Is It Dead?

You know, I still consider myself to be a somewhat optimistic person when it comes to threads like these, but after reading what Ive read so far, it kind of makes me wanna be single for an even longer then long time.

I will always have a bit of chivalry in me.

However it seems like some women these days, are either insulted by it, or it just plain bores them.

Why does there have to be so much ridiculous complication ??

If we try to do nice things like door opening, etc, some women get offended and think we think they're invalids, and some, if we Don't do it, they think we're uncaring assholes.

We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't, it seems.

(I read what Nienna said, and I say hey, given my experience, I could say the exact same thing about women. However, I don't believe in damning the whole female species for the sins of one or two or three)

One thing that really bugs me, though, is when guys try to be chivalrous toward me with all the above mentioned gestures, but won't stand up to their male friends when said friends are making sexist or masochistic remarks. I don't care how many damn doors you open for me if you can't tell your buddy his "All women should stay in the kitchen" comment is out of line.

then he was not real....and it was time for you to move on.....

this would have been a ncie inclusion int o the "what makes a GOOD man" category.

What kind of a man doesn't know how to change a tire? I was at work today and I got a flat tire. I commenced changing it myself, got all the lug nuts loose, and was about to use my jack to lift up the car, and my jack didn't work. It had been locked up due to all the use it got when my ex always got flat tires, and locked his old ones up, so we used mine for a while.

So, I didn't ask for any of the guys in the office to change the tire, I just asked them if I could borrow their jack on their big ass Dodge trucks or Ford F150's. I like how guys think that just because you're a girl, you should go inside out of the rain for them to change the tire for you. I was like "I know how to change my tire, my jack just doesn't work". They proceeded to push me out of the way and start jacking up my car with their cheep-ass tire iron.

I told the guy, you're putting the jack in the wrong place, you're not supposed to put it there. He did it anyway, and ended up bending the frame of my car. I rolled my eyes. He was like, this thing isn't big enough to lift your car high enough to change the tire, we're going to go get a piece of wood to lift it up. So they went off into the warehouse to get a ridiculously warped 4x4. I looked at it, and said, you're going to kill yourself with that. It's basic physics, the base is too narrow for the tire iron and the 4x4 to get a good footing. The jack is going to slip off the 4x4 and the car is going to fall on you. I think this was about the time the other guy chimed in and said "You should really get in out of this rain, or get a hat or something". I was already soaking wet, and a hat would have been pointless by this point. Besides, I was convinced that it would take much longer if I let these two brainiacs work on my car without me.

He said "this jack isn't going to work on your car, it's just not tall enough"

I told him "If you put it on the correct part of the car, you will be able to jack the car up high enough so that it will work". He proceeded to disagree with me, and so I said "Do you want to bet money I can jack this car up with your jack, in the correct spot so that it will a.) not tip over and b.) get high enough so that we can change that tire?

He let me at it, thinking the whole time I was wrong (shaking his head and probably wishing I would have gone inside). I placed the jack in the correct location (by the way, the instructions TELL you to put said jack in said place, and specifically NOT where the guy put it in the first place, but I didn't mention this specific to him, he wasn't seeing reason at that time). Guess what, the jack lifted up the car, and we were able to get the tire off. Amazing!

Sometimes Chivalry should be dead, because had they just let me jack the car up by myself, and just lent me their jack, I could have shaved 30 minutes of them himming and hawing about the freaking tire, and made it to Discount Tire before they closed. As it were, I missed my window of opportunity, and I have to go tomorrow morning.

On a side note: Had I not stayed outside, they would have probably injured themselves by using that 4x4, it almost tipped on its own, just by them wiggling the tire off the car.

Remind me to shoot the person who created this space saving tire. It sux!!!

So, when a girl says she can change her own tire, listen to her, she probably knows what part of the car to put the jack on. Luckily they didn't hurt my car too much, but it's just nice to be heard.

