eye for an eye( scott petterson)

Just as with any other case like this, if you're not there in the courtroom hearing all the evidence, there's really no place to form a judgment.

You can, however, form an opinion based on personal feelings and what little the general public got from the media. So for myself, what I've felt is that he had SOMETHING to do with what happened to her, though I was more inclined to think he had someone either help him, or do it FOR him.

Knowing only what little I know, I'm somewhat of the opinion that he was hung based on pretty circumstantial evidence. No, I have no feelings nor like of the guy. But I also don't see where a public witch hunt or lynching was merited, as seems to have happened here.

But as I said, I wasn't in that courtroom. Perhaps the jury was shown something that made it pretty obvious he did it and deserved to die.

You just never know in cases like this. It's really only for the jury to say. The jury saw that that bloody glove didn't fit O.J., so like it or not, you have to trust them.

However, I still think someone should have seen if that glove fit his older son, Jason...

While I'm not a true fan of the death penalty, I sort of root for it when someone kills a child. I don't care if it's their child or someone elses. Even if he didn't get the death penalty, once he goes to spend his time in prison, he's probably going to get what he deserves while he waits. Most hardened criminals will hurt/kill a child murderer. God help him, because he's going to really need it.

I can't say I really wish the death penalty on anyone (though I may retract that statement when I'm on the highway). I wish he could be made to feel the pain that his wife went through, however.

What really disturbed me was seeing Laci's stepfather, who was holding up a newspaper showing the jury's recommendation of the death sentence and smiling. It makes me wonder exactly how advanced and cultured we really are.

I'm reminded of some words of Tolkien: "Deserves death? I daresay he does! Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

• 1 year later...

Archived