annoying words

Simon Bar Sinister

yeah, so I was watching the news earlier, and there was a story on 2009's most annoying words. "Whatever" won, followed by "y'know". "It is what it is" and "at the end of the day" also made the list. Odd, since those are phrases, but whateva.

this thread will die a horrible death if y'all don't contribute some, so have at it! :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of my job:

"Why do I have to tell you that?"

"Is this <insert name of company that I work for>?" (By the way, I say the name of the company I work for slowly and clearly when I answer the phone so this question is fucking idiotic)

"Politically correct"

"Race" (same as Rev)

Non-words like "irregardless"

Catch phrases in general... especially:

"You go girl"

"Oh no you/he/she didn't"

"Git 'er done"

"Aw, snap"

Corporate-speak is godawful, too. The kind of nonsense that gets spouted at meetings.

Because of my job:

"Why do I have to tell you that?"

"Is this <insert name of company that I work for>?" (By the way, I say the name of the company I work for slowly and clearly when I answer the phone so this question is fucking idiotic)

HOLY CRAP! I get this at least once a day.

"Swagger", or any variation used to describe someone's style in a positive light. Has anybody ACTUALLY looked it up? Its not a good thing, when you think about it. Really.

Non-words like "irregardless"

irregardless is actually an accepted word now - it's classified as "non-standard" and while it's non correct in formal style, it's accepted in informal/casual usage. every dictionary in which i looked, had "irregardless" listed.

to me, if it's in the dictionary, it's a word! :)

HOLY CRAP! I get this at least once a day.

"Swagger", or any variation used to describe someone's style in a positive light. Has anybody ACTUALLY looked it up? Its not a good thing, when you think about it. Really.

In a similar vein, "diva". In the past several years this word has acquired the connotation of "celebrity" in a positive or enviable sense. It actually refers to someone who is talented but arbitrary and demanding in their behavior, and difficult to deal with- similar to "prima donna". Of course words shift meaning over time... but this one happened kind of overnight, and it really irritates me for some reason.

for me, its not the word or phrase itself... its how its used...

for example: "I'm sorry about the mud on the floor... I know you just mopped today, but it rained and the pigs brought in all the mud"

in this case, the words "I'm sorry" make me want to punch someone in the face. its not a matter of "I'm sorry there's mud on the floor", it should have been said in this way: "I know they are my pigs and I should clean up after them, especially when you spent <X amount of hours> working to get it clean, but: I'm sorry; I'm so lazy and irresponsible"

but yes, "I don't know" does irritate me to no end (in certain situations), but when I was growing up, my mom would always ask me why something has happened, or why I acted a certain way, and I honestly wouldn't know the answer to it (especially if the event was beyond my control, and my mom was an idiot and just assumed I was the guilty one), and I'd get a smack on the ass with a belt, every time those words came out of my mouth... seriously, asking a 4 year old why they behave a certain way, and expect an intellectual response? are you kidding me?!

Edited by GothicRavenGoddess

Don't understand the problem with 'it is what it is' and 'at the end of the day'...but okay. Maybe I'm just used to those because I hear them in meetings so much. One guy at Ford uses them like exclusively every single time I see him like a million times...never bothered me though. I find myself saying it now ("It is what it is", I mean). It reminds me of the Japanese しょうがない which means "can't be helped", but more natural, so I find myself using it where I'd use しょうがない in Japanese. I find myself thinking in the wrong language sometimes so it's nice to have these good more-or-less equivalents I can easily remember to replace it when I'm about to accidentally speak the wrong language. XD

"It is what it is" is sort of a poor substitute.

Maybe it's just because "shikata ga nai" I always remember being said in that resigned, sighing tone. The words just seem to go hand-in-hand with the tone.

They're both resignation, and can be said in either tone of voice, can't they? I hear "it is what it is" in a resigned tone a lot as well as a more optimistic "let's deal with it" type of mood...same with shikata nai / shou ga nai (technically what I said but either way). Can be in a sighing voice or with a looking/moving-forward attitude.