OH! By the way, I did this in a dress and heels. :p

What kind of a man doesn't know how to change a tire? I was at work today and I got a flat tire. I commenced changing it myself, got all the lug nuts loose, and was about to use my jack to lift up the car, and my jack didn't work. It had been locked up due to all the use it got when my ex always got flat tires, and locked his old ones up, so we used mine for a while.

So, I didn't ask for any of the guys in the office to change the tire, I just asked them if I could borrow their jack on their big ass Dodge trucks or Ford F150's. I like how guys think that just because you're a girl, you should go inside out of the rain for them to change the tire for you. I was like "I know how to change my tire, my jack just doesn't work". They proceeded to push me out of the way and start jacking up my car with their cheep-ass tire iron.

I told the guy, you're putting the jack in the wrong place, you're not supposed to put it there. He did it anyway, and ended up bending the frame of my car. I rolled my eyes. He was like, this thing isn't big enough to lift your car high enough to change the tire, we're going to go get a piece of wood to lift it up. So they went off into the warehouse to get a ridiculously warped 4x4. I looked at it, and said, you're going to kill yourself with that. It's basic physics, the base is too narrow for the tire iron and the 4x4 to get a good footing. The jack is going to slip off the 4x4 and the car is going to fall on you. I think this was about the time the other guy chimed in and said "You should really get in out of this rain, or get a hat or something". I was already soaking wet, and a hat would have been pointless by this point. Besides, I was convinced that it would take much longer if I let these two brainiacs work on my car without me.

I told him "If you put it on the correct part of the car, you will be able to jack the car up high enough so that it will work". He proceeded to disagree with me, and so I said "Do you want to bet money I can jack this car up with your jack, in the correct spot so that it will a.) not tip over and b.) get high enough so that we can change that tire?

He let me at it, thinking the whole time I was wrong (shaking his head and probably wishing I would have gone inside). I placed the jack in the correct location (by the way, the instructions TELL you to put said jack in said place, and specifically NOT where the guy put it in the first place, but I didn't mention this specific to him, he wasn't seeing reason at that time). Guess what, the jack lifted up the car, and we were able to get the tire off. Amazing!

Sometimes Chivalry should be dead, because had they just let me jack the car up by myself, and just lent me their jack, I could have shaved 30 minutes of them himming and hawing about the freaking tire, and made it to Discount Tire before they closed. As it were, I missed my window of opportunity, and I have to go tomorrow morning.

On a side note: Had I not stayed outside, they would have probably injured themselves by using that 4x4, it almost tipped on its own, just by them wiggling the tire off the car.

So, when a girl says she can change her own tire, listen to her, she probably knows what part of the car to put the jack on. Luckily they didn't hurt my car too much, but it's just nice to be heard.

You go girl.

My daughters will know how to change a tire and oil before they learn how to drive a car. :-)

Girl, that aint chivalry - thats pride and dumb ass ness...THATS what should be dead.

No its not dead. Overall people (not just men) are less considerate......in a hurry......rude......whatever.

But no its not dead. Every once in awhile I find this to be true.

Like when someone hold your hair when you are sick........

Carries you up the stairs or to bed

Asks if your ok when your car breaks down........

Drives you to the airport.......holds the door open for you.

It still happens, just not as often.

I know more about cars than my man.......and am usually the one to do something about a repair (like take it in lol)

But that doesn't mean he doesn't make up for it in other areas.....it balances out.

(I got a jack stuck under a car once lol)

Seems like this guy wanted to impress you cause he liked what he saw.....he just failed at it miserably cause he was prob to embarressed to admit he didn't know what he was doing to late in the situation.

I think chivalrous gestures are nice to a point. I dated a guy who was so into chivalry that he would slap my hand away if I tried to open a door(including the car door) for myself, and never once, on the 5 dates we went on let me pay for anything, including an 89 cent bottle of water. That was annoying, and a little patronizing, to me.

