Labyrinth Memories

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Djing with Sarah, hanging out with Brian, Marianne, and the whole crew down there... It was so much fun and my first experience to the Detroit scene. Mac and Art introduced me to a lot of people back then. That was also were we did our first show with d:konstruct. I also remember hanging out with Ronin after the VNV/Apop show which was important to me because those guys really inspired me with song writing. I also remember having a nice chat with Rogue after opening for Cruxshadows. Spag was great... Michelle made great drinks... I miss that and Ascension. If there was something like that still around, I might go out more often. Even though it was a hole in the ground, it had its own gothic charm...

It was a gothic Cheers

I remember Djing with Sarah, hanging out with Brian, Marianne, and the whole crew down there... It was so much fun and my first experience to the Detroit scene. Mac and Art introduced me to a lot of people back then. That was also were we did our first show with d:konstruct. I also remember hanging out with Ronin after the VNV/Apop show which was important to me because those guys really inspired me with song writing. I also remember having a nice chat with Rogue after opening for Cruxshadows. Spag was great... Michelle made great drinks... I miss that and Ascension. If there was something like that still around, I might go out more often. Even though it was a hole in the ground, it had its own gothic charm...

It was a gothic Cheers

Yeah, I remember your Saturdays nights. You used to have some Andreas Shaas and Olaf Ittenbach films playing on the t.v. :wink

Is the Lab permanently shut down now? I always thought it would've been cool to connect the Lab and CC together. I imagine it still floods up a lot. It would be fun to start a new night there for newbies and bring back some old school stuff but would anyone actually come to to the Lab? I think Detroit needs a Lab/Ascension UK kinda thing. We used to have this goth club down in Cincinnati called the Club house in this alley downtown. It was 2 floors, very cool. It had a lot of atmosphere which was what I like in a club. There was a great club up in Toronto that had the same vibe... what was it called.... Sanctuary I think, cant remember. They would sometimes have noise parties across the street. Fun times...

Guest greyhalo

Is the Lab permanently shut down now? I always thought it would've been cool to connect the Lab and CC together. I imagine it still floods up a lot. It would be fun to start a new night there for newbies and bring back some old school stuff but would anyone actually come to to the Lab? I think Detroit needs a Lab/Ascension UK kinda thing. We used to have this goth club down in Cincinnati called the Club house in this alley downtown. It was 2 floors, very cool. It had a lot of atmosphere which was what I like in a club. There was a great club up in Toronto that had the same vibe... what was it called.... Sanctuary I think, cant remember. They would sometimes have noise parties across the street. Fun times...

I think people would be interested in going there on the weekends. A lot of people are annoyed with CC, so it would be a nice change of pace.

I think people would be interested in going there on the weekends. A lot of people are annoyed with CC, so it would be a nice change of pace.

People wont go to the lab, some people say they would, but not enought to kep it open.

I dunno, the first time around it seemed most CCers were set in their ways. There would be a handful who'd hang out downstairs then head up to CC. But for most of them it seemed the music wasn't "electronic" enough for them at The Lab. On the other hand, a lot of CC people used to hang out at The Lab on Wednesdays for Deep Dark Retro night.

I dunno, the first time around it seemed most CCers were set in their ways. There would be a handful who'd hang out downstairs then head up to CC. But for most of them it seemed the music wasn't "electronic" enough for them at The Lab. On the other hand, a lot of CC people used to hang out at The Lab on Wednesdays for Deep Dark Retro night.

As i said, not enough people to keep it open, 5 or 10 people would be into it (me included) but thats not enough to keep it going.

As i said, not enough people to keep it open, 5 or 10 people would be into it (me included) but thats not enough to keep it going.

Lab used to have its crowd from '98 up to the Bobbie-era. After Higgins had it closed and then re-opened the place just wasn't the same;just wasn't able to sustain the following it had. But then there were totally new people running it.

Lab used to have its crowd from '98 up to the Bobbie-era. After Higgins had it closed and then re-opened the place just wasn't the same;just wasn't able to sustain the following it had. But then there were totally new people running it.

Well you gotta remember, im a youngin and wasnt in the bar scene at that time becuase well..I wouldnt even drive, let alone drink haha.

I wouldnt mind doing a Friday night mix of goth/dark wave/electro, etc. I always just try to play a lot of requests but at the same time play stuff that keeps the dance floor going. It would be nice to put a crew together of people who really wanted to fix the Lab up a bit and promote a regular night there. Many clubs around the Us have a nice rotation of DJ's that spin on goth nights. Would managment go for it though? They could also, open up the upstairs area again as well. If the Lab had a consistent run of events and people really interested in doing something with it, it could be a lot of fun. How is the sound system, lights, etc? I think it would be a good place for DGN people to meet for variety in conjunction with CC.

I wouldnt mind doing a Friday night mix of goth/dark wave/electro, etc. I always just try to play a lot of requests but at the same time play stuff that keeps the dance floor going. It would be nice to put a crew together of people who really wanted to fix the Lab up a bit and promote a regular night there. Many clubs around the Us have a nice rotation of DJ's that spin on goth nights. Would managment go for it though? They could also, open up the upstairs area again as well. If the Lab had a consistent run of events and people really interested in doing something with it, it could be a lot of fun. How is the sound system, lights, etc? I think it would be a good place for DGN people to meet for variety in conjunction with CC.

Hope you have a bunch of rich people that will help becuase you wont et any money from the owner.

SPAG was really great! Bless Kelly & Lisa(King & Queen SPAG) for getting the ball rolling in bringing punk and rock n' roll to The Lab! :happy: Those were great nights. Took place in the upstairs bar when it was still part of The Lab. Gave it that neighborhood bar feel. It would be crowded but everywhere you turned there was someone you knew. Everyone singing along to Motorhead, The Business, and The Pogues... :cool