What do you like about DGN?

Scary Guy

I was just wondering what keeps y'all coming back?

Is it...

the events?

the content?

the community?

the nostalgia?

something else entirely?

I suppose for me it's a mix of all of those.  Since I'm not on any of the major networks because they all suck, this is where I get my fix and find out about shows or keep up with some of what some of the people I like are up to.  I have a lot of history here which is mostly good but some bad (as with the rest of the scene.)

I do think some things could be done to improve the site, but as it stands I'm pretty happy.

I can be real. And my normal... Which is not like many.. But that's okay. Fb sensors a lot and I can't, be real... And it... Is hard.. I just need to be real. Its the only thing making it easy for me to see the truth and read it back to myself and get myself through stuff. I'm on my own mission, I'm growing towards my own light..or glow... Many don't need to understand me. I'm okay with that, but they don't need to. I have people who need me in real life. I need them too. They dedicate their time and energy to me like nobody else. And, words never mean anything to me, other than to communicate needs and concerns. I'm a huge actions person, and I see actions very loud. And yeah. Im moving forward, even if I'm in a huge battle right now. My retirement years will be worth everything. I look forward to being old 

5 minutes ago, gwen said:

drinking my own blood, apparently

bad influencers!

Well it certainly is tasty and has lots of iron too!

Also I wouldn't drink my own blood for this simple reason:

Although I guess I'm already me so it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Scary Guy

Makes me feel like I'm part of an actual community, not just random goths all floating about.  That's kinda what Troy envisioned, it seemed like City Club wasn't really "enough", like sure it's nice to see everyone on the weekends but staying in touch digitally brought so many people together before the time where other social media became the mainstay.  Also nostalgia. Also there's a staff chat hot tub in the moderator lounge.

• 2 weeks later...

It showed up right when I needed it.  It kept me alive.  It let me say the things I needed to say.  It became my publicly, private diary.  It allowed this introvert to make friends across the globe.  It helped me see I am relevant.  It is a lifesaver.

What do I like about DGN:

It showed,

It kept,

It let,

It became,

It allowed,

It helped,

It is.

58 minutes ago, Raev said:

I like @phee

Same!

54 minutes ago, phee said:

I like people's low standards here.

Same!  It's an easy crowd for me to please usually.

You should try to hit up The Gatherings more, though I'm missing the next one as it's the same night as my birthday thing (which you are invited to as well.)

It's been said, but, gives me a sense of community... And I need that right now, a lot with all the changes I have made to protect myself and my peace so I can continue through my life easier. And not so, traumatically 😒 I'm single, and staying this way. But this place, idk. I begin my first visit with the online group, for my high functioning autism. I'm trying, to, learn how to social better. I can say a whole bunch of stuff, but when other repeat back what they think I said, I'm always misunderstood... It's frustrating.. So, yeah.. In time, progress. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I hope to become more of a social pleasure as time goes on and I take these group meetings to better myself. This place, has, always gave me, a sense of myself. It's nice coming back from time to time. It's like a home I made when I was a teenager in pure Hell. Not the town lol. But yeah. Idk.. It's hard to socialize... At this point, I jsut want to be quiet, and sit in people's presence... Laughing, smiling, and giving a hug if needed... I don't know. What I feel inside, is never how people tell me my words say... Idk.. I wish I could come to the goth nights with Raev... I am better in person.. 

This internet stuff, is becoming, increasingly difficult. 

Well, there are plenty of reasons why.

I rolled up in here about 2004, after seeing a Gothic Beauty magazine at the Hot Topic where I was the assistant manager. Seriously. I’m not even kidding when I say that.

I literally knew nothing of the goth subculture, or what it meant to be goth. I just knew that I had always been a misfit, and lurking here for several weeks made me feel a whole lot more at ease. The people were so cool, in my eyes. Sorry if I offend anybody by calling you cool.

So, I joined. I introduced myself, and all I kept thinking was.“I don’t belong here. But I’m still going to join“ 

I was made to feel right at home, from the start. Phee and Paper Hearts were two of the first people that I made friends with, here. But it quickly grew into something I didn’t expect. I felt good about being here. So good that I decided to get on a plane and come to Detroit, all by myself, to meet everybody. It was a hell of a weekend! I was taken to my first strip clubs, ever. I did shots of whiskey at Luna and threw up everything but my shoes. I went to city club and was unimpressed by the club, but thrilled to death to meet those who came out to say hello.

I met my husband here. He was my tour guide, when I came to visit. We were only friends. I was married at the time, and it wasn’t a happy marriage. But I also wasn’t going to step outside of it. He had been through the divorce from hell, losing everything, but his dog. And because I love sarcasm and cynicism, I knew we would be friends for life.

My husband and I became best friends, and I couldn’t wait to come back to see everybody! I have never felt that strongly about a group of people or another city in my entire life. I’m from Baltimore, and that’s where my whole life was. I knew I was going to come back. But I didn’t know it was it it was going to be a permanent thing.

So for me, it was the people, the smells, the jokes, all of it. And it still is. I didn’t come back onto DGN too much after Jeff and I got married, only because so many people have left and it wasn’t the same. and it made me sad because this is the whole reason that I’m here. All because I looked up a word, joined a forum, and made friends. 

I know I don’t come out much. Covid can be very dangerous for me. So when I do come out, it’s a big deal. By that, I don’t mean it all of you should flock to me and hang out with me just because I showed up. Not like that at all. but DGN is like home. I’m not here all the time, but I really do like visiting the people that I care about. 