From most guys, I will graciously except chivalrous gestures, thought they are not expected. I can open my own door, carry my own bag, pay for my own dinner, etc, but it's nice if he offers. If I am struggling and he offers to help me, I wouldn't call that chivalry, I'd call it courtesy, and if he is struggling and I can help him in a way that he wouldn't consider offensive and emasculating, I will.

One thing that really bugs me, though, is when guys try to be chivalrous toward me with all the above mentioned gestures, but won't stand up to their male friends when said friends are making sexist or masochistic remarks. I don't care how many damn doors you open for me if you can't tell your buddy his "All women should stay in the kitchen" comment is out of line.

i offer first, if the lady protests, i make sure, and let her do it. otherwise, you are quite correct, it is patronising, your an adult not a child after all, and no one has the right to stop you doing things

thats to bad, not all of us are like that. I'm not sure what kinda guys you've delt with but there are some good ones still out there.

true, but you got to get us young before we become bitter, cynical, paranoid or all the above :D :biggrin: occasionally all these traits of me i bury deep come to surface now and then on a bad day, were only human after all

oddly enough, changing the tyre, checking the fluid levels etc is all part of the driving exam over here, along with theory, practical, hazard awareness, and thier on about an IQ test now for over 70's once every 5 years

That's what I thought too. But I think, in their mind, they were being thoughtful, sweet, and chivalrous. Predaking asked what was creepy, that's way creepy!

everyone needs thier personal space, people are often given the tag creepy if they encroach on that. i've been studying two work colegues for about 2 years now, both equally flirtacious with womewn, just one is badly out of shape, and encroaches on thier space, the other, not a good looking chap, but fit and passible, applies the charm in passing, the former is affectionatly known as "Perv" by the women of the office, the later gets on well with those who havent noticed what i have (which is not a lot)

funny that.

No its not dead. Overall people (not just men) are less considerate......in a hurry......rude......whatever.

But no its not dead. Every once in awhile I find this to be true.

Like when someone hold your hair when you are sick........

Carries you up the stairs or to bed

Asks if your ok when your car breaks down........

Drives you to the airport.......holds the door open for you.

It still happens, just not as often.

see, i call that basic and essential manners. its a shame that we live in a society with disposable manners and culture.

and people wonder why i tend to like things from the past when this was drummed into everyone.

I wish that the whole world had only revolving doors if only to end silly conversations about who should open the damn door.

And I don't know what kind of people you all hang out with, but my boys, they're really nice boys. They're not doormats, and they're not assholes either. They do nice things. Because they're nice boys, and that's what they do. I don't know that they put much thought behind it, it's just what they do.

This reminds me of when one of my friends was explaining to me how easy it is to change an alternator after one of our other friends' blew hers and she called AAA. He was like "she should have just called me. I could have gone and gotten one and fixed it that day instead of her getting it towed and blah blah blah. It's so easy to change, you just..." which is when I interrupted him with "YES, dear, I know. I KNOW how to change an alternator. Hell, I know how to change tires, oil, air filters, and brakes!"

To which he responded "I didn't know women knew how to do any of those things!"

If I could have, I would have reached through the phone and choked him.

As for chivalry. The only men who are chivalrous towards me are gay... I don't get it!

oddly enough, changing the tyre, checking the fluid levels etc is all part of the driving exam over here, along with theory, practical, hazard awareness, and thier on about an IQ test now for over 70's once every 5 years

LOL, do you have any idea how many people would be refused renewals if they instituted that over here?

I'm actually a HUGE fan of the idea, even if it took my own dad off the road. I haven't felt safe as a passenger in a vehicle with him driving for about 5 years now.

Back on topic...

I try to be a shining example. Don't always pick up on opportunities right away, but I can tell you that chivalry isn't dead.

Although I HAVE noticed it partially depends on how old-fashioned one's parents were.

Personally, I always felt that chivalry was a bit of an oxy moron as to where it pertains in the modern world. I myself, am a gentleman in my own way (I open car doors, pull out chairs, hold other chairs, help put on coats etc.). I don't know. That's just the way I've always treated women.

