha!

So far I've just been maintaining the 14 lbs. I've lost since February, but that's mostly because I tried on my dress and it looked a little loose when I was down 14 lbs, so I was afraid if I lost any more I'd have to pay to get it altered, which I really can't afford right now. After Saturday, though, I'll have worn the dress, and I can go back to losing.

I totally understand this, but I still worked out anyway. I have been bad this week, I didn't work out at all on Tuesday (the day I had a fever) and I didn't work out too much yesterday, I only walked a mile, but since I could hardly breathe, I wheezed through the whole way. Of course, today I went to the doctors, and as amazing of a cough I have now, apparently I will live, as long as I make my doctor and the pharmaceutical companies even richer. *sighs*

I don't think I'm doing enough cardio, so I'm gonna try to get an hour in before work today.

I try to do cardio every day, and then on two days a week, I weight train. I read somewhere that you can always do cardio, but not weight train every day, is this true? or is this another bullshit thing written by people who are not dedicated enough and too whimpy to carry through every day? <---that last question was for Chernobyl and Torn..hehe

Edited by hunhee

I try to do cardio every day, and then on two days a week, I weight train. I read somewhere that you can always do cardio, but not weight train every day, is this true? or is this another bullshit thing written by people who are not dedicated enough and too whimpy to carry through every day? <---that last question was for Chernobyl and Torn..hehe

It is not advisable to weight train the same muscle group over and over, day after day. Give your muscle group at least a two-three day break, depending on how you feel.

You CAN weight train everyday...but you must alternate muscle groups. I weight train every day (or try, per my awful schedule) but on day one I do arms, day two is abs/back, day three I knock out legs and ass. Then I repeat because from the time I did arms to the time I finished the whole routine, there was a two day rest for my arms.

I agree with Cher in regards to weight training. We had a big convo about this recently. I really only have time to get to the gym 3 times per week so when I lift I do a full body workout. I think the problem I was having recently was that I was lifting too much weight and not doing enough reps so I've changed that. And I also made a list of exercises to do and what areas they work so I can do that with free weights as opposed to using the machines exclusively.

I went to KM class and fight conditioning yesterday. I'm done with lifting for now, we used kettlebells in class yesterday and I think I need to give my muscles a break for a couple of days.

Edited by KatRN05

I'm new to this thread, but I thought I might share what I'm currently doing/attempting along with some disciplinary advice.

I had a workout routines thread going...but realized it was redundant and the topic was already covered here.

So the workout I've adopted lately and decided to go far with, is actually martial arts training. One common misconception about martial arts training is that it's all about the techniques and fighting. This is really only about (at my early levels of experience) half of it. Warming up alone is in and of itself an intense workout. Not to mention the practice of various striking or even weapon techniques in addition to the rather intense warmup is a major workout.

I don't necessarily do ALL of the workout every day or all at once, mostly due to my inability to wake up early in the day and my evening work schedule (I usually get up about 2:00 giving me time to do whatever before I work @ 5:00). Sometimes I'll squeeze in another full workout at night when I'm watching a movie or something as well (the twice a day workout still pretty much kills me, but man it feels good.) Obviously the during tv workout does not include running.

So here's what I do:

Before running I'll do some light stretching and between 75-150 jumping jacks depending how spry I'm feeling. I don't feel guilty about cutting a corner here or there because as a whole the workout will still be enough. After that tiny warmup, Sprint training for one mile (one mile is the goal. Right now on my first day I did a half mile. Don't bite off more than you can chew. I've always been in very poor cardio shape. However I quit cigarettes (but not weed, never weed. judge away on that drug snobs), andam feeling better than I ever have since I started exsersizing more. The sprint training starts out at a light jog, then you burst into 30 seconds of as-fast-as-you-fucking-can sprinting for 30 seconds, then bring it back to a light jog (or if you're just starting out like me a walk), then build it back up and repeat until you've covered your chosen running distance.

Some stretching (always stretch!!! don't overdo it, but stretch often. Like twice a day do the full body range of stretches.)

This includes neck, shoulders, arm swings, hip rotations, arm rotations, touching your toes (omg~ I actually can touch my toes now), "reach for the sky", side-to-side,the splits, toe touching while sitting, hurdlers, butterfly.... there might be a couple I'm forgetting. You get the idea. Full stretching.

Then once I'm all limber, it's time to start the warmup...no, the running was not the warmup...yeah, it sucks.

Squat thrusts with one pushup when you're legs are extended. These are BRUTAL. Remember to keep your core balanced and flexed or squat thrusts can murder your back. They are awesome cardio. After 20 I feel kinda like dying. Also they work many many areas of the body that might otherwise be overlooked and rejected.

After squat thrusts I'm trying to do this bear crawl that I got from youtube. But mountain climbers are good for beginners. They're not by any means easy or fun. Or if you're feeling badass, you can do both. The bear crawl focuses on control, speed, and agility. Check it out.

