What's your comfort show

Star Trek, pretty much any of it (except the new movies) but anything pre Enterprise is the best.  Also Babylon 5, Alien Nation, and anything else I used to watch with my mom.

Also Invader Zim, Venture Brothers, Archer (along with Frisky Dingo), and Rick and Morty.

Lots of old anime too

Edited by Scary Guy

I forgot about "Friday the 13th"  (the 1980s series about cursed antiques). Also, "Tales of the Gold Monkey." Currently working my way through both.

Oh, the nostalgia - and also a lot of cringey, late 20th century behaviour, too!  I guess this is the cost of nostalgia; weighing it against modern perspective, it makes you realise a lot of things. 

44 minutes ago, jynxxxedangel said:

I forgot about "Friday the 13th"

I will say that it made no sense why they called it that other than just name recognition.  Had zero to do with the movie series and most things like that feel a little disingenuous to me.  I was also young enough to where I didn't really care at that point so it didn't keep me from consuming it and I did quite enjoy it (and fairly recently referenced it in a thread.) It was also good enough for Stephen King to ripoff too, but at least we got a great R&M episode out of it:

Oh wow, it's all on Archive.org too!  https://archive.org/details/friday-the-13th-the-series-1987

I like other shows like that too, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Amazing Stories, Tales from the Crypt, tales from the Dark Side, Monsters, etc... and some of the movies based on those too.  I mean they're not all winners but they're kind of episodic rather than story driven (for the most part, there was an overall story with the 13th.)

On 10/1/2023 at 9:47 PM, TronRP said:

I currently have 2 series that I watch over and over...and over again.  I use them for background noise and when I just want to watch something:

My Hero Academia

Jujutsu Kaisen

You need to meet my younger daughter.  She is an anime’ fiend.  

6 minutes ago, Msterbeau said:

You need to meet my younger daughter.  She is an anime’ fiend.  

~~~~~

I am not as much into it as my sister who has seen series I've never heard of.  And if she hasn't watched it, there is a good chance she read the Manga.

I got into Anime when Robotech used to air on TV after school and it just blossomed from there (because I didn't know Kimba and Astro Boy were Japanese Animations back then).  The first non-televised series I became obsessed with was Ranma 1/2.  People who had friends and/or family in Japan used to record various Anime series on videotape and shipped them back to the U.S.

3 minutes ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

I am not as much into it as my sister who has seen series I've never heard of.  And if she hasn't watched it, there is a good chance she read the Manga.

I got into Anime when Robotech used to air on TV after school and it just blossomed from there (because I didn't know Kimba and Astro Boy were Japanese Animations back then).  The first non-televised series I became obsessed with was Ranma 1/2.  People who had friends and/or family in Japan used to record various Anime series on videotape and shipped them back to the U.S.

Kyra has been into it since 6-ish years old. She learned Japanese in high school and college and plans to go to Japan next year to teach english when she finishes her degree.  She writes stories and fan fiction for series I’ve never heard of. (Which, to be fair, is most of them) She does gender-swapped cosplays.  Yup, she’s a little into it… 

Just now, Msterbeau said:

Kyra has been into it since 6-ish years old. She learned Japanese in high school and college and plans to go to Japan next year to teach english when she finishes her degree.  She writes stories and fan fiction for series I’ve never heard of. (Which, to be fair, is most of them) She does gender-swapped cosplays.  Yup, she’s a little into it… 

~~~~~

When I was in Japan, I flipped out when I saw that much of the stuff that I had seen in the everyday life of the characters from Ranma was real.  So are the 30 second rain showers followed by sunny skies.

:rofl:

I had wanted to do the Jet Program where Americans teach English to Japanese grade school students, but they felt I was too close to the age cutoff so I retuned to the U.S. after I finished my studies at JCMU.

I did a fan spoof art of the characters from Robotech way back when, but not much else.

If she doesn't mind, you could probably post her cosplay in the cosplay thread. :biggrin:

OK...trying not to stay :offtopic:

I'm done.

gallery_4589_1202_11375.png

3 hours ago, Msterbeau said:

That said I could watch Firefly

Well if you want some good newer series, The Expanse and The Orville are great, but I'm kind of a sci-fi nut so even the bad is good to me (usually).

Orville is great though as it's like a loveletter to Star Trek.  They do throw in a lot of jokes (especially in the first few episodes) but the writing is solid, and so the characters have substance and the stories are both episodic and seasonal.  It feels like Trek in all but name and that's amazing to me.  Even some of the Trek actors make guest appearances and from other franchises like Babylon 5 as well.

To keep on topic though, I'm adding M*A*S*H to my list too.  Let's just go ahead and do the entire lineup of Nick at Nite from around the mid 80s while we're at it.  Also I forgot RED DWARF because that shit is cheesy and great!  I also forgot old Doctor Who which I used to also see on PBS.

3 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

Well if you want some good newer series, The Expanse and The Orville are great, but I'm kind of a sci-fi nut so even the bad is good to me (usually).

Orville is great though as it's like a loveletter to Star Trek.  They do throw in a lot of jokes (especially in the first few episodes) but the writing is solid, and so the characters have substance and the stories are both episodic and seasonal.  It feels like Trek in all but name and that's amazing to me.  Even some of the Trek actors make guest appearances and from other franchises like Babylon 5 as well.

To keep on topic though, I'm adding M*A*S*H to my list too.  Let's just go ahead and do the entire lineup of Nick at Nite from around the mid 80s while we're at it.  Also I forgot RED DWARF because that shit is cheesy and great!  I also forgot old Doctor Who which I used to also see on PBS.

I've watched The Expense.  Excellent series!!  My go to series tends to be Sci-Fi and (foreign) Period Dramas or Dramadies.  I like quirky movies too.  Pretty much hate sitcoms with some exceptions. 

7 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

When I was in Japan, I flipped out when I saw that much of the stuff that I had seen in the everyday life of the characters from Ranma was real.  So are the 30 second rain showers followed by sunny skies.

:rofl:

I had wanted to do the Jet Program where Americans teach English to Japanese grade school students, but they felt I was too close to the age cutoff so I retuned to the U.S. after I finished my studies at JCMU.

I did a fan spoof art of the characters from Robotech way back when, but not much else.

If she doesn't mind, you could probably post her cosplay in the cosplay thread. :biggrin:

OK...trying not to stay :offtopic:

I'm done.

gallery_4589_1202_11375.png

I think it would not be appropriate for me to share without her permission.  If I ever meet you in real live person I can show you what she's working on now for Youmacon.  It's quite amazing.