Wow. Not so much about what happened, just the cost itself. 1.2 BILLION. Fucking billion. No wait lemme say it again.... 1.2 BILLION for 1 plane. Granted they are amazing pieces of work, but damn... BILLION 1.2 BILLION. Odd since in the "conspiracy theory" time period like 15(?) years ago or some such before these things were out-of-the-closet so to speak i used to read up on them fairly extensively, must have missed the pricetag part of the discussions.

God damn that's expensive for a single (fairly small) object.... and there's 21 of them according to that article.

BILLION. Holy crap that's a staggering number.

Hell thought that a billion for the Webb Space Telescope was a lot. In the context of 21 , 1.2 billion planes.... Lets build two. (The next generation of the Hubble due in 2013 ish)

Well... these planes can cover the entire earth with just one refueling, and are pretty much invulnerable to any anti aircraft rig, so 1.2 billion for that kind of capability is not so bad.

Amortized over a fifty year operating lifespan, that's 66,000 dollars a day for the base cost. Not that bad, really.

Of course, a B-52 costs 54 million dollars, and they are expected to be in service well into the 2040s. That's a ninety year amortization, or 1,643 dollars a day for the base cost. The B-52 is by far more affordable.

True most all the major military "production" hardware lasts a long-ass time typically. Although they aren't free to keep up (they are very expensive due to always having to keep them in tip-top shape) theres a ton of maintenance cost as well, which is probably equally staggering.

I'm not saying they aren't "worth" it.

Just the sticker shock is what hit me. I think a lot of people don't even quite grasp how large a million dollars is, but 1.2 billion for a single "object"... is staggering.

Archived