If you could die once, what would you use it for?

its too bad we simply dont live like this one - this life - counts for all.

there is an element of risk we can assume on a day to day basis. You dont even have to be a firefighter or a cop to get there - you just have to be searching.

Soldiers understand this.

Live tissue / organ donors understand this.

Mentors - deeply understand this.

who do you know - that needs help?

Or - who do you "dont know" very well, who needs help?

its a shame we have to be sure of a payoff first before we jump in feet first. That aint much livin..... if you ask me (I know you didint).

Steven

there is an element of risk we can assume on a day to day basis.  You dont even have to be a firefighter or a cop to get there - you just have to be searching.

Soldiers understand this.

Live tissue / organ donors understand this.

Mentors - deeply understand this.

who do you know - that needs help?

Or - who do you "dont know" very well, who needs help?

its a shame we have to be sure of a payoff first before we jump in feet first.  That aint much livin..... if you ask me (I know you didint).

Steven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is indeed a shame, but it is also the hard truth. People have that need to ensure a payoff, because we all of us have only so much emotional currency to invest. If that investment is returned with socrn and derision, or worse, if that emotional investment is stolen or duped from us, then we have, effectually, given a bit of ourselves for nothing, or worse, for a negative return.

It is indeed a shame, but it is also the hard truth.  People have that need to ensure a payoff, because we all of us have only so much emotional currency to invest.  If that investment is returned with socrn and derision, or worse, if that emotional investment is stolen or duped from us, then we have, effectually, given a bit of ourselves for nothing, or worse, for a negative return.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that was a pretty brave and honest reply Shade, much respect to you for that honesty, much respect.

So then, if we are in effect - living a life that causes us (or so we beleive) to constantly draw from and thus deplete our delicate emotional reserves (I say delicate simply because of the limited amount) is there - should there be - anything that we can do about this?

And if there is - in fact back up, if this is (what you just described very eloquently) an issue or a problem that we can recognize and address - are we not then - on a course of risk? In other words do we add value to our lives and deepen the ability to impact the lives of others when we pursue and address our limited emotional (can I add spiritual???) resources?

I wonder sometimes that if we simply expect to take the hits, embrace the role of a suffering servant (ie accept and explore) as opposed to wasting our energy on a venerable daily defense - can we free ourselves from our own bondage? Can we restore our reserves? Find purpose? Become strength?

The world constantly hammers you. Consume. Conform. Survice. Fear.

We re-introduce that relationship (sometimes) with the media and music that we entertain ourselves with - in other words we go on sabbatical with the constant reminder of war and the futility of the cause of life. We do this because after X amount of years of conditioning, were "comfortable" with what we know.

And as a society we've also bought into the euphamystical lifestyle of declaring a tactical position of victimization and then begin supplimenting ourselves with pharmecutical anti-depressants to the point where we cannot simply stop using them without tragic results. We cannot simply "kick". And we do this by the thousands now - in every level of society..(dirge of the deathmob)

And we search for the payoff.

I'll give you this life (of nothingness) in exchange for (?????)

- we've been duped folks.

we've been duped.

Steven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i do live like this. i would give my life for my kids, and i would do that any day of the week.

however i also said i would give my life for a loved one dying of a disease - if i could, which i can't. it is not possible.

but i would give my life in a HEARTBEAT to save my kids. without them, life would not mean a whole lot to me anymore.

ok, i've read this thread, and it's taken me a few days to think of an answer, but i've got one.

i would willingly become a human guinea pig for all the medical drugs that they have to do testing on. i'm not talking about the new sinus medicatioin, or anything like that. something really potent, a virus that kills, and they have a new drug that can somehow treat it. if it's not treated by a certain time, then try a different one.

the sad thing is that people can come up with all kinds of treatments, but they can't come up with a cure? how is that not possible? then again, treatments bring in more money than cures.

at least i would know what dying felt like through the life of someone terminally ill.

i always have that second life to die a different way; it wouldn't be by choice. just some "food for thought."

Archived