What Are You Thinking? (cont'd)

TronRP

44 minutes ago, TronRP said:

It's so amusing how this World has changed with regards to technology so much that they've created blanket messages that if you are reading this, you can, "Trade in your old device for cash...".

Yeah, I don't think they are gunning for a Ryzen Core Desktop with a boatload of peripherals that was build from an Antec Barebones kit 6 years ago.  But hey, you never know.

😆

They don't care, they just want you to buy a new device.  CONSUME.

Your device is six months old?  It's an antique that was already obsolete when it was new.  Nevermind the fact that whatever device you have now is perfectly adequate if you don't play AAA games or watch content in 8K raw format.  Also that it just adds to the pile of ewaste or that donating it would probably be more helpful if you were to get rid of it.  Also that they've cheapened the hell out of everything and added in even more TPM and spying backdoors on the hardware level.

It's things like that which make Ted look like an anti-hero to quite a few people.

The problem is most people just don't care that this is happening.  We all have a carbon footprint and are destroying the earth for new cool gadgets that admittedly some of which do make our lives a little easier but we could still do without them.  We are totally the lobster in the boiling pot that is just content to sit there as we don't notice that it's starting to get a bit warm.  Then the rich will build safe havens from all of that while a lucky few will get to work as slaves (if that hasn't been automated yet) while the rest of us languish and starve on the outside of whatever utopia they construct for themselves.

1 hour ago, kat said:

The sky is lighting up, the wind is blowing around and I just got a warning for a flood watch but damn this breeze is amazing.

There's a buzzing outside that sounds kinda like a boat but I really don't think a boat is out in that wind atm.

lightningmaps.org That's a lot of orange!

The UPS made an angry beep and clicky noise.  Still have power for now but for how long?  BUT FOR HOW LONG!?

At least all my electronics are protected.

Why my mother is going to be giving people rides to the airport tomorrow when she and the step father are now covid positive? Don't care if it was planned already, these people can figure out other rides. Like other friends. Or uber. Or lyft. or metro cabs. Anyone other than someone with covid.

7 hours ago, TronRP said:

It sounds like my case fan is on its last leg so a Micro Center run may be in my immediate future. 

I have a drawer full of them.

Otherwise, Newegg or Amazon probably have better prices.

A good cleaning may extend it's life just a bit too.  Remove the fan, take a small air compressor, and then just blow the hell out of it along with the mounting point.

If there are pets a filter may also help, but also restricts airflow and forces the motor to work harder.  I usually just avoid them.

Though I'm sure you know most of this already, it's mostly for others that may read.

13 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

I have a drawer full of them.

Otherwise, Newegg or Amazon probably have better prices.

A good cleaning may extend it's life just a bit too.  Remove the fan, take a small air compressor, and then just blow the hell out of it along with the mounting point.

If there are pets a filter may also help, but also restricts airflow and forces the motor to work harder.  I usually just avoid them.

Though I'm sure you know most of this already, it's mostly for others that may read.

~~~~~

Yeah.

Also, this is a nearly 20 year old fan.  As I build computers as a hobby, I also monster them together from other computers I've built in the past.  As long as a component is still good, it gets put into the new barebones.  The cases I get typically have spaces for up to 6 internal fans and have multiple removable case filters for easy cleaning; which is why I've had this case going on 7 years.

Because I do usually house a number of rescues, all tech is raised on modified platforms.  It keeps the fur flow to a minimum, but dust is always omnipresent. 😆

Having maintenance supply company accounts is a bonus so I keep cases of air in a can on hand. 

I'm one of those people that if I can extend the life of something I already have, I will keep it alive for as long as possible.  That and the fact that I dislike constant change. 😅

16 hours ago, NocteSpiritus said:

Why my mother is going to be giving people rides to the airport tomorrow when she and the step father are now covid positive? Don't care if it was planned already, these people can figure out other rides. Like other friends. Or uber. Or lyft. or metro cabs. Anyone other than someone with covid.

~~~~~

With the significant decline in the death rate due to having covid, people have started thinking of it like having the common cold.  "Sure it's contagious, but there's a good chance you won't die from it."

*massive eyeroll*

😷

2 minutes ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

Yeah.

Also, this is a nearly 20 year old fan.  As I build computers as a hobby, I also monster them together from other computers I've built in the past.  As long as a component is still good, it gets put into the new barebones.  The cases I get typically have spaces for up to 6 internal fans and have multiple removable case filters for easy cleaning; which is why I've had this case going on 7 years.

Because I do usually house a number of rescues, all tech is raised on modified platforms.  It keeps the fur flow to a minimum, but dust is always omnipresent. 😆

Having maintenance supply company accounts is a bonus so I keep cases of air in a can on hand. 

