Dgn Night @ City Club, Sat. Nov 25th

DGN @ City Club, Saturday, Nov 25th

Come. Join us. Meet us. Hang out. We're not that scary in person, really.

Leland City Club

400 Bagley Street

Downtown Detroit

You enter by going through an unmarked door on the First Street side of the Ramada Hotel building, located at 400 Bagley Street in downtown Detroit. The club is at the top of the stairwell. (see picture in the link above in the DGN calendar entry)

All are welcome. Come meet some of us weirdos.

Saturday nights from 10:00 p.m. to 4:30 a.m.

Alcoholic drinks until 2:00 a.m., pop and juices served all night.

Admission is $4

18 and up, 21 to drink with proper ID (no exceptions).

No drugs, weapons, chains, spikes or cell phones.

Zoomable map to City Club.

MDOT lane closures

(The map isn't quite exact. The Ramada is located within the Bagley, 1st, Cass, Plaza Dr. block.)

Note: This thread is about who is going to CITY CLUB ON SATURDAY, if you want talk about some other club,going to LCC on some other night,some other place or some other subject? Make a new thread, don't post about it in this one.

Wish I could go but I may be working security for an all ages concert that my niece is going to. The owner may want my help.

Im debating. I miss being there, but then again, no one to talk to, too shy to talk to anyone.

If you ever go when I am going, you can sit by me and not have to talk. I won't mind.

i liked it so much i just might have to make the 3 and 1/2 hour drive back over to detriot for a vist to CC plus i so very much loved all the people i meet but same with me if i do go it will be a last min thing i'll wake up early saturday morning and just get in the car and start driven twords detroit and Cateyes house

if not please have a rocken dance your a$$ off night

be well

Zoey

I've never been to the City Club. Anyone care to share what its like? Just joined the group kind of looking to meet some new people.

I'm completely shy which doesn't help and really, just kind of remember some of the people I use to hang out with during high school and honestly, it was the 'gothic' types, the so called 'weirdos' who were actually the most down to earth and real people I'd ever met.

I've never been to the City Club. Anyone care to share what its like? Just joined the group kind of looking to meet some new people.

I'm completely shy which doesn't help and really, just kind of remember some of the people I use to hang out with during high school and honestly, it was the 'gothic' types, the so called 'weirdos' who were actually the most down to earth and real people I'd ever met.

I'll share what its like. I been going there for 16yrs. It used to be like a punk rock bar people with mohawks skinheads etc. I used to have my head shaved and played in a punk rock band. Me and my guitar player used to go. The bar itself is very dark bad lighting. The dance floor is rather large with lot of people packed in there. Theres about an equal amount of guys and girls there. Girls are dressed skimpy some wear no shirt and put tape on their nipples. The owners name is mike hes a good guy hes straight gay. There are gay and bi girls and guys there too. No one really hits on you if their gay so if u have a phobia against those types of people theyre very discreet. Like my friend mark that goes there hes tall has a shaved head and is straight gay but cool. He never hits on me or any shit like that. Its usually pretty easy to find a girl there to dance with at least for me it is. Some of the bouncer staff comes here on dgn like darkracer(Chris) hes cool hes a black guy tall and heavyset stocky not fat. Crystal, my favorite bouncer, used to come on here too. There is a small drug scene there if u know the right people u can get excasty and heroin if ur into that. I like vicodin and give it to my friends there when I have extra and to girls.

Edited by Dollardave

CC is what you make it.

It's a good scene - generally accepting of all types. Gay, straight, bi, goth, rivethead, punk, etc. Emo's (which I still can't quite identify myself) are kinda looked down upon, as are more straightforward collegiate types wearing sports-themed clothing or preppy-wear. But there's generally not a lot of that seen there, and it's not like they start fights, but you can often get a feeling of being "zoo animals on parade" for them if you're into more eccentric styles.

But serious, harmful bullshit is absolutely not tolerated - if staff knows of it. You can't bring in chains (like chain wallets), weapons of any kind, cell phones (pagers are allowed), and you can't wear spikes.

The music played is heavy on the EBM these days, with the occasional smattering of what people consider classic or "true" goth. Also industrial, and some techno. The DJ's are good, and tend to guage what to play by what's going on on the dancefloor.

There are three primary sections of the club. Past the bar area is a section with tables & chairs that is good for conversation - immediately to the right of the bar is where DGN people generally meet and greet.

Further into the club is a midsection people often refer to as "purgatory". Music is a bit louder there, but you can hear it and still have conversation.

The ballroom is very large. Generally there's plenty of room to dance, except on exceptionally busy nights, or if there are a lot of tourists, who seem to like to stand around on the dancefloor, drink beer, talk and gawk, and not dance.

Opinions of the sound system are generally low. But in my opinion, it's better than sitting at home by yourself.

Drinks are expensive. Absurdly so - around $8.00 and up for top-shelf mixed drinks. But it's only $4.00 to get in. For parking, you can try to get there early enough to get into the safer, $3.00 lot right next to the building, but the scene itself doesn't really rev-up until after midnight. Street parking isn't advised, as you're a prime candidate for being broken into. Opinions vary on whether parking in the $5.00 lots behind the club is safe or not, and whether safety depends on how much you tip the lot attendants.

Basically, go with an open mind. If you're the least homophobic, get over yourself - learn how to take come-ons from the same-sex as highly flattering, not some threat to your straighthood. Not that that really happens that often, I think that happens more between people who know each other than total strangers.

And just because people don't seem friendly, remember, the club is rife with people who generally don't "fit in" in your average sports bar or top-40 club. What you might see as snobby might just be shyness or caution. But if you try the DGN area first, you'll find a more accepting, friendly crowd to start out with. Just don't be too shy to introduce yourself.