Specialties of the House

jynxxxedangel

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sausage Bread

I've made this for potlucks at Cherry Lane and it gets monged down with a quickness. I'm sure it would be even better made in a full-sized oven that actually has numbers on the dial so you know what temp you're cooking at!

1 loaf frozen bread dough

1 lb bulk Italian sausage (or bulk breakfast sausage with 1 tbsp fennel seed and a dash of garlic salt mixed into it)

2 c. mozarella cheese

3 slices American cheese

1 medium onion, chopped

Thaw & rise the dough according to package directions. Cook the sausage and onions in a large skillet. Drain the fat off the sausage. Roll the dough out on a floured surface, to about 10x18". Layer the other ingredients on the dough as follows: cheddar, sausage mozarella, and a little more cheddar. Roll the dough up jellyroll-style. Pinch a "seam" together firmly across the face of the roll, and pinch the ends shut. Make sure the pinched edge is on top. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 45 minutes. Slice into rounds when done. It will slice better if you let it rest for 10 minutes first.

Last time I made this I used grated sharp cheddar instead of the American cheese, I liked it even better that way!

• 2 weeks later...

It's seasonal baked-goods time!

Here is the receipt for my famous "1-2-3 Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Cookies." So EASY, and SO GOOD!!!! :)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together:

1 c. peanut butter

1/4 c. softened butter

1/2 c. sugar

1/2 c. brown sugar

Add:

1 c. boiling water

STIR.. Then add:

2 c. Bisquick Baking Mix

STIR.. Then add:

1 c. Quaker Quick Oats

1 large egg

1/2 t. cinnamon

Mix all ingredients well. Shape dough into rolls with plastic wrap. Chill until firm. Cut into rounds off of roll, about 1/2 inch thick. Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and set.

Note: This dough also freezes extremely well. I also use this basic recipe for Jam Thumbprint cookies. Just make a divot in the unbaked cookies with your thumb, and add your favorite jam before baking.

These cookies are really good, I promise. :)

Edited by jynxxxedangel

I think I have some weird form of ADD/dyslexia where if I read a recipe with more than four lines my brain will not finish or comprehend it. I'm looking at this thread and I feel like I'm reading a foreign language.

Which is not to say I don't cook, I just rarely use recipes. I taste what I'm making, and if it tastes good I serve it.

No. That's regular ADD, dear.... :rofl:

eggplant salad (works for vegans too .. if you don't mind mayo)

bake the eggplants on a grill .... or in the oven (if using the oven wrapp them up in tinfoil)

before baking .. poke them with a fork

so you bake them for 30 45 min .. untill they srink for a little bit and become a bit wrinkled

take them out "disect" them and with a spoon take the greenish pulp of yumminess out

... put the content in a vessel and let to bleed out the juices for 5 hours or so

then use a wooden table or thingie in the kitchen ... i have no idea how you call that ... nor am i gonna look it up.... use a knife to chop the greenish pulp of yumminess up .... and chop chop chop .. untill all the content becomes more like a paste ... then .. use eather of minced onions OR garlic to throw in the mix

only one can be used (as you know you rarely mix garlic with onion in raw form)

add salt ... and some mayo ... depending on taste...

serve with ... sliced bread (do please look for bread that's a bit more dense than the spongy ... can i say shit ... that you find on the market) as a spread ....

it is great food for the brain as eggplant contains loads of magnezium ...

it may be a little tough on the belly ... so if you're sensitive .. don't do it :p

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

nothing fancy here, just good eatins. easy, too!:D

Roasted root veggies

Ingredients:

8-12 slender carrots, peeled & trimmed

8-12 baby turnips, peeled

6-8 fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthwise in halves

1-2 large parsnips, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1" thick slices

1-2 medium onions, peeled and halved...then cut each half into quarters

1-2 large beets, peeled and cut into thick wedges

1-2 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cut into thick wedges

1 celery root, trimmed & halved, then each half cut into 1" thick pieces

1 whole head garlic, separated into cloves, unpeeled

2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, sage or thyme

salt

freshly-ground black pepper

extra-virgin olive oil

directions:

preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

put all the veggies and the herb sprigs in a large baking dish. season well with salt & black pepper, drizzle generously with olive oil and toss them with your hands to coat them evenly.

put the baking dish in the preheated oven and cook, stirring the veggies occasionally, until they are tender and golden brown - about 45 minutes.

have at it! I personally have no problem having this as the main course, but you might use it as a side dish.

