• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold Me car when it reached $3/gal.....

I get along just fine w/o a car.....I refuse to line some douche bags pockets with more $$.....

I understand allot of people can not do that because our public transportation system is a bit jacked.....

You would be surprised how much you don't need your car, it takes more time to do things, but it is worth it.....

I can clearly remember gas being like $1.50 a gallon and thinking "man prices have gone up fast" lol.

Ha I rember when it was 1.50 per gallon and me dad bitching for an hour straight about how expensive it has gotten along with everyone else...I WISH it would go back to 1.50 it'd save me a LOT of loot.

we got gas the other day... $4.08/gal!!!! and w/ needing a fuel pump, us going to Trixi's it cost us $30 for round trip (the lady we picked the cats up from was only 3 miles away, so we met some friends there, before we had to go get them)

INSANE!

this is why we hardly go out. this is also why you don't hardly see me at CC. :sad:

so yeah. :)

I heard a few little tips on conserving gas.

1. Never let your tank go below half. When the tank is only half full, more of the gas evaporates.

2. Fill up your tank in the morning when it is the coolest. Gas is more dense when it's cool.

3. Drive slower.

4. Use your cruise control - it will keep you from making suden starts and stops.

and the best tip to conserve on gas:

ride a horse.

1. You car has something called an "Evaporative Control System"

Don't worry about your gas evaporating away. It's not going to happen.

2. Not enough to make any difference that would not take a lab to measure.

The gas your putting in your tank is stored below ground. It's no where near the temperature of the air your walking around in. Nor does the Sun's warming affect ever touch it. Gasoline is also highly efficient in dissipating heat.

Your next two tips are spot on.

To directly address the topic of the thread...

If we really want to lower the price of Gasoline we have a few options that nobody wants to to.

1. Start drilling our own oil. We have enough untapped oil to take us completely off our dependence on oil from other sources.

2. Take oil off the Futures market. Your paying 4+ dollars per gallon because traders are pricing crude oil based on projected supply and demand from 7 years in our future.

my current ride:

product-6599225.jpg

Peugeot Partner Combi Quicksilver Ltd Ed.

60 Litre Tank, thats 15.85 US gallons

Fuel is £1.29 per litre,

which equates to £77.40

or $153.19

most of that is duty and VAT (Value Added Tax), now I'm sure duty is tax, so why the heck are we taxed so heavy? twice!

i know the wholesale price of gas has risen, but does the government need the big hike in thier earnings... no they can do without if they cut waste and cut down on their expense accounts (in a lot of cases their over their salary, and for things like second homes and childcare which the rest of the country is being told to foot the bills yourself)

I sold Me car when it reached $3/gal.....

I get along just fine w/o a car.....I refuse to line some douche bags pockets with more $$.....

I understand allot of people can not do that because our public transportation system is a bit jacked.....

You would be surprised how much you don't need your car, it takes more time to do things, but it is worth it.....

You ma'am, are correct.

Looks like I'll see you on the bus, you know, with the other cool and non-lazy kids :dj::tongue:

The only time I have an excuse for my car is on weekends because there's no bus I can take to work (I work in Satan's Land, i.e. above Hall Rd, home of Paris Hilton clones) on Saturday or Sunday.

Edited by Chernobyl

Now, as a delivery person, I drive for a job. I know, right? However, what I drive, a 50... er, 49.5 cubic centimeter Kymco Agility 50, priced to sell at $1,797 two years ago, costs me 5.7 cents a mile at four dollars a gallon to ride.

Now, Chernobyl's 36 mile to the gallon ride, (The EPA is padding that number, believe me) costs 11.1 cents a mile on the highway. Remember, this is at four dollars a gallon.

Now, the cruising speed of my Kymco is 45 miles an hour or so. Cher can go seventy miles an hour or more. For the privilege of driving with maniacs on the highway, she pays twice as much as me to ride. Twice as much, being charitable, mind you.

So, It would take me three hours to get from my home to Michigan and Washington street in Detroit, and cost me three dollars and 32 cents, round trip.

It would cost Cher $7.90 from my house and back, and would take an hour and 22 minutes, round trip.

Now, I never go to Michigan and Washington, but I paid $1,797 for my ride. I can go any where I want. It will take me longer, but... I LIKE my ride.

Now, assuming I get around to putting my motor endorsement on my license, I can get a used 650 cc for about $1,750, and get around sixty miles to the gallon. I still won't go on the highways if I can avoid it.

Your next two tips are spot on.

I'm disappointed that you did not address the accuracy of my riding a horse tip. I think that was the best one.

To directly address the topic of the thread...

If we really want to lower the price of Gasoline we have a few options that nobody wants to to.

1. Start drilling our own oil. We have enough untapped oil to take us completely off our dependence on oil from other sources.

2. Take oil off the Futures market. Your paying 4+ dollars per gallon because traders are pricing crude oil based on projected supply and demand from 7 years in our future.

Ah, oil and futures. I cannot tell you how many conversations I have had with my dear friend Mr. Economist (though we call him Cha-Cha) over how those damn speculators keep driving up the price of gas. Sons of bitches. For real.

They trash the housing market.

They trash the oil market.

Sons. Of. Bitches.

More things to consider.

1. Keep your tires inflated properly. Maybe even a pound or two high.

2. Take all the junk out of your car. Weight costs you mileage in city driving because you have to accelerate more mass.

3. Take all the crap off the outside of your car. At highways speeds (60+) aerodynamics play a big role in fuel economy. More drag = less mileage. Consider too that air flowing into and out of the car causes drag. Minimize air coming in (Low fan settings, use recirculating air setting instead of fresh.) and maximize it's ability to get out. (Open vent windows - experiment with side/rear windows to see what works best.) You could take the aerodynamic thing a step further and minimize air going under the car or into the engine compartment. Fabricate an air dam that's maybe only a few inches above the road. Make sure it's flexible enough at the bottom to deal with the occasional scrape-age. You can also experiment with blocking grill openings. Monitor engine temp to make sure you don't do too much. This works better in the winter.