Can you raed this?

soothsayer

Read on if you can......

Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs rpsoet it

I hate this thing.

1) Spelling is too very important. If I didn't know how the words were spelled in the first place, then I'd be pretty clueless what was trying to be said. Also note that the misspelled words are using the letters that are in the word when it is spelled correctly.

2) It's not the 'world as a whole' that's being read, but the entire sentence, paragraph, and grammar (which is pretty good in this paragraph) that gives clues to the meaning of each word.

3) I'm not sure what is meant by 'not a problem' because I certainly didn't read that paragraph with my normal reading speed.

4) This is an interesting mind experiment, but it seems more like a lame excuse for poor writing skills. (Not directed at anybody! Just a general annoyance with the original purveyor of this tripe.)

</rant>

• 6 years later...