This is something I plan on making today. It is traditional for fall cleaning day! Nothing like the warm, sugary scent of banana bread baking as an incentive.. :)

Banana Bread!!!!!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1/3 c. softened real butter or Crisco shortening

1/2 c. sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/3 buttermilk, acidulated milk, or yogurt

2 very ripe bananas, mashed

Mix shortening or butter to sugar, and egg. Mix dry ingredients together (make certain to get the leavening agents distributed evenly, or your bread won't rise correctly in the oven). Mix buttermilk, bananas, and vanilla. Add dry mixture and banana mixture to shortening mixture, and mix until smooth. Pour into greased 5 x 9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. This is best if wrapped in wax paper and foil after cooling, and left to "cure" overnight in the refrigerator.

Edited by jynxxxedangel

Pozole

...this is one of the most funnest (?) meals you can eat; kinda a cross between a soup and a salad.

4 pork hocks

1 large can whole tomatoes

1 large can hominy

3 medium/large onions, chopped

3 quarts water

salt (optional)

throw all of the above into a pot and cook covered 'til the hocks are done. remove from heat and remove hocks. when it's safe to do so, trim meat, fat & rind from hock bones. discard bones and fat, shred meat; you can also dice some of the rind and add to meat if you wish. skim fat from broth, return meat to pot and bring to a simmer.

That's it for the soup - now the fun part. shred lettuce and carrots, dice some radishes, avocados, cheese, cut lemon and lime wedges...basically, almost anything you would use in a salad. ladle soup into bowls and add garnishes in any combination you like.

:D

Edited by SpammerOvTheGods

I am always raving about my beloved "Vietnamese Iced Coffee." This tastes very similar to McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts' iced coffee.

I give you the receipt:

Vietnamese Iced Coffee (two servings)

4 tablespoons finely ground dark roast coffee (I prefer the Louisiana favorite, "Community" Brand coffee, with chicory-- it has such a nice, deep, mellow flavour) Be sure your coffee is FRESH, or it will taste like old burlap.

4 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk!)

1 t. vanilla extract

Ice cubes

2 tall ceramic coffee mugs

2 iced tea spoons

Make the coffee, using just over 16 oz. of water in your drip coffeemaker. You want it nice and strong! Put about two tablespoons of the sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 t. of vanilla in the bottom of each tall ceramic coffee mug, then pack the remainder with ice. Pour the hot coffee over all, and stir until mixed with the long spoon. Voil'a!

You may add more sweetened condensed milk, or vanilla if you like. A tablespoon or so of Whaler's vanilla rum, or Bärenfang, are also nice additions-- if you happen to have those things around. :) Drink up, my pretties..

Here's a nice Halloween treat for all those weary parents you'll see lugging their kids around the neighborhood. Halloween isn't just for kids, you know! :) Watch their eyes light up when you produce:

Margarita Jell-O Shots!!!!!

You will need:

One tube of the 1/2 oz. or one oz. plastic Solo cups

12 oz. (2 large boxes) of Lime Jell-O

3 oz of Knox Gelatine

32 oz. of boiling water

13 oz. Jose Cuervo (or the cheap stuff, if you are so inclined)

5 oz Triple Sec, Cointreau, or Grand Marnier

3 oz. of fresh squeezed lime juice

3 oz. of COLD orange juice, without pulp

1/2 t. of salt, plus margarita salt and lime wedges, for rimming edges of the Solo cups

Mix the gelatins in a large stockpot with the boiling water, until the powder is fully dissolved. Remove from heat. Then add all the other ingredients and mix well. Pour into the Solo cups, leaving about a half inch at the top. Chill, and when ready to serve, rub the rims of the cups with lime, and dip upside down into the margarita salt. Garnish with small wedges of lime.