....after that stuff.....ab workout.

20 crunches(give or take a couple) Go up all the way and hold for 2 seconds at the top on each one. Not all the way up like sit-up. Quality > quantity.

20 leg lifts. Laying on your back, have your legs extended all the way and SLOWLY lift them up vertically, then SLOWLY lower them.

20 or so Reverse crunches. Bubbly lady, but she shows a good technique. reverse crunches

The 20 or so bicycle crunches. These are pretty rough. Basically crunches bring your right elbow to your left knee, the the opposite side, repeat. I hate these. They're hard.

Now it's time for pushups.

10-20 Diamond pushups. Just form your index fingers and thumbs into a diamond shape and put it under your chest. Then do that as pushups. It's pretty hard, but very worth it.

3-5 Superman pushups each with a 30 second hold at the top. This is awesome for your core (abs and back.) Be very careful if you have lower back problems. The initial raise-up can be a shock to that area of your back if you're not prepared.

Then as many regular pushups as I can do.

That's the end of the warmup. Yeah. That was just the warmup.

After a short water/meditation break. I practice a few different basic kick that I learned when taking martial arts classes. Roundhouse, sidekicks, snaps etc. If you decide to practice this stuff, remember that accuracy and form come BEFORE power and speed. Kicking down a door is not impressive if you also dislocate your leg and pull 12 muscles because you missed and hit the doorframe way too hard.

I like to move around between kicks, punches, blocks and small combinations of the three. Like tae-bo with less repetition and more flow. When you know some steps and how to punch kick or block, you can string them together and not only get an awesome workout for both cardio and muscle, but it's lots of fun and even looks cool. The technique practice part of the workout lasts at least 20 minutes, but up to as long as you can go.

I also do some training with a bokken (wooden samurai sword). It's a FAR better workout for the upper body than you might think. It's also great for cardio once you can swing without hurting yourself. If you practice properly with the correct stances and footwork it also promotes good posture and mental focus.

I'm doing this workout 5 times a week. Not necessarily all at once or all 5 days in a row. Sometimes I'll skip a day and make it up later. Sometimes I'll do only the running and/or warmup during the day and then warmup and practice techniques late at night. Just always warmup before practicing techniques. At minumum the workout lasts 30-40 minutes if I'm hurrying through or cutting more corners than I should. But even then it's pretty intense. I've really only been doing this for a couple weeks and I'm already seeing noticeable results (I am, of course, biased on my progress, but still. I do already feel better.) Oce I'm mobile again, I'll be taking martial arts classes 2-4 times a week. I also want to incorporate some swimming (best excercise in the world) at least once a week and eventually once I've trimmed all my fat and am more agile, a fully body weight routine once a week. Of course that's all supplemental as the martial arts training will overshadow anything else aside from running I do.

My ultimate goal (aside from being sexy, dangerous, getting laid once a year or so) is to get in proper shape to go here :

Like...omg WOW

Hopefully this helps some people. All I can really say is that if you want something badly enough, you'll get it. Whatever it takes.

I agree with Cher in regards to weight training. We had a big convo about this recently. I really only have time to get to the gym 3 times per week so when I lift I do a full body workout. I think the problem I was having recently was that I was lifting too much weight and not doing enough reps so I've changed that. And I also made a list of exercises to do and what areas they work so I can do that with free weights as opposed to using the machines exclusively.

I went to KM class and fight conditioning yesterday. I'm done with lifting for now, we used kettlebells in class yesterday and I think I need to give my muscles a break for a couple of days.

heavy weight/lower reps is actually ok when cutting (under-maint. on calories). that setup is designed to help you retain muscle mass. when eating at a caloric deficit, your body wants to get rid of the most metabolically active tissue it can, which is muscle. by lifting heavier weights, you're telling your body, "hey! i need that muscle!" so it retains it. heavy weight/low reps is also good for adding strength, while not necessarily adding size.

I need to get my fat ass in gear and exercise. However, I need a job so I can afford a gym membership again.

People will say mind over matter, and walk around and do free exercises. That's fine and good and all, but I get too wrapped up in distractions if I go out walking and whatnot, the atmosphere of a gym helps me to focus, and I really don't have the room for weights or anything at my house.

I also want to lose weight, as I have been gaining an alarming amount this last two years. I went from being 225-230 and now am around 275-290. Its awful. I feel terrible and my clothes are starting to get too tight.

Here's to finding a new job so I can start working out again.

Back on the wagon after a few months out. I had a vertibra pop way out of place after I got snapped down by my gi at the arnold classic grappling tournament down in Ohio. Now that it's back in place, I've resumed my training schedule.

Yesterday was a fantastic work-out day for me. I went to the gym in the morning, and I did some walking/running and felt good about it, and at night went for a 7 mile walk with my walking partner and it was AWESOME!!!!

Tonight, we are tackling 9 miles. :) w00h00!!!! I will be in shape for the smokies!