Effects of Death on the Living

Rev.Reverence

Hmmm this interests me from an introspective perspective. I've only ever had one close friend die through suicide and that was hard to deal with - but for a whole different set of reasons - such as the why's of it - why didn't I know he wasn't well, why didn't I call him the day before he died, why did he do it etc etc.

But I've never lost anyone through natural causes, and I do wonder how I would feel. I'm not saying I would be happy - because no matter what your beliefs are about death and dying it is hard to seperate the emotional sadness at loosing that person from your life. I'm quite an emotionally detached person, although I do show great care towards people. So in a way I feel that yes of course I would grief briefly, but I don't think it would have a huge emotional and psychological effect on me unless it was a particualrly traumatic event such as the one I mentioned above.

My belief is that I will be with that person again - and in essence they haven't actually 'left' so I hope that when the time comes that I have to say goodbye to a loved one I will have the spiritual resilience to accept their death without too much trauma.

Mixed. Its hard when its someone you were SUPPOSE to love because they are a family member...but if they were mean, abusive or just plain cold...then you have...anger...rage...heartbrokeness...longing...sadness...maybe even pity.

Its like...maybe you cry but not cause you miss them...more because they were never there for you and now, its too late...

Recently a 17 year old I knew died this past week, I think from a virus. That whole thing jolted me when I found out about it.

I think it does depend on the person. It's difficult comprehending death, so if you knew or talked to someone who passes it usually affects you.

When it's of natural causes and the person is old I'm alright. My grand-dad passed in 2000 and I was alright because he was in his 80s. But when it's someone relatively young, and the death was self inflicted I'm very angry and I stay that way.

I lost my best friend to suicide in 2003, just a few weeks after he turned 21. I was the one who had found him and he had shot himself. Flash forward 5 years and my brother in law did the same thing, leaving behind two little kids. I really don't think angry is the appropriate word though, I think furious is. And I'm going to be this way for a very long time.

Archived