These are something I make up every Halloween, for the grown-ups who visit. Betcha can't slurp just one! :p:wine:

Edited by jynxxxedangel

This isn't fine wine, but it's homemade, fun, and easy. The results will be varied depending on the kind of fruit, sugar content, yeast's fermentation, and temperature. This recipe uses concentrate, but you can make your own juice from stone (having a pit) or seeded berry fruits. Be sure to strain berry juice finely before using! DO NOT USE CITRUS, as the acid tends to kill off the yeast. My papaw used to use mulberries, huckleberries, strawberries, Concord grapes, cherries, peaches, and blackberries to make this.

Papaw's Homemade Balloon Wine

Makes 1-2 bottles

1- 2 1/2 oz. package of active dry yeast

4 cups of raw or refined cane sugar

1- 12 oz. can of frozen natural juice concentrate, without sweeteners (if using strawberry juice, be sure to add a pinch of baking soda, to even out the pH)

3 1/2 quarts of cold spring water

You will also need: 1 clean, dry, sterilized gallon glass jug; 1 extra large latex balloon and a sturdy rubber band; 1 large or 2 small empty, sterilized screw-cap wine bottles, or bottles of choice.

Combine the yeast, sugar, and juice concentrate in the gallon jug.

Fill the jug the rest of the way with the cold spring water.

Rinse out the balloon, and fit it over the opening of the jug.

Secure the balloon with the rubber band.

Place the jug in a cool, dry, undisturbed place.

Within a day, you will notice the balloon starting to expand. As the sugars turn into alcohol, the released gas will fill up the balloon.

When the balloon is deflated, the wine is ready to drink! It takes about six weeks, total.

Carefully pour your new wine into the empty bottles, without disturbing the sediment. Tying a couple layers of cheesecloth to the neck of the bottle and over the opening helps with this. Cap off the bottles, and refrigerate them. Discard the dregs from the fermenting jug, of course.

There you are, folks! Easy homemade wine. :) Perfect for the upcoming holidays!

Edited by jynxxxedangel

Poor Man's Cabbage Rolls

2 pounds ground beef

1 cup chopped onion

1 can Campbels tomato soup

1 can tomato sauce

3 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage, steamed

1 cup uncooked white rice

1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large skillet, brown beef. In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, steamed cabbage, rice and salt. Add meat and mix all together. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish, covered, and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

OMFG...Glumpkies RULE! :laugh: I never heard 'em called Poor Man's Cabbage Rolls before, nice.

My Uncle used to make them, they're totally badass.

OMFG...Glumpkies RULE! :laugh: I never heard 'em called Poor Man's Cabbage Rolls before, nice.

My Uncle used to make them, they're totally badass.

This receipt does sound really good for a hearty, simple last-minute supper..I have everything it calls for here, except for the cabbage and tomato sauce. I actually like drained stewed tomatoes in mine, as well. :sad: Looks like I'm going to the store.

My belly is growling, now. :drool

Edited by jynxxxedangel

acorn squash

cut in half remove seeds

put cut halfs down in huge glass baking dish

add 4 sticks cinnamon put a couple underneath

two tablespoons butter

fill half way with water, cover with lid

cook at 350 1 to 1 & 1/2 hour(s)

scoop out and serve with sugar and butter

best with ham and cornbread

yum

1 squash enough for 7 people

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's that soup receipt, Gimp.. ;)

**Turkey Avgolemono Soup**

8 cups flavourful turkey broth

Leftover turkey meat

3 eggs, separated

1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice

Juice from 1 large or 2 small lemons

Grated zest of 1/2 lemon

sea salt to taste

coarsely ground black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil; add the rice, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Add chopped leftover turkey to soup, and let simmer while preparing the avgolemono mixture.

In a large squeaky-clean bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. In another small bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice. Slowly add the lemon juice/yolk mixture to the egg whites. Now, whisk one cup of turkey broth into the mixture-- do not stop blending! The constant blending is the secret to prevent curdling of this delicious soup.

