Labyrinth Memories

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have no memories but I certainly would like to check it out!

....?

The reason it is called "Labyrinth Memories" is because it has been closed now for awhile and most likely permanently this time.

Actually, Labyrinth was technically the first club night I ever went to. Electro-Industrial Wednesday at Luna was the first time going to a club while I was over 21.

Both times it was with my boyfriend at the time, Ron. Labyrinth sucked when we went and it was the only time we ever bothered to go. There was about four people there and it was a dank basement, we definately went when it was on its way out. I've heard stories of it being amazing back in the day. How my understanding of what the unofficial setup went was that back in the day more of the youngins who were of the more modern rivethead/cyber-industrial assortment would tend to go upstairs to CC and all of the awesome old school goths would tend to gravitate towards Labyrinth. The scene has started a horrible decline and is getting deeper into terrible taste year after year. After awhile everything popular was watered down trancy industrial that is absolutely repetative and boring to listen to and doesn't evoke much thought (not to be confused with awesome EBMdustrial-ectro), and that is what sealed the Labyrinth's fate...along with bad management. I really wish we had a constant old school night in Metro Detroit, but that will probably not happen. At least CC has the consideration to throw an old school night here and there a few times a year and to play more of the older and more dark stuff on Fridays.

Wish I would have got to see it in its hey-day. I hate being a younger person, I feel like I should have been born 20 years earlier than I was due to my tastes and interests *le sigh*.

Edited by Chernobyl

First time I went to the Lab was to see Ego Likeness open for Cruxshadows (2005). Got propositioned by a swinger. Stared Sarah Poulos in the face whilst they sang "Helen", me singing along.

2008--- Got to be in my first runway fashion show, Exotica 2. I so wanted to steal that camo corset. D:

Did I already go on about giving free Jager shots to every customer I served as an excuse to do shots myself thus getting so slammed I didn't remember closing up, accidentally tried to break into a car, and thought my car was stolen?

Punk rock Fridays...

keep that happening i will be one veyr happy customer lol.

now its time to listen to the Jagermeister love song.

....?

I really wish we had a constant old school night in Metro Detroit, but that will probably not happen. At least CC has the consideration to throw an old school night here and there a few times a year and to play more of the older and more dark stuff on Fridays.

Wish I would have got to see it in its hey-day. I hate being a younger person, I feel like I should have been born 20 years earlier than I was due to my tastes and interests *le sigh*.

Ya know...everyone says they wish there was a constant old school night, and then it happens and very few people come because they have some lame excuse, yet still go to city club. People are more worried about the "hot spots" and there social standing in the scene... I would do it again if I had the chance but i dont have the social standing to find a way to start up a night. I have pretty much dropped out of the scene because of how its turned. Saint has tried/ is trying to bring in the new stuff (as he should) but not very many people are clinging to that either. Everyone is stuck in the VnV/combi stuff, which I like some of it but yea... the scene isnt going to have a standing old school night until people start actually showing up, same with new stuff. Thats why I kinda liked dead line (not trying to promote it, I know its dead,lol) because it was the old in one room, the new in the other.

Ya know...everyone says they wish there was a constant old school night, and then it happens and very few people come because they have some lame excuse, yet still go to city club. People are more worried about the "hot spots" and there social standing in the scene... I would do it again if I had the chance but i dont have the social standing to find a way to start up a night. I have pretty much dropped out of the scene because of how its turned. Saint has tried/ is trying to bring in the new stuff (as he should) but not very many people are clinging to that either. Everyone is stuck in the VnV/combi stuff, which I like some of it but yea... the scene isnt going to have a standing old school night until people start actually showing up, same with new stuff. Thats why I kinda liked dead line (not trying to promote it, I know its dead,lol) because it was the old in one room, the new in the other.

:cheers::unworthy:

first place I met anyone in mi... Art and Mac

got a $100 tip once for spinning down there

Ronin from VNV came up to me and told me he liked our music

Rogue from Cruxshadows and I were trying to have a deep conversation about music technology while these girls were salivating over him

miss hanging out with David, Allison, Sarah, Logan, Marianne....

miss watching the girls dance to Silver Circle

I once dragged some 6ft Austrian drunk bastard up the stairs and threw him onto the street for harassing some young goth couple

annoying song requests that would kill the dance floor hehe

turning up the music so loud that Blackie would complain about shot glasses vibrating all over and fogging up the place

Shawn playing Prince and pissing people off

Some asshole giving me attitude for not having any Sex Gang Children

bringing a horny teacher I work with down and her getting groped before one of our shows and her freaking out... then she wanted to have sex in that little room by the stage... we didn't:)

Spun at a Hellbound and then the following week, a parent came to my school in the middle of the school lobby and asked about the band, said do you remember I was the one wearing assless chaps, right there in the school lobby in front of other parents

I could go on and on...

there are plans a foot...

Some asshole giving me attitude for not having any Sex Gang Children

Don't think it could've been me but there were a couple of other Lab folks who were just as big into SGC as me and most likely to raise a fuss. lol

Haven't seen Art in years.

I remember the male half of the Rubber Twins used to hang out there frequently and would ask security to see him safely to his car afterwards.

Anyone remember Prince look-alike Tone?

• 3 weeks later...

I never got out to the clubs much, unless it was for a concert, when I did I would always got to the Lab or Ascension UK, they were less noisy and always easier to just relax and enjoy the music.

Labyrinth has always been notorious over the years for its open/close status, and there was a girl who owned it in 02-03 or maybe even 04 named Bobbie I think, she wanted me to be the Metal DJ and they were going to start doing a Metal night there, I remember talking to her, was a show played by Genocya and Relik, and the next day the club was closed again, dammit.

Always had good memories when I went there otherwise.

• 1 month later...

I doubt it would take as much this time around to clean up the lab as it did first time around. We were literally shoveling sewage off of the floor. I think that is why I always had poor vibes from the place. Sure, I have a lot of good memories as well, but running shows there sucked and DJing there was even worse. I do recall the first time Apop played in Detroit, was down there and they opened for Spahn Ranch. I remember he tried some funky voice tricks and almost got booed off the stage until he changed to singing normal by the third song... That was quite a packed show. I think it was that show that Emileigh Rohn handed out her debut album for Chiasm... I still have that floating around somewhere... Oh and I remember as packed as that show was, the second Apop went off stage (after an encore), there was less than a dozen people still there by the time Spahn Ranch played and boy were they pissed!!!!

I'd like to see the Lab reborn in another location. The original space has so many problems that many people will refuse to believe they've been fixed even if they have.

Yea, the lab is bad... its like CC, only worse, im still amazed people flock to CC. Although the feel of the lab will never be replicated, and the actual goth music feel seems to be a failed attempt regardless the venue -_-

Edited by DJ Nocker