An Idiots Fool Proof Cider Making 101

Vater Araignee

You might want to check out Under $10.00 fermentation device

1 gallon ( 128 0z) Motts apple juice. Don't refrigerate.

1/2 package dry activated yeast

1/2 small container cream of tarter

4 cups of white sugar

white sugar cubes

clean pop bottles

Now let me start off by saying "NON OF THIS IS NEGOTIABLE!!!" except the sugar cubes you will find out why later.

#1. Take one cup of room temperature apple juice add 1/2 packet of yeast. Cover and set aside. We will call this the pitch.

#2. Put the apple juice in a large pot and bring it to a boil.

#3. Add cream of tarter and 4 cups of sugar turn off heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

#4. Cover with a towel and allow to cool to room temperature.

#5. Add water to the basin of the air lock.

#6. Put the juice into the fermentation device then pitch in the pitch and put the lid back on.

#7. Place the device in a dark room or closet preferably one that wont get above 75° F.

#8. check on it the next day. See the bubbles? hear the air lock bubbling? YES!!! It's working.

#9. check on it every day for the next 7 days.

If it stops bubbling we may have a problem so this is what you do.

Taste it. Do you like how it tastes? If the answer is yes then filter it through coffee filters then bottle and chill for two days.

Once you have it chilled drink a bottle.

Now is it flat and your noticing the effects of alcohol? Congratulations you have apple wine. Also known as Hard Apple Cider.

Did you luck out and its carbonated? Yea you have sparkling apple wine. Also known as Hard Apple Cider.

#10. It is day 7 of fermentation and you have a choice

Choice one you can risk making your brew a wine or a sparkling wine by filtering it first but come on you pansy that's not what we want. What we want is...

Choice two you can say screw filtration and looks I want the taste of heavily carbonated Hard Apple Cider also known as Apple Beer.

Make your choice now.

#11. Put a sugar cube ( or an equivalent measure of granulated white sugar ) into each bottle and fill with the brew until you reach about 2 inches from the top of the bottle and cap tightly. Give a bottle a squeeze and note the give in it. Chill bottles.

DO NOT SHAKE TUMBLE OR OTHERWISE DISTURB IT TO DISSOLVE THE ADDED SUGAR JUST LAVE IT ALONE!!

Oh and go ahead drink the last few ounces it wont hurt you but you might want to filter it first.

#12. If you want super carbonation then at least three times a day give every bottle a good squeeze for about a minute other wise wait 2 day and give one a squeeze. is it harder then the first squeeze?

#13. Keep squeeze testing until those bottles are as hard as rocks or are not getting any harder then its done.

drink and enjoy.

I was thinking and I remembered I forgot to tell you that this cider recipe was developed by me to be cheep and give a basic formula to start out with.

This is why I don't want you to deviate from it.

When you are done making it you will be able to taste it and say "How can I tailor this to my taste buds?".

And that is where your questions will come in.

I also hope to instill the love of brewing in you so that I may teach you some cool stuff.

Like:

Types of sugars.

Types of yeast.

Clarification.

Filtration.

Oxygenation.

Anti-oxidization.

Archived