Do you like R+B ?

Black Sunday

I will stand with you..........

I tend to like all music genres, there is allways some song or artist in each genre that i like, when it comes to music i like to think my tastes are well rounded even if my knowledge of new artists or music is not.

I do have to say i am not that fond of country but there is a few songs i like, alot arer older like um well the devil went down to gorgea...... lol i grew up with that stuff and well you devlope a tatse for it i suppose.

I used to work at an R&B/Booty/Meat Market type club. I worked there for a year and did everything from cleaning to waitressing to bouncing. I hated every minute of it. The music means I remember that period of my life. My times with the other staff were great, the customers.... *shudder*. So the jury is out... but I never seek it out on my own.

Beats, 4 on the floor time signature, song structure (Verse, Chorus, Verse) speed. The main differences that I hear are in subject matter, and key signature. Skinny Puppy for example, Ogre more or less "raps" a lot of the songs. And Covenant, for example, is essentualy dance hall music in a minor chord structure.

Not saying this is a bad, just somewhat alike

i'm picking up what phee is putting down. i tend to hear cross over things like that in songs and for that reason can't classify music to what "group" it actually might belong to.

except for the very obvious rap, pop, industrial, country, etc.

and i am with you black sunday. i like r & b. but i like a whole lot of stuff.

It's amazing how alike EBM/Synthpop/Industrial resembles HipHop/Rap/R&B. And how little either subculter seems to ever want to admit it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny you say that. I realized one night while working at the bar that if I slowed "goth"dancing down alot, (or at least my version of goth dancing) You had booty dancing!

Growing up in Detroit in the 70's/80's with WJLB on the dial, I can't help but like R&B - but I don't like the modern stuff for the most part - can't stand Usher, etc. I'm so sick of the overuse of melisma runs, I could puke - and thought I like some of Beyonce's stuff, she's one of the worst abusers in music today.

No, I prefer 70's funk actually - Earth, Wind & Fire, Dazz Band, Spinners, Gap Band, etc. Oh, and can't beat Stevie at his funkiest.

I agree to an extent that some ebm/synthpop/ect. sounds like rap/r&b/etc. the major difference is how I feel after listening. When it comes to rap/r&b I get naturally extremely agitated, the vibes in that shyt is just bad. I feel a hell of a lot better with ebm/synthpop/goth/industrial.

I tend to think that R & B has some of the sexiest lyrics around...it is the best music to make love to...I'm not sure I understand the agitation or the "bad vibes" thing when related to Al Green or Marvin Gaye. I can understand it when it comes from rap though...I just take rap as fun...nothing like a little Eaze E to lighten the mood...Gimme that, that, that nut...lol

It's amazing how alike EBM/Synthpop/Industrial resembles HipHop/Rap/R&B. And how little either subculter seems to ever want to admit it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is interesting.

You can put a R+B producer and a synthpop/industrial producer together and they can definately have alot of common ground to talk about as far as studio techniques and instrumentation practices.

I make synthpop and I have had some good talks with hip hop and r+b guys. I have more in common with them than classic rock guitarists, that's for sure.

And for those of you who don't like Usher - stop ya hatin'.

Honestly Confessions is a great album, lots of classic soul type songs as well as modern beats.

I like a lot of stuff im not allowed to admit in public. :cool :

Form a purely musical standpoint im amazed at the closedmindness of many people toward certain types of sounds. Theres a lot of good stuff your missing out on if you knee jerk away from whole segments of the musical spectrum on some cultural / emotional basis.

From a "sound" standpoint (trying to shy away from the "culture" of a certian type of music) i like just about everything in terms of the major genres. Yes, i mean pretty much >ALL:fear:

As quoted from my MySpace profile:

I tire of describing my musical interests. Why must people be so picky about what is good and what is not? Yes, I like it, every category. Do I care who wrote/produced/performed it? No. Do I even know who wrote/produced/performed most of it? No. Music is music, it is rhythm and emotion. It just feels good.

I've been through alot, and I used to like some R&B and old skool rap. But, listening to it now has a much higher attempt at upsetting me for my own reasons. Hence I don't listen to it. Gawd, rap now is so dang violently natured I wouldn't want to listen to it. I've always felt this way, its never really been in me to be into that. I'd actually much rather listen to country (not that I'm a huge fan), Swing/Big Band, Jazz, or most other things before that.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as Disturbed, I had a phase where I listened to R&B, and I still listen to some Rap but now, it just seems like repeatative BS. Every song sounds the same and it gets a little anoying.

I will admit, that the only real reason I listened to R&B was to get chicks(and I mean that in a polite way) :doh: and that was in Jounior High and High School. Looking back, I was such a damn sheep. :woot:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh....I remember back when the Necto was the Nectarine Ballroom and they were doing their "goth" night in the fall of 98 w/ DJ Quig, one of the guys I worked with came out to see why was I coming into work hung over once a week (only drank there, nowhere else).

He was a huge, HUGE R+B/hip hop kid and we sat down at one of the tables and compared scenes for a while. We both ended up walking away that night realizing that aside from the actual music, there was a lot of similarities between the two.

Of course Todd also appreciated that there were a lot of white woman running around in leather and fishnet, but really...who doesn't? >grin<

I love R & B and booty music.  I even like rap.  But then again I'm a stripper.  When they make goth music that says "shake that ass" with a great beat, I'm down...LMAO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I haven't found any music of this scene that says that per se, but I've found some hardcore that does.

Unfortunately its just covers done by hardcore bands.

Archived