What We Do in the Shadows

So, I saw the movie a few years ago, and this year I binged the entire show.  How has absolutely no one on a FUCKING GOTH FORUM mentioned this yet?  (I know this because I did a forum search thinking I'd actually be late to the party.)  I was very happy to see something comical about vampires where they were able to just joke about it without being a complete fucking joke.  Here's the opening scene for the movie if you haven't seen it.

Both the cinematic movie and the television show are very fun, though the movie feels more serious in tone and feels more like an independent production.  The show however is just completely off the rails with high production values and an all-star cast (plus cameos from some other stars who've played famous vampires in other media.) Continuity isn't great (especially concerning previous established lore) but at least the vampires don't fucking sparkle I guess so it gets a pass.  Also some good dark humor which is kind of rare for anything broadacst TV.

Anyway I'm excited for season 6, but I also hear that will be the last season so it's kind of bittersweet.  I suppose it had to end sometime though.

1 minute ago, et-novum said:

I love the original movie but the show is leagues better. The internal consistency isn't great but it's better than you think, they just ignore things for the rule of humor. I'm partway through season five right now.

I appreciate both for what they are.  But a documentary crew hanging out for five seasons and being granted access to everything...  Never mind the fact that they can't cast a reflection, but are in tons of old photos from cameras that did use mirrors.  But as you said it's all in good fun and some of the plots are pretty good as well.

Also I need myself a fancy witch hat now to wear all the time unironically.

Just now, Scary Guy said:

But a documentary crew hanging out for five seasons and being granted access to everything

This really bothered me about The Office guy for whatever reason it doesn't bother me here. Maybe because it's inherently unrealistic already.

Just now, et-novum said:

This really bothered me about The Office guy for whatever reason it doesn't bother me here. Maybe because it's inherently unrealistic already.

I mean both require a suspension of disbelief, along with almost all other mockumentary movies/shows.  The only exception that I know of is "This is Spinal Tap", which actually formed into a real band and toured after the success of the film.  Also fuck that movie will be forty years old in less than three months?  Goddamn this getting old thing sucks.

• 3 months later...