Do you remember....?

Fierce Critter

I don't remember Wild Bunch.

And I never saw Elvis Hitler, but remember advertisements for him/them often.

Here are some more local bands that might make you wistful for days gone by:

The HellBenders - probably more famous as the 3D Invisibles. They played different music under different names - the Hellbenders were my favorite, playing western movie themes and the like. The 3D Invisibles played, I believe, monster-themed surf music. I only saw them once as that band, as I preferred the HellBenders.

Goober and the Peas - the first local band I ever saw. And my first public drunken blackout (long story). They eventually recorded an album produced by John Wesley Harding, but I guess it didn't go anywhere. I MUST find a copy someday. Anyway, they did kinda goofy "CowPunk" music, and damn that was a fun time.

The Hentchmen - I only saw them once, at the Old Miami. I just remember some very weird, but cool music. I wish I could remember more about them, besides the fact that I loved them and wanted to see them again, but never got to.

Gangster Fun - One of the best ska groups I've ever seen. I know they went through some personnel changes throughout the mid to late 90's, and for all I know are still playing. But if you can find a copy of their CD "Time Flies When You're Gangster Fun" DO NOT PASS IT UP.

The Exceptions - another good ska group.

Slugbug - I only saw them once, and I think they sucked. But one of their members saved my life one night, and I bought a t-shirt with their very, very cool logo on it, which I will wear to CC someday after we're back.

Trash Brats - fun band. I don't remember their sound much, I was probably very, very drunk at any show of theirs I saw. Cross-dressing hard rockers is the most I can remember.

I totally can't remember the name of the band, but Neal, the guy who owns(owned?) the Gold Dollar was in it, and I saw them a few times. They played Alvins I think it was dressed in only duct tape loincloths. I imagine disrobing was torture.

The Dancing Food Spirits - they often played at the Bronx Bar near Wayne State, where I did a lot of open mic nights. They were weird, and it didn't dawn on me until after a long while that the name "Dancing Food Spirits" are the words you see across the awnings of many neighborhood lounges.

Sean Fitzgerald - Sean ran the open mic nights at The Bronx, and last I saw him was in the mid 90's where he was running a music night at a coffee house in Ferndale called Lavender Moon or something like that. Sean wrote and performed songs, and one in particular - "No Bad Blood Between Us" was really, really good. (Sean, if you're out there, learn the guitar part to "I Won't Stand In Your Way" and let's play together sometime after I return to Michigan, 'k? :wink)

Swap Meat, Shade, Sneaky Ferrets - O.k. - those are all bands I was in at one time. And we mostly played open mic nights. So no, you've never heard of any of them and they all sucked.

Also, have you been to/do you remember (remember, I've been gone 3 years, so if any of this is still around or going on, clue me in):

Dally in the Alley

Earthfest (I played solo acoustic the first year, it was great)

The Shelter at St. Andrews Hall PRE-remodeling in the early 90's, when they still had a cool, dingy atmosphere with a black room with a monitor that played Un chien andalou over and over again.

The Latin Quarter - there was this event where something like 20 bands or more were supposed to play. All I remember was maybe the first 2 bands or so, including some ska band (maybe Bim Skala Bim?), and the rest of the night was pretty much blackout.

When the Witch's Ball was held at St. Andrews Hall, and it was very cool (I went dressed as Robert Smith one year)

The Red Door - I never knew while I was going there that it was an "anarchist collective". I just enjoyed the bands I saw there, including Mustard Plug and Math.

The Stray Dog - a bar down the street from CC on Bagley. Skip, the owner, would shut the doors at 2:00 with everyone still inside, and keep serving drinks after hours.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trash Brats - fun band. I don't remember their sound much, I was probably very, very drunk at any show of theirs I saw. Cross-dressing hard rockers is the most I can remember.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do believe that Trash Brats are still around. I think they're at this point where they're never going to die.

What *I* want to know is what happened to Orange Roughies.

oh hell yeah...

The Wild Bunch

most known for their smash hit "Gay Bar" as in...I want to take you to a gay bar, gay bar, gay bar

am i the only one on earth who knows/remembers this band??? Everyone looks at me crazy when I start singing "Gay Bar" in public

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um... the wild bunch?

I remember Electric Six singing Gay Bar, are they the same band, or did one cover the other?

Guest Game of Chance

um... the wild bunch? 

I remember Electric Six singing Gay Bar, are they the same band, or did one cover the other?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny, I just had this conversation not that long ago. Well, The Wild Bunch version came out in, say '97 or so...so you tell me.

Guest Game of Chance

I don't remember Wild Bunch.

And I never saw Elvis Hitler, but remember advertisements for him/them often.

Here are some more local bands that might make you wistful for days gone by:

The HellBenders - probably more famous as the 3D Invisibles. They played different music under different names - the Hellbenders were my favorite, playing western movie themes and the like. The 3D Invisibles played, I believe, monster-themed surf music. I only saw them once as that band, as I preferred the HellBenders.

Goober and the Peas - the first local band I ever saw. And my first public drunken blackout (long story). They eventually recorded an album produced by John Wesley Harding, but I guess it didn't go anywhere. I MUST find a copy someday. Anyway, they did kinda goofy "CowPunk" music, and damn that was a fun time.

The Hentchmen - I only saw them once, at the Old Miami. I just remember some very weird, but cool music. I wish I could remember more about them, besides the fact that I loved them and wanted to see them again, but never got to.

