Anybody play any instruments?

thewhiterecluse

(it's Boshy's. Since she's a music teacher she has one of every instrument in the house except a string bass and tuba/sousaphone)

Wow: She has a gamelan, a serpent, and a contra-bassoon? How does she manage to fit the pipe organ in her house?

:laugh:

Edited by sinmantyx

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyhalo

Haha... that was me too.

Yeah, I was even in this horrid joke of a band with my best friend during our Junior year. He played a Casio sampler. We thought we were "industrial."

I played the baritone in grade school. Was maybe a little better than average, but not the best. In the old metal band I played in, I played keys. I didn't do much solo intricate piano playing as much as I was just the sounds and rhythm of the band, plus I did backup vocals and lighting effects while onstage.

Damn...you learned years and years of sheet music reading ability, the range for all octaves, quarter, whole, half, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second notes/rests, the entire Italian music vocabulary, all 8 billion major/minor and then some scales, the meaning of ALL time signatures, and ridiculous amounts of music theory in three hours? That's crazy, I didn't even think any composers could do that :tongue:.

I'm going to pretend that there isn't an insult in there somewhere... anyways... no, i said I learned to play it in 3 hours, I didn't say I mastered it. Anyone one else would have assumed that i meant that I learned the basics.... But I should have clarafied. To clarify: I learned the basics in only three hours. I had basic notes memorized, and only had to cheat with a few of the notes, becuase try as I might, I just couldn't remember what some of them were...I was doing better than some of the second a third year band memebers... so there, that should clarify things... >.<

Yaayyy! That makes me happy I was able to start a descent thread! :thumbsup: So why did you choose to learn the instrument that you did? I chose guitar because my cousin and brother played so that motivated me to take lessons plus most of the music I listened to involved a guitar. I took piano lessons because my mother insisted for me to learn but didn't force me to, it was my choice to start learning on that instrument first.

Edited by thewhiterecluse

+

i like to rape my guitar in the middle of the night from time to time. i don't exactly "play" it. but we have an ongoing relationship. ih've been playing without an e, not by choice at first. mostly i turn the gain on my practice amp to like 7, then i set the drive volume to like 2 or 3, and of course put the odrive on. then i put the vol on the actual guitar to like 2. in order to not exzzmplode my amp. it make for a weird experience. especially messing with middle and treb/bass.

i play around with frootie loops 7.0 a wee bit as well. my amp has aux in (white/red 4 |\|00|35..[just kidding]).

Yaayyy! That makes me happy I was able to start a descent thread! :thumbsup: So why did you choose to learn the instrument that you did? I chose guitar because my cousin and brother played so that motivated me to take lessons plus most of the music I listened to involved a guitar. I took piano lessons because my mother insisted for me to learn but didn't force me to, it was my choice to start learning on that instrument first.

Well...I started on trumpet because a few of my classmates convinced me it was easier than sax, which was my 1st choice. Turned out they were right - I took to it very quickly. A few years later, a classical guitar showed up under the Christmas tree. I never even thought about playing guitar; I wanted a piano, but I knew my family couldn't afford one. Again, I took to it very quickly...and I still play today.

So why did you choose to learn the instrument that you did?

My dad played piano, trumpet, and was okay on a snare drum. All through grade school I was in the church/school choir which I enjoyed and was also forced to take piano lessons which I didn't hate but didn't really enjoy either.

Sixth grade was my first time in a public school and I had the option of joining band. We had to be tested in three instruments of our choosing to see what we'd play. I chose trumpet because that's what my dad played and didn't do too great with it. I tried french horn next because it's kinda like a trumpet but looked cooler. I did really good with that and they told me that's what I should play. But I had one instrument remaining so I picked percussion. I failed my rhythm test miserably. I really, really wanted to play drums though so I convinced the band director to retest me. He finally agreed and I just barely passed. He didn't want to let me play percussion because I thought I'd do much better with the french horn but he could see drums were something I was passionate about so he let me.

I was terrible when I started but my parents found me a really good private instructor. While all my friends were learning the whole drum kit from various rock guys, my instructor was an old jazz drummer and trumpet player (maybe that's why my dad picked him) who made me hammer out rudiments on pads. I didn't even learn on real drums, just pads. It sure paid off though. From someone who failed my rhythm test the first time and barely passed the second, I worked my butt off and developed a great sense of rhythm in multiple time signatures and have great syncopation.

While there is still much more I want to learn, I'm happy that I can drum circles around most guys who were better than me when we started. So, I really don't know why I picked drums other than my dad brought a snare home from church once to practice and I thought it was cool. But having a passion for it and having a great instructor made all the difference.

Now as to why I want to learn violin? Two words: Rachel McDonnell. Although I'm sure my Celtic roots has something to do with it as well and Ashley MacIssac is certainly inspiring.

So why did you choose to learn the instrument that you did?

I chose it for a few of reasons:

1. The instrument was available to me.

2. Taking it up was part of the self-imposed classical education. I wanted to as part of a learning and experience process.

3. I liked the music for the instrument. Listening to some of the old masters (Heifetz, Stern, et al.) could move me to tears. The feeling of intensity of the music stirs something in me that lifts up the spirits. The passion, the intensity of the music is something I find appealing, and sets my standards for what I want in modern music.

Yes, I can and will geek out/give opinions on music if asked...lol

In 3rd grade I played violin, I was a quick learner but still didn't practice nearly enough. lol

Started playing bass at 17, a friend tought me a single song and I was hooked, been playing ever since.

I've also taken up guitar but sadly I don't own one making learning it very hard, though I've been told I'm actually very good at it as is.

In 3rd grade I played violin, I was a quick learner but still didn't practice nearly enough. lol

Started playing bass at 17, a friend tought me a single song and I was hooked, been playing ever since.

I've also taken up guitar but sadly I don't own one making learning it very hard, though I've been told I'm actually very good at it as is.

sooo when we doing that metal project (im not calling it a band untill we have songs.)

I played bass guitar for a punk rock band when I had my head shaved on my 18th birthday. I also played saxophone on a ska album when I moved and had my divorce I lost all my records and cds I just wanted OUT. If I had to pick from the two I'd say the ska sax was the best. Not sure if any of you know what ska music is since you're most goths.

$$

I learned to play the standard Bb clarinet at age 10. Ever since then, I have learned how to play the alto and bass clarinet, tenor and alto sax, trumpet, euphonium, keyboard, and a couple others here and there. I used to be big in playing music... but not so much anymore. I find that I don't have the time or desire these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I play metal guitar & bass. I rap. I scream. I make beats. I own a keyboard. I can't sing. I like to be offensive. I played the recorder in elementary school. I can play the shit out of the triangle.

:jamin

That's awesome, a good triangist is hard to come by now-a-days...