When the eggs and broth are well mixed, pour this mixture back into the remaining broth and rice in the saucepan, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow the soup to simmer gently, until it is thickened.

Stir well, and serve with extra fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Edited by jynxxxedangel

Pozole

...this is one of the most funnest (?) meals you can eat; kinda a cross between a soup and a salad.

4 pork hocks

1 large can whole tomatoes

1 large can hominy

3 medium/large onions, chopped

3 quarts water

salt (optional)

throw all of the above into a pot and cook covered 'til the hocks are done. remove from heat and remove hocks. when it's safe to do so, trim meat, fat & rind from hock bones. discard bones and fat, shred meat; you can also dice some of the rind and add to meat if you wish. skim fat from broth, return meat to pot and bring to a simmer.

That's it for the soup - now the fun part. shred lettuce and carrots, dice some radishes, avocados, cheese, cut lemon and lime wedges...basically, almost anything you would use in a salad. ladle soup into bowls and add garnishes in any combination you like.

:D

I'd been meaning to update w/new info, so here goes: Used the last pound (maybe 1-1/2 lbs) of holiday ham as a substitute for the pork hocks. Fucking killed. Seriously, I might make it that way from now on.

I'd been meaning to update w/new info, so here goes: Used the last pound (maybe 1-1/2 lbs) of holiday ham as a substitute for the pork hocks. Fucking killed. Seriously, I might make it that way from now on.

Throw the ham bone in there, too, if you save them!! That would make it teh even betterer awesomeness!! :drool

Before I begin, let me please state: I do NOT DO STOVE. Pest does stove in our house, very well might I add, while I check DGN. That's how dinner gets done. BUT...I do have to make my own breakfast, and so therefore have perfected that art, and the other day I made something awesome out of necessity.

It's not a huge fancy recipe, but basically, I had no cheese and wanted an omelette, yet also woke up wanting a bagel. Once I decided on the omelette and decided the bagel would wait for another morning, that's when I made the grim discovery that there was no American left, only cream cheese. NOW for anyone that knows anything, it is FACT that cream cheese rules harder than most other food groups...SO, basically I put cream cheese, mushroom, onion and garlic in this very special omelette. Let me tell you...I ate that thing and got wet.

Try it. You will want to give me all of your money and everything you own after you're done. (My PayPal acct is: Trenchcoatj@hotmail.com)

Edited by Chernobyl

Flavored salt

Buy large grain sea salt

gather together anything you want this salt to taste like (this means anything including tea, fruit, flowers, i like lavender) keep added flavors to a minimum

dry out anything that needs it

put salt and the other shit into a coffee grinder and go nuts

Popular flavors:

Matcha Salt

Tangerine Salt

Lavender Salt

Smoked Paprika Salt

Kaffir Lime Salt

This shit can really add to any dish. It helps keep people from adding way too much flavor. It also makes for a most excellent steak rub.

Also the specialty of my house:

Go out to the country and pick a cow, yes, pick a cow and have the farmer send it to the butcher

Next, pick you favorite cuts and have them sell the rest

After you have your cuts inject garlic into the meat and then use flavored salt rubs on it three times each piece

Now you need to get some huge chunks of hickory and natural charcoal

Light the fire way ahead of time because this stuff is a bitch to keep even heat with

Keep the flame at LEAST eight inches from the meat, well done doesn't mean burnt!

Now, you need to flip the steaks every 20 min, yeah its a bitch but it is needed

If you want to brush oil on the meat to keep it moist and to prevent the meat from burning

Depending on the thickness of the meat cooking time varies so the first few time you are gonna have to cut to the middle to see if its done but being USDA a little pink means nothing really

Now enjoy but NO STEAK SAUCE!!! It ruins the flavors and is just a coverup for shitty steaks that were grilled with nasty charcoal and dried over the fire to become huge chunks of beef jerky

I absolutely love smoked fleur de sel!!!!!! It's a staple at my house, as a finishing salt. I make a large batch every summer-- at the same time, I make summer sausage from the previous fall's deer burger. :) I usually use hickory or ash for the smoke.