I'm one of those people that if I can extend the life of something I already have, I will keep it alive for as long as possible.  That and the fact that I dislike constant change. 😅

Canned air is good for delicate circuitry, however for really cleaning other things like the case/fans/et cetera I like an air compressor.  I even use that on the boards but I don't recommend it as too much can literally damage it especially if any condensation gets into the tank (letting the air out completely helps to prevent that though) or blow components off the board (you really have to hamfist it for that to happen though.)

Anyway, the current system has all new fans except for the OEM one in the bottom that I still need to hook up.  The two car radiator fans also still need to be connected but I'm not sure how to go about that.  There is a standup fan currently blowing the hot air out of the back.  The case is a MasPar MP-2204 cabinet from what I guess is around '86-'87 and I also think it was a prototype.  It really is a beautiful monstrosity to behold and I will be very happy when I am done building it.

My last case was a rackmount that my high school threw out.  I'd probably still be using that if the heatsink for the Threadripper wasn't so huge that it would no longer fit.  I still have that and will probably use it for another system, but I figured the main one finally deserved the cabinet.

19 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

Canned air is good for delicate circuitry, however for really cleaning other things like the case/fans/et cetera I like an air compressor.  I even use that on the boards but I don't recommend it as too much can literally damage it especially if any condensation gets into the tank (letting the air out completely helps to prevent that though) or blow components off the board (you really have to hamfist it for that to happen though.)

Anyway, the current system has all new fans except for the OEM one in the bottom that I still need to hook up.  The two car radiator fans also still need to be connected but I'm not sure how to go about that.  There is a standup fan currently blowing the hot air out of the back.  The case is a MasPar MP-2204 cabinet from what I guess is around '86-'87 and I also think it was a prototype.  It really is a beautiful monstrosity to behold and I will be very happy when I am done building it.

My last case was a rackmount that my high school threw out.  I'd probably still be using that if the heatsink for the Threadripper wasn't so huge that it would no longer fit.  I still have that and will probably use it for another system, but I figured the main one finally deserved the cabinet.

~~~~~

Yeah, I do delicate circuitry work when needed.  I'm also not adverse to breaking things down and getting inside the workings as I no longer have to be concerned with warranties at this point. :hrhr:

I love that phrasing of "a beautiful monstrosity".  I've had a few of those in my time, but nothing on a major scale.  That case looks like something I remember seeing when I collected data from the plant floors back when I worked for GM during my community college years.  I've never seen the insides...grabby, grabby. :evil:

Component upgrades and the need for multiple bays were the reasons I ended up moving to larger frames else I would probably still be using the "Compaq" frame that I linked with a "Dell" system after I hijacker the innards. :rofl:

9 minutes ago, TronRP said:

I've never seen the insides...grabby, grabby.

Honestly most are the same.  The original innards are unfortunately long gone.   I was storing them in the garage and my father threw them out.  There was a backplane that connected everything together and some daughterboards that plugged into it on slides.  All of those had an array of chips that said PROT on them.  That and the fact that the top of the case doesn't look anything like the photo makes me think it was a prototype machine.  It had some mesh vents that were blocked off with metal blanks glued to it, and then a cap on that.  It also sucked all the hot air down instead of pushing it up with the giant fan in the bottom, but it blew it all on the power supply at the very bottom.

I'm sure it's no where near as impressive as those GM systems were though but you're still welcome to come poke at it.  I just hope one day I stop getting distracted and actually finish it.  The next task is to cut the mesh and blanks that I still have for the top to increase and focus the airflow.

15 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

With the significant decline in the death rate due to having covid, people have started thinking of it like having the common cold.  "Sure it's contagious, but there's a good chance you won't die from it."

*massive eyeroll*

😷

Yeah. She wasn't sure she had it despite knowing two people had it (myself and the sister). The sister being in bed sick with it for the better part of three days and my step father (who's like twenty years older than my mom) having it. 

She definitely has it today when I called to see if she could drive me to an optimitris appoitment tomorrow. Said sister is over now (for the night) to give me the ride.

I spent the entire move-in walking on a smashed big toe with a cracked toenail.  I think resting it yesterday kept the nail from pulling away from the toe and there is very little swelling.  Unfortunately, I don't have another day to spare and it's time to get back to business.

I think I got disgruntled at the state of a few things.  It felt like there is finally enough time to take care of the stuff around the houses and the yards that need to be done, but I am doing it on my time.  I just don't want to mention HOW I'm handling things or WHEN they will be handled.  However, that doesn't seem to sit well when there is someone who feels they need to micromanage from a distance.  I'm really going to stay as nice as possible about this.

...but in the shadows...

:rant:

4 minutes ago, TronRP said:

I think that took longer than expected, but at least I got something done.

You seem like you get lots of things done all the time.  I'd say you need a break but that's your call I suppose.

Though people tell me I should do more and I probably feel the same way you do.  So keep up the good work and huzzah for progress!