The DGN Calendar Shots

Thats a great idea FarrIL.  :grin

A new pic is in order anyway, since the ones I have are only so-so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are not so/so! They're just not going to work size-wise for the calendar. I would love to see people do their shots in twos or more. We can keep it down to a 12 month calendar that way, making it less expensive.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are not so/so! They're just not going to work size-wise for the calendar. I would love to see people do their shots in twos or more. We can keep it down to a 12 month calendar that way, making it less expensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A 3MP camera was used in ones I sent ya, not to mentioned I did some minor editing. I could send the unedited version if you still wanted it, although I agree with you about having new ones with more the one person in the shot.

Msterbeau said that they're not the right size for a calendar. Since we don't want grainy, I would go for being photographed again. Like I said, if some of you can group up, that would be beautiful. I would like each month to have different faces. None of this "I was on a few of the pages" thing. New eye candy each month. I can tell you that I would keep it even after 2006 ends...

Just a suggestion, for what it's worth.

My experience in the actual printing process isn't as deep as my experience in MAKING the stuff that gets printed. However, I do know that going with a more standard print size will keep costs down.

What I'd recommend is going with a format that is basically ledger size. It's a sheet of paper that's 17" long by 11" wide - like putting two normal pieces of paper together by the long side. Ledger size is pretty standard, and would probably keep costs down, rather than going with a bookstore-style BIG calendar size.

That would allow for the large pics to be 8" x 10" easily.

Also, plan to print the large, full-page monthly pictures without a bleed - as in plan to have a whitespace border around the pic, rather than have it extend the entire spanse of the paper, requiring actually printing on a larger page, and having it cut down to size. You'll save a lot if you don't go with a bleed.

As for printing process/format, You'd save a ton of money if someone did the computer-work themselves and then submitted a PDF file to a service bureau. I would offer my services on that, however I'm working on a scrapbook project for my mother and don't have time outside of that and eBay.

Just for tips, however, I think a majority of service bureaus are still using Adobe Illustrator. Most use Macs that can handle Windows files as well.

It would be nice if the photos didn't have to end up screened, but that might not be avoidable.

Just a suggestion, for what it's worth.

My experience in the actual printing process isn't as deep as my experience in MAKING the stuff that gets printed. However, I do know that going with a more standard print size will keep costs down.

What I'd recommend is going with a format that is basically ledger size. It's a sheet of paper that's 17" long by 11" wide - like putting two normal pieces of paper together by the long side. Ledger size is pretty standard, and would probably keep costs down, rather than going with a bookstore-style BIG calendar size.

That would allow for the large pics to be 8" x 10" easily.

Also, plan to print the large, full-page monthly pictures without a bleed - as in plan to have a whitespace border around the pic, rather than have it extend the entire spanse of the paper, requiring actually printing on a larger page, and having it cut down to size. You'll save a lot if you don't go with a bleed.

As for printing process/format, You'd save a ton of money if someone did the computer-work themselves and then submitted a PDF file to a service bureau. I would offer my services on that, however I'm working on a scrapbook project for my mother and don't have time outside of that and eBay.

Just for tips, however, I think a majority of service bureaus are still using Adobe Illustrator. Most use Macs that can handle Windows files as well.

It would be nice if the photos didn't have to end up screened, but that might not be avoidable.

Good suggestions. I'm not REAL experienced on the print side either. I DO have all the tools to get everything together ..editing, etc... and my BFA just happens to be in design... :grin Why PDF? Because it's a format that everyone can open? Or are you talking about doing all the calender design as well? Wouldn't they just drop the photos into a template of our choice? Granted...most of those probably suck...

OS issues hardly matter anymore.

A 3MP camera was used in ones I sent ya, not to mentioned I did some minor editing. I could send the unedited version if you still wanted it, although I agree with you about having new ones with more the one person in the shot.

3MP might work if the basic image is of good quality. Again...the printing process itself will help determine the best final specs for the images. For example... A local place used to print to canvas... because of the coarseness of it, it's hardly worth printing at 300dpi if you don't see quality differences after 100dpi...

Brenda...I have nothing to recommend other then your own preferences and our budget. I don't print stuff often enough... I suppose I could check a little and see what's available here and get back with you if I see something particularly appealing.