3 hours ago, Anna Phylaxis said:

I rolled up in here about 2004, after seeing a Gothic Beauty magazine at the Hot Topic where I was the assistant manager. Seriously. I’m not even kidding when I say that.

I literally knew nothing of the goth subculture, or what it meant to be goth. I just knew that I had always been a misfit, and lurking here for several weeks made me feel a whole lot more at ease. The people were so cool, in my eyes. Sorry if I offend anybody by calling you cool.

So, I joined. I introduced myself, and all I kept thinking was.“I don’t belong here. But I’m still going to join“ 

I was made to feel right at home, from the start. Phee and Paper Hearts were two of the first people that I made friends with, here. But it quickly grew into something I didn’t expect. I felt good about being here. So good that I decided to get on a plane and come to Detroit, all by myself, to meet everybody. It was a hell of a weekend! I was taken to my first strip clubs, ever. I did shots of whiskey at Luna and threw up everything but my shoes. I went to city club and was unimpressed by the club, but thrilled to death to meet those who came out to say hello.

I met my husband here. He was my tour guide, when I came to visit. We were only friends. I was married at the time, and it wasn’t a happy marriage. But I also wasn’t going to step outside of it. He had been through the divorce from hell, losing everything, but his dog. And because I love sarcasm and cynicism, I knew we would be friends for life.

My husband and I became best friends, and I couldn’t wait to come back to see everybody! I have never felt that strongly about a group of people or another city in my entire life. I’m from Baltimore, and that’s where my whole life was. I knew I was going to come back. But I didn’t know it was it it was going to be a permanent thing.

So for me, it was the people, the smells, the jokes, all of it. And it still is. I didn’t come back onto DGN too much after Jeff and I got married, only because so many people have left and it wasn’t the same. and it made me sad because this is the whole reason that I’m here. All because I looked up a word, joined a forum, and made friends. 

I know I don’t come out much. Covid can be very dangerous for me. So when I do come out, it’s a big deal. By that, I don’t mean it all of you should flock to me and hang out with me just because I showed up. Not like that at all. but DGN is like home. I’m not here all the time, but I really do like visiting the people that I care about. 

I seriously imagine you on top of a double decker tour bus dressed as a stereotypical tourist (Hawaiian shirt, big camera), with your husband as the guide spouting off random facts about them area. Also your kids are there rolling their eyes for you flirting so much with the tour guide

Edited by Slogo

6 hours ago, Queen of Foxes said:

It's been said, but, gives me a sense of community... And I need that right now, a lot with all the changes I have made to protect myself and my peace so I can continue through my life easier. And not so, traumatically 😒 I'm single, and staying this way. But this place, idk. I begin my first visit with the online group, for my high functioning autism. I'm trying, to, learn how to social better. I can say a whole bunch of stuff, but when other repeat back what they think I said, I'm always misunderstood... It's frustrating.. So, yeah.. In time, progress. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I hope to become more of a social pleasure as time goes on and I take these group meetings to better myself. This place, has, always gave me, a sense of myself. It's nice coming back from time to time. It's like a home I made when I was a teenager in pure Hell. Not the town lol. But yeah. Idk.. It's hard to socialize... At this point, I jsut want to be quiet, and sit in people's presence... Laughing, smiling, and giving a hug if needed... I don't know. What I feel inside, is never how people tell me my words say... Idk.. I wish I could come to the goth nights with Raev... I am better in person.. 

I wish Raev would come out more too.

Also the internet is a lot easier for me.  I find that I can revise and edit things as needed, and I can also take my time before I post in the first place.  In person is way harder because I have to know what to say on the spot.  That can leave awkward...

...pauses while I think of what to say.  Sometimes I'll have to circle back to it later too because I'll have forgotten what I wanted to say if someone interrupts during the pause.

5 hours ago, Anna Phylaxis said:

I have never felt like I fit in, even with the misfits.  Never felt like I was a true goth either from all the people trying to gatekeep that.  Then I stopped caring and all those posers can fuck the fuck off.  (Also actually owning hearses helped my cred a bit too I guess.) I still try and I know I'm accepted in a lot of my groups, but I seem to always be doomed to only feel loosely associated with them.

13 hours ago, Queen of Foxes said:

If you can't make it out, there's always craft beer joints we can hang out at again!

6 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

I wish Raev would come out more too.

I get out when I can. My day job is regularly 12 hour days Mon-Fri. One weekend a month is Asylum. Doesn't leave me a tremendous amount of time to get out and socialize, pursue hobbies, tend to the house, and spend time with zee wife.

I have as much fun as possible but life is hard.

1 hour ago, Raev said:

I get out when I can. My day job is regularly 12 hour days Mon-Fri. One weekend a month is Asylum. Doesn't leave me a tremendous amount of time to get out and socialize, pursue hobbies, tend to the house, and spend time with zee wife.

I have as much fun as possible but life is hard.

No wonder you rarely post.

Well, I suppose you have to make that cash somehow.  Hope you own your home, housing in Canada is pretty screwed from what I've heard.

8 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

No wonder you rarely post.

Well, I suppose you have to make that cash somehow.  Hope you own your home, housing in Canada is pretty screwed from what I've heard.

In 2015 we saw house prices starting to creep up month by month, so when we saw one that fit most of what we wanted we leveraged everything we possibly could and bought a small, basic house. We suspected the price creep would continue and if we didn't act we'd be priced out.

Good thing, too. Our neighbors house just sold for around $300,000 MORE than we paid for ours.