You call that music? Talent?

Homicidalheathen

extreme black metal. in the bane of burzum, thors hammer, 1349. i know what they stand for, but sometimes when idiology manifests itself into a new style of music. it turns out to suck. but i think it was there intention to be void of most music theory and be all metal nazi to the extreme. althou immortal i like. althou there make up and get up are just WAY overdone

electronified ROBOT VOICE used in techno...pop...metal...in metal its usually some satanic sounding effect then, they rap

THERE IS NO REAL SINGING cause they CAN'T SING

The Vocoder is the type of machine that causes the ROBOT VOICE, and I like it a lot.... but I have to correct you there on the generalization,

there is a lot of usage of ROBOT VOICE within bands that have amazing singing abilities, but they use it on occasion for style, Covenant uses one a lot, as does VNV Nation, Kraftwerk, Melotron, Apoptygma Berzerk... those are just a handful of the ones that come to mind that use the ROBOT VOICE as well have REAL SINGING and can infact SING.

The Vocoder is the type of machine that causes the ROBOT VOICE, and I like it a lot.... but I have to correct you there on the generalization,

there is a lot of usage of ROBOT VOICE within bands that have amazing singing abilities, but they use it on occasion for style, Covenant uses one a lot, as does VNV Nation, Kraftwerk, Melotron, Apoptygma Berzerk... those are just a handful of the ones that come to mind that use the ROBOT VOICE as well have REAL SINGING and can infact SING.

...yes...but the "mainstream" got ahold of it...go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LszWWwZ2VBk....HORID!

Oh and you ever tried to program a vocoder so it sounds good? Hard work

too true...it's HARD to get a vocoder to sound like daft punk,for example.

i second the comment on (some of the) new wave of rap artists. OK, i get it. you got ho's,bling, and escalades. Go support a good charity for God's sake!

Dragonforce

So much talent - so cheesey so horribly cheesey. I'm watching a video of theirs right now. If I squint and pretend it's 1972; and try not to listen to the lyrics - I can enjoy it more. I don't put them in the "really awful column" by any means, but at times I just want throw poetry at them. Poetry that doesn't contain the word "wings".

Lordi

Lordi is just in a whole new rhelm of skirting the edge of fucking stupid. When you have to ask, "Is this satire? or are they serious?" - It's either brilliant or painfully bad. HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH!!!

Now, I'm not actually answering the question - because these bands are truly interesting. I can "stomach" them in that regard. I'm trying to think of bands that I seriously just dislike horribly to the point where I would leave the room or turn the station or bitch about at a club - but those I tend to avoid enough to not know a lot about them.

the vocal effects you hear in current rap/pop are not from vocoders.

its pitch correction/auto tune, cher was the 1st pop artist to use the effect back in 98' with that track "believe".

Was Cher the first? or the first to make it popular....

I can remember some releases from Aphex Twin that use the same type of machinary

I, for one, am loathe of these lukewarm indie hipster bands. You know the type.

The band's name is about a word shy of being a complete, idiosyncratic sentence.

Their album covers have Pitchforkmedia critical spooge all over.

They over-use "tra la la's" "la la la la's" "nah nah nah's" in their choruses.

Their lyrics are supposedly mean both nothing... and everything.

don't make me cut myself!!!1!!11!

:wink

I, for one, am loathe of these lukewarm indie hipster bands. You know the type.

The band's name is about a word shy of being a complete, idiosyncratic sentence.

Their album covers have Pitchforkmedia critical spooge all over.

They over-use "tra la la's" "la la la la's" "nah nah nah's" in their choruses.

Their lyrics are supposedly mean both nothing... and everything.

Did you have to remind me?! I generally try to chalk it up to a generational difference, but the 70's throw-back, uni-bang dada wana be crap just annoys the crap out of me. Funny thing is - I really enjoy the Dandy Warhols. Maybe it's not so much the music that I can't handle, but the self-absorbed gen-Y-me arrogant shit-head factor.

I'm old. Too old.

I don't know, I generally don't judge a band or project by it's "talent" factor. You don't have to be a virtuoso to do something worth while or interesting. Some bands (like Dragonforce) have butt loads of talent and skill, but still don't create art that I personally enjoy. MOBY (for example) does the most simple minimalist shit imaginable, but I think his work is great. (In some sort of television special, he actually composed a song in about 30 seconds for the camera - it was pretty funny.)

Archived