Anybody play any instruments?

thewhiterecluse

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had thought that the triangle was sort of a joke instrument until I saw a guy in a Samba band rock one hard. Believe me, there are people who could bury any of us at playing the triangle.

I really only play drums, but I can show off a bit by naming the ones I play

dun dun ba

songban

kenkeni

Doumbek

darbuka

surdos

djembe

ashiko

congas

tamborin

frame drums

timables

ripanique

tassa bass

my bodhran is brokeded

I has two drum sets too

and cowbells

and a chicken shaker

and pie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am seriously thinking of breaking out my violin, humidifying it, restringing it (I use the same strings Ithzak Perlman uses, (Thomastik Dominant strings with Perlon core G, D, A, Steel E-string, mittel gauge,)) and start practicing again.

I have been listening to some of the pieces I used to play (big fan of Vivaldi, Beethoven, and Bach,) done by some of the old masters (Stern, Perlman, Zuckeraman, Heifetz.) It has started to dig a burr in my desire to play a bit.

I am seriously thinking of breaking out my violin, humidifying it, restringing it (I use the same strings Ithzak Perlman uses, (Thomastik Dominant strings with Perlon core G, D, A, Steel E-string, mittel gauge,)) and start practicing again.

I have been listening to some of the pieces I used to play (big fan of Vivaldi, Beethoven, and Bach,) done by some of the old masters (Stern, Perlman, Zuckeraman, Heifetz.) It has started to dig a burr in my desire to play a bit.

I remember only about 5 years ago I wanted to start my own project involving a violin in some doom metal. Some elements of sound would be like My Dying Bride or Shape of Despair.

I used to play keys when I was in my band. At the same time I also handled backup vocals and lighting/effects.

Have a lot of the music uploaded to my website if anyone was interested in hearing some.

Edited by Reaper

I started on Bass when I was 12 and started teaching myself guitar at 15. along the way I was learning drum techniques here and there. Also picked up un the keys in my early 20's.

So my main instrument is guitar and then bass but I can also sit in and play drums (which I have) and I use my keyboard 'skills' for home studio work.

I also taught guitar from the time I was 23 until I was 27 but I gave that up because students tend to annoy me.

If I haven't already posted this, once I played the kazoo. It was a very short career. Maybe two hours at a Ferrel's. Remember Ferrel's?

I remember Ferrel's ice cream - I think it was at telegraph and 96. So that was you? I thought you were gonna go on to super stardom after that performance. =P

So my main instrument is guitar and then bass but I can also sit in and play drums (which I have) and I use my keyboard 'skills' for home studio work.

...& they are top notch "skills"....

I like your noises anyways...& I kinda' have those "skills"..& they are gettin' better..

...I needs the MORE tech...'comin' in feb...

...I got a new drum! it's a small jimbe (sp?)

• 2 years later...

I started playing violin when I was 10. I taught myself to read music. In middle school, I was taught how to play the viola and then taught myself how to play the cello and string bass. I later taught myself to play the bass guitar, which I have since forgotten and will need to teach myself to play again. I still have my violin and bass guitar, but I really really really want a cello, but a good one is really expensive. I love the sound of the cello and I always felt calmer after playing something.