On 8/10/2023 at 11:49 AM, oXMiahGraceXo said:

Am I the baby bat? Have I been adopted /)0O0(\

:: feeds you grapes ::

19 hours ago, Msterbeau said:

I'm the weirdo.  I'm always the weirdo.  

I was a weirdo once. It was great.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:38 PM, Msterbeau said:

While admitting I miss a few old board members, let's also take care not to invite any of the people that were constantly stirring up shit.  That's all I'm going to say about that...  

I agree with that 100%. It was incredibly frustrating to deal with some of the bullshit that went on, back in the day. I’m also trying to talk my husband into coming back. After all, this is where I met him.

3 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

I've heard that joke before, but it was "hang you with a rope" and "do you have any rope?"

Speaking of jokes.  I can't find the video but this was hilarious.  Kinda pissed SNL has scrubbed it from the internet.

Why would they scrub that it's so funny!!

I love Patrick Stewart lol

1 hour ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

Why would they scrub that it's so funny!!

I love Patrick Stewart lol

Something about rights I'm sure, or they just want you to buy the SNL box set.  Problem is then you get all the unfunny skits too, which is most of 'em IMO.

SCTV was always the better show anyway.

I'm of the opinion that SNL is not, never has been, and never will be funny. A lot of funny people have cycled through, and occasionally they'll have some funny sketches, but as a whole, it's just a waste of time.

1 minute ago, n0Mad said:

I'm of the opinion that SNL is not, never has been, and never will be funny. A lot of funny people have cycled through, and occasionally they'll have some funny sketches, but as a whole, it's just a waste of time.

Seconded. I never got it tbh.

6 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

SCTV was always the better show anyway.

And yet again you've added to my required watching list XD 

2 minutes ago, n0Mad said