I really don't feel that I treat my male friends or male strangers that differently though. I'm the kind of guy that will grab the door for anyone, and I don't see that as a big problem. I stop for a guy or a girl broken down on the side of the road, and am currently housing a good friend of mine much to my dissatisfaction.

What is so wrong with this world, that I loathe feeling like I'm being taken advantage of again, and what is so wrong that I have to miscarry helping other people on the offense of those that came before. Everyday I wake up the world is 3 shades uglier than it was the day before. There is nothing I can do about this. It's something that's been nagging at me since I was ten years old and realized that people are shit.

I never knew the full extent of this shitiness would manifest itself by the tunnel full either. Every day I am surprised that I am surprised by how much people can and do really suck. I can't believe the shit we let other people do to us. I cant believe the rights we so freely surrender. I can't believe that we are so weak as a nation that we will continue to vote bi-partisan despite the failures of both parties, and the American Government as a whole to uphold the very Constitution that establishes, preserves, and protects our rights as citizens of this great nation.

Everyone is so sick of the process, and the paperwork and the bullshit, that they just give up and find ways to distract themselves. Instead of protesting that no laws established to punish for crimes offensive to no one else in a violent or threatening way are punishable by the same terms as a rapist, thief, or murderer. Yet a cop violates my freedom of speech 2 weeks ago in the city of Riverview, harasses me, harasses my friend, and gives him a ticket for no good reason. That's some straight up Nazi shit, and you people live in a Nazi wolrd. I just don't think anyone gives a fuck anymore. I'm so fucking pissed that my Constitutional rights were violated, but no one fucking cares, because we are victims every day.

The largest say in this country seems to be from conservative voters. But these conservative fucks fail to see that we're running our country into the ground while they're praying for Jesus to save us from this madness. Our children are more evil every day and so are we. I feel bad every fucking time I talk about someone behind their back (have no problems with being a dick to your face though), because they are not there to defend themselves, and their life is really none of my fucking business, but I hear shit that entices me to get sucked into these antics like I'm joining a demonizing festival.

So back to chivalry.

I don't give two flying fucks what God you believe in. If you're a piece of shit on this planet, you'll be a piece of shit in the next life too. I'm sure of at least this much. Good luck in the sewers.

I hope it's still alive and well. (and this comes from a strong woman)

It's nice to feel feminine, respected, treated well. Not saying that you need this to do so, but it's a nice courtesy.

Just like flowers, showing appreciation and thoughtfulness for someone.

And I'm speaking of relationships. It comes down to personal preference.

It makes things weird in the workworld. Kindof like 'cake and eat it too' mentality -- you want to compete, be treated as an equal. Yet if someone demonstrates chivalry, then who is the weak one? The giver or receiver of chivalrous behavior.

I chuckle when this happens: if I decide to dress especially nice for work, boy how the doors get opened for me, my how much friendlier my male counterparts are! (especially if I wear skirts or heels) Too funny.

I like chivalry. Some can go overboard with it, but having it be non-existent sucks too.

My aunt was walking into the mall one time and these teenagers were walking in front of her and pratically closed the door right in her face. Mind you, she was with two children, one in a stroller, and she was carrying a bunch of shopping bags. She told them how she felt about that.

I dont know if you would call that chivalry or not because they obviously werent on a date or anything, but you dont have to be dating or be married to someone for them to treat you with respect and be courteous.

As a women where would you draw the line between chivalry and creepy?

what she wants

Not exactly what I would call chivalry, but definitely creepy:

I was friends with this guy in college who I knew had a bit of a crush on me. One night I was hanging out with him and I noticed a stray hair on the shoulder of my blouse and picked it off and was about to throw it away. He asked me what it was, and I told him it was one of my hairs. He asked if he could keep it. I made a face and asked why. He said to remind him of me when I wasn't around. I was like, "Eww, no!"

A friend thought that was romantic in a Lord of the Rings sense, but I say just plain creepy.

Archived