Cervical cancer vaccine!

SomeDanGuy

Merck announced that it seems to have a vaccine that is nearly 100% effective in preventing cervical cancer. It wasn't even that long ago that it was discovered that most, if not all, cervical cancer was caused by some types of Human Papilloma virus. (Other types of which also cause genital warts.) The new vaccine works against the most common types of HPV associated with cervical cancer (16 and 18 cause most of it). Cervical cancer is the second-most common cancer in women and their No. 2 cause of cancer deaths, resulting in about 3,000 deaths in the United States and nearly 300,000 around the world each year.

Hopefully all further trials continue to show promise without side effects. This could be huge!

Merck announced that it seems to have a vaccine that is nearly 100% effective in preventing cervical cancer.  It wasn't even that long ago that it was discovered that most, if not all, cervical cancer was caused by some types of Human Papilloma virus. (Other types of which also cause genital warts.)  The new vaccine works against the most common types of HPV associated with cervical cancer (16 and 18 cause most of it).  Cervical cancer is the second-most common cancer in women and their No. 2 cause of cancer deaths, resulting in about 3,000 deaths in the United States and nearly 300,000 around the world each year.

Hopefully all further trials continue to show promise without side effects.  This could be huge!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is awesome! My mom had cervical cancer when she was younger, she was lucky.

If only they could do the same thing for MS :tear

MAN AM I LUCKY I have no cervix or hpv viruses I don't even get the yearly thing.......guess I should. I do have an ovary and it can get cancer too, right?

I do get paps and hiv tests and all the other std tests even though I use condoms and no one cums in any orafice of mine :tongue:

So like this vacine must not work on people who's bodies just turn against themselves? You know, no bacterial infections or anything to 'set it off' so to speak?

Archived