Good suggestions.  I'm not REAL experienced on the print side either.  I DO have all the tools to get everything together ..editing,  etc...  and my BFA just happens to be in design...  :grin    Why PDF?  Because it's a format that everyone can open?  Or are you talking about doing all the calender design as well?  Wouldn't they just drop the photos into a template of our choice?  Granted...most of those probably suck...

OS issues hardly matter anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Templates suck. Gads, don't go with someone else's template.

Converting your finished Illustrator, Pagemaker, CorelDraw or other document into a PDF file does the following: imbeds your fonts so you don't have to worry about whether or not the service bureau has those same fonts or having to provide them for them; eliminates the problems you can run into as to whether or not they'll have the same software you used; makes a much smaller file to print.

The first two are incredibly important points when dealing with taking a file to a service bureau.

And I am suggesting someone create the calendar themselves and then present a totally finished product to a service bureau. If you do that, you will only pay for the price of printing. Anything beyond that will seriously co$t you.

It really isn't that difficult. You can take any drawing program - heck, even an ancient version of MacDraw - draw out a calendar page, fill in the text and numbers, take your Tif photos and drop them into place where they belong, save it as a PDF file and bam - you're done.

I really wish I could help on that end. I'm not officially educated in design, but I did work as in-house desktop publisher for AAA Michigan and another Dearborn company for 5 years, and did DP freelance for a while. I am proficient in this sort of thing, and it wouldn't be difficult at all. But the distance thing and other obligations just don't allow for it.

Oh, I also suggest contacting a handful of different service bureaus first to see what they'd charge. Also, they're generally happy to let you speak to their designers so they can give you pointers on what to provide to them. For instance, it just may be that you will have to provide them with a PDF file that consists only of the calendar pages WITHOUT the pictures in place, so they can screen the pictures and drop them in themselves.

I don't think this can be done inexepensively at a place like Kinko's, if that's what Brenda was considering. Maybe a one-off calendar would work through them. But to have 20-50-100 calendars would probably cost a mint.

I have a suggestion for the calendar...If it has been bandied about, please shoot me when I show up at CC...

How about for each person's birthday...Put a different pic of them in that date's box?

For example, my birthday is January 5th...Use my avatar pic for my birthday square...Or something along those lines...Not only would it allow for EVERYONE to be in the calendar, but it would allow for smaller and lower quality pics, as well.

Just an idea...

Good news about the calendar!!!

I know that we've been bouncing about in here about the shots as well as cost. My sister's ex-husband is in the printing biz, and Is willing to help me with this! I'm reposting this in the Costs poll, so don't freak if you see it more than once!

Anyone getting shot? Been shot? How about updates, my lovelies!!!

I will be shooting HH tomorrow night in a cemetary... Should be interesting. :whistling

That's it for now. STILL haven't made time to look obtain "proper" studio lighting/reflectors. Tomorrow. I also need to snag a few colored gels to play with...

I still want to do a shoot with Tomcat, but he's been hiding lately.

We could make a Brenda-call.... Kinda like a duck call except when you blow it it says "Jeffffff...come here you big stud" In a sultry voice, remarkably like Brenda's. He'll come out. :grin

Wimp...  :tongue:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nothing to do with whimping out, i just have so much on my plate right now i dont think i could get myself to be how i want to be in pics. The only thing that would show up in the pics owuld be alot of stress, hurt, anger, and saddness. That's not how i want to be portrayed, i wear my emotions on my face/eyes like a big bold sign i can't hide them well.

I just can't commit, if i get out n about and things fall into place then yes i will subit a pic, i just dotn want to be counted apon to do this as i dont think i can force my self to be accountable and follow through right now.

Life is just too hard right now.

lilith

Thats a great idea!

I have a suggestion for the calendar...If it has been bandied about, please shoot me when I show up at CC...

How about for each person's birthday...Put a different pic of them in that date's box?

For example, my birthday is January 5th...Use my avatar pic for my birthday square...Or something along those lines...Not only would it allow for EVERYONE to be in the calendar, but it would allow for smaller and lower quality pics, as well.

Just an idea...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We could make a Brenda-call....  Kinda like a duck call except when you blow it it says "Jeffffff...come here you big stud"  In a sultry voice, remarkably like Brenda's.  He'll come out.  :grin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:confused Someone call me?

Archived