Gangster Fun - One of the best ska groups I've ever seen. I know they went through some personnel changes throughout the mid to late 90's, and for all I know are still playing. But if you can find a copy of their CD "Time Flies When You're Gangster Fun" DO NOT PASS IT UP.

The Exceptions - another good ska group.

Slugbug - I only saw them once, and I think they sucked. But one of their members saved my life one night, and I bought a t-shirt with their very, very cool logo on it, which I will wear to CC someday after we're back.

I totally can't remember the name of the band, but Neal, the guy who owns(owned?) the Gold Dollar was in it, and I saw them a few times. They played Alvins I think it was dressed in only duct tape loincloths. I imagine disrobing was torture.

The Dancing Food Spirits - they often played at the Bronx Bar near Wayne State, where I did a lot of open mic nights. They were weird, and it didn't dawn on me until after a long while that the name "Dancing Food Spirits" are the words you see across the awnings of many neighborhood lounges.

Sean Fitzgerald - Sean ran the open mic nights at The Bronx, and last I saw him was in the mid 90's where he was running a music night at a coffee house in Ferndale called Lavender Moon or something like that. Sean wrote and performed songs, and one in particular - "No Bad Blood Between Us" was really, really good. (Sean, if you're out there, learn the guitar part to "I Won't Stand In Your Way" and let's play together sometime after I return to Michigan, 'k? :wink)

Swap Meat, Shade, Sneaky Ferrets - O.k. - those are all bands I was in at one time. And we mostly played open mic nights. So no, you've never heard of any of them and they all sucked.

Also, have you been to/do you remember (remember, I've been gone 3 years, so if any of this is still around or going on, clue me in):

Dally in the Alley

Earthfest (I played solo acoustic the first year, it was great)

The Shelter at St. Andrews Hall PRE-remodeling in the early 90's, when they still had a cool, dingy atmosphere with a black room with a monitor that played Un chien andalou over and over again.

The Latin Quarter - there was this event where something like 20 bands or more were supposed to play. All I remember was maybe the first 2 bands or so, including some ska band (maybe Bim Skala Bim?), and the rest of the night was pretty much blackout.

When the Witch's Ball was held at St. Andrews Hall, and it was very cool (I went dressed as Robert Smith one year)

The Red Door - I never knew while I was going there that it was an "anarchist collective". I just enjoyed the bands I saw there, including Mustard Plug and Math.

The Stray Dog - a bar down the street from CC on Bagley. Skip, the owner, would shut the doors at 2:00 with everyone still inside, and keep serving drinks after hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sean Fitzgerald is still around...I saw him not that long ago at our (sometimes) tuesday night hangout...Club FT, plus he does stuff at Xhedo's...think he hosts an open mic there

The Red Door - Man that was my favorite place to party when I was 16. My friend lives right down the street now.

Goober and the Peas - I think I saw them down at Zoot's coffeehouse a loooong time ago. Jack White of the White Stripes was their drummer.

Yes, Dally in the Alley is still around.

remeber the store MERRY GO ROUND?

or was that just a local thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, i remember getting trampled by a bunch of kids when I was in kindergarten on the merry go round... i didn't break anything, but they ruined the new jumper my grandma had just made for me, and I had to wear a stupid sling for a week.

then later, I remember doing naughty things on a merry go round... but that wasn't until i was well over the trauma of trampling.

i just saw in target yesterday that they are remaking garbage pail kids cards. i had them in my cart - for me, not my kids- but last minute put them back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you remember how sad the movie was, when they showed the scene of the garbage pail kids in the jail cells.... i cried.

Guest Game of Chance

i never knew there was a movie. how was this movie done/made?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol would you see it?? I thought you hated movies =P

ghostbusters( slimer) playdough( it glowed in the dark)

punkie brewster plush doll

jem and the hollograms ( though i have seasons 1 and 2 on dvd ) and her board game, anf the dolls

and yes

new kids on the block board game ( I am ashamed)

Peter Pan peanut butter

those lollypop rings

wheres waldo books ( I miss those the most)

and umm babysitter club books haha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they still have all that- actually, not sure about the peter pan peanut butter but they very well might. :wink

Sean Fitzgerald is still around...I saw him not that long ago at our (sometimes) tuesday night hangout...Club FT, plus he does stuff at Xhedo's...think he hosts an open mic there

The Red Door - Man that was my favorite place to party when I was 16.  My friend lives right down the street now.

Goober and the Peas - I think I saw them down at Zoot's coffeehouse a loooong time ago.  Jack White of the White Stripes was their drummer.

Yes, Dally in the Alley is still around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn - someone who knows Sean. I was counting on that being a longshot.

If you see him, ask him if he remembers Camille from the Bronx. And I was serious about "I Won't Stand In Your Way", though it actually was a friend named Ed who used to play the guitar part for me. I wonder if Sean still hangs with Ed... (If Sean is online, give him my e-mail address: fiercecritter@aolDOTcom)

Much like Spinal Tap, I believe G&TP went through many drummers. ;)

I'm almost positive they still make Carnation breakfast bars.

i found a recipe for them , but they are no longer being made ...

i found a candy store that sells zots and fizzy candy....i thought they were the same but there not...

ohhh p.s. do you want to know? its a nostalgic candy store...

greg

Archived