Please pray for my dad

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patients treated with optimal therapy, including surgical resection, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy, have a median survival of approximately 12 months, with fewer than 25% of patients surviving up to 2 years and fewer than 10% of patients surviving up to 5 years.

fuck

So it's a "Glioblastoma multiforme" and its a grade 4. Which I guess it's pretty bad. There is a chance it could regrow between 6-18 months. Dad has to start aggressive chemo and radiation within the next week. I really don't know what we are going to do. I have to figure something out job wise so I can help pay the bills so we don't lose the house. Because frankly we have way too much shit to move. And my family has been living on this property since 1874, this is our home.

Edit to add:

Just wanted to put the right name of the tumor/cancer it is.

(((hugs)))

I will keep your family in my thoughts and hope you find a way to keep your house as well as wishing restored health for your father.

fuck

...it's IS better than, say, 3 weeks of headaches & instant death...right?

..like Brenda said...cherish it...

...& hey, at least your daddy loves you ;) you have NO CLUE how many are without that...it is your GOLD...cherish it....

...OH...& get plenty of pics now...you don't wants the end ;)

G*D BLESS YOUR HOUSE!

So it's a "Glioblastoma multiforme" and its a grade 4. Which I guess it's pretty bad. There is a chance it could regrow between 6-18 months. Dad has to start aggressive chemo and radiation within the next week. I really don't know what we are going to do. I have to figure something out job wise so I can help pay the bills so we don't lose the house. Because frankly we have way too much shit to move. And my family has been living on this property since 1874, this is our home.

Edit to add:

I am not sure how a person goes about this, but you may look into having a fund raiser like at a local club. My family went through this with my father and the local Engels club had a spaghetti dinner to help raise money for the medical bills. It maybe something to look into. Maybe even contact a newspaper to get the word out there that your family needs help. I know it is hard. Be strong.

I am not sure how a person goes about this, but you may look into having a fund raiser like at a local club. My family went through this with my father and the local Engels club had a spaghetti dinner to help raise money for the medical bills. It maybe something to look into. Maybe even contact a newspaper to get the word out there that your family needs help. I know it is hard. Be strong.

I've been thinking about it, but my parents don't want to hear about it. They figure since they have decent insurance that we are better off than most people in this area. I will do it without their blessing in a few months if the situation gets worse.

Sadly dad is actually kinda looking forward to getting his medical marijuana card.

We just got a call from the doctor. It's cancer, so dad has to start radiation and chemo soon. I'm holding it together pretty well, just worried about mom losing it. Dad has just kinda accepted that he's not going to work again.

From what I learned with my mom, it almost always is cancerous. The chemo and radiation are usually really well tolerated, and in cases like your Dad and my mom, where they got the whole thing, it's just to prevent regrowth. Hopefully it'll go the same way for your dad as we have seen in our world. One run of each and no new regrowth. *hugs* Try to stay positive.

Edit to add:

Sorry, saw this after I posted first. This is the EXACT same thing my mother has / had. She just went back to work, and is fine. The meds they have out right now for this cancer are very good at passing the blood / brain barrier and are VERY good at what they do. He has a fighting chance. PLEASE don't give up hope yet. I know how horribly, horribly scary this is. You cannot give up hope that he'll do well. He just may be ok. I know i've said this before, but if you or he wants any information, resource, or just a sounding board, me, and my mother, are here for you guys.

Sorry, saw this after I posted first. This is the EXACT same thing my mother has / had. She just went back to work, and is fine. The meds they have out right now for this cancer are very good at passing the blood / brain barrier and are VERY good at what they do. He has a fighting chance. PLEASE don't give up hope yet. I know how horribly, horribly scary this is. You cannot give up hope that he'll do well. He just may be ok. I know i've said this before, but if you or he wants any information, resource, or just a sounding board, me, and my mother, are here for you guys.

Well that's good to know. Unfortunately though with dad's job there is absolutely no chance he'll be able to work again, he's a chief engineer on the great lakes freighters. I gave my mom the website you gave me and she's been checking it out.

So dad will be starting radiation next week, 5 days a week which I will be driving him to. So not sure how much I will be on. He had appointments in Saginaw the past 2 days, and both went well. Just wanted to keep ya'll updated. Not sure if you really want to be, but this is really the only place I have to vent where my mother or family can't read.

So dad will be starting radiation next week, 5 days a week which I will be driving him to. So not sure how much I will be on. He had appointments in Saginaw the past 2 days, and both went well. Just wanted to keep ya'll updated. Not sure if you really want to be, but this is really the only place I have to vent where my mother or family can't read.

:grouphug , :grouphug , and :grouphug . Plus some additional :grouphug :grouphug in case you can't make it back here too often and the first three didn't tide you over. :grouphug :grouphug again, for good measure.

Dad was in the hospital earlier this week for a few days. His COPD decided now was a good time to have a horrid flare up. So now he's on water pills, breathing treatments and oxygen. He's still in good spirits though, just sounds like hell when he sleeps.

• 3 weeks later...

I figure I would post this here too.

chiliflier.jpg

He's doing alright, been going to radiation and doing chemo for about a week and a half now. Still trying to figure out how to pay the bills, so a friend organized this benefit. But I need to get some sleep..have to get up early and shave his head before radiation.

• 2 months later...

So my dad was admitted to the local hospital yesterday with breathing issues from his COPD. They thought there was a blood clot, but thankfully there isn't. If you could please send prayers and good vibes up this way, I would greatly appreciate it.

So my dad was admitted to the local hospital yesterday with breathing issues from his COPD. They thought there was a blood clot, but thankfully there isn't. If you could please send prayers and good vibes up this way, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sending positive energy his way. Hopefully they'll get it under control soon.