Store(s) You Remember From Your Youth That Are No Longer In Business

Miranda

I actually miss Jacobson's. I didn't shop there, but I remember it being a really upscale store and I was in awe of it as a kid.

Why don't we have Friendly's in Michigan anymore? They have them in rural New York and Ohio. I want a peanutty sundae and a hot dog served on grilled Texas toast.

No one else probably remembers my favorite two fast food restaurants as a child: Burger Chef (the originator of the kids' meal) and Taco Grande (which predated Taco Bell and was BETTER, more like El Charro, if you've ever been there).

Edit: I guess a few of you DO remember Burger Chef!

My mom used to always shop at Chattam's grocery. She'd pass by a Farmer Jack and Kroger to get there. We'd buy the gallon tub of Velvet peanut butter and I would sneak grapes and green beans from the produce section. Mom used to come in with sheets and sheets of savings stamps she could trade in for household items. Pretty much all the grocery chains had similar schemes.

A&P grocery stores are still going in some parts of the country, I think, but not here. It's also rare to find an IGA.

F&M, Perry and Arbor drug stores used to be regular stops.

Pace before it became Sam's Club: the original warehouse wholesaler. I don't miss it that much. Costco is awesome.

I remember when Sears was an essential store before Meijer and Target and Walmart usurped most of their customers. Yeah, Sears is still around, but in a much lamer incarnation.

And now, I will miss Borders; it's affiliates--not so much.

Edit to add: I really miss Monty's, Trixie's, Roadrunner Inn (wasn't that the name? that's where I was heading in my profile pic), and Bittersweet. Even moreso now that Blair and Sean are both gone (Simon Bar Sinister knows who I mean).

Edited by taysteewonderbunny

• 1 year later...

The stores I remember and miss are:

Atlantic Mills

Kings Way

Woolworth's

S.S. Kresge's

Kenny's Shoes

Pic Way Shoes

A&P

Pete Scott's Farms

Show Biz Pizza

Speed Way Corner Store

Musicland

Suncoast

Market East

Jack 'n the Box

The Sears Roebucks Outlet on Mack and Moross

and most definitely Farmer Jack's and Perry's Drugs

Edited by TronRP

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...

That i actually MISS ? I mean yeah I mildly miss say Kresge. But not really 'the place" its the memories.   Just another corporation out for your money at any cost. 

Hudson's Department Store in downtown Detroit <--- a landmark  for generations.

Cobb Phramacy  <-  Last old fashion soda fountain drug store in the lower peninsula.  It was always SPOTLESS inside.  They took the time to make it look "pretty" too. Unlike say 7 / 11 or some such that is "functional".   Couldn't find a link.  

Carl's Chop House  -  The oldest steakhouse in Detroit. Old fashion red velvet & wood grain interior "1950s rich" style.  Built in a nice area originally slowly like many plaecs declined until it was mostly surrounded by fear.  Car's managed to survive for a generation after the surrounding neighborhood was in decline. 

The sort of place were there are no prices on the menu, valet parking required.  Partly due to the security fence they had to put up around the place and the very tight parking.  They actually DID NOT want to put up a security fence as it made the place look less appealing but insurance required it.  My old boss used to take me to this place regularly and he was friendly with the staff and asked about the history of the place. 

Closed in 2008.  After a lukewarm effort to save the place it was DEMOLISHED in 2010. 

orig_b9c68ed3-ad90-46e2-a3cf-dd0384fa234d.jpg

1.jpg

QUO VADIS movie theater-   
The last old-style movie theater anywhere around here (Wayne / Wetland)  It assumed culture over the masses.  Had an art gallery,  really neat double-bar area and "The 21 club" inside.   

This is where I saw the majority of movies until late high school. 

The Mai Kai  Theater -  Even better.  Large theater for the times also was a stage performance venue  Saw George Burns  there before he died.   Waited in line for 3 hours to see Return of the Jedi when I wasn't even old enough to buy lube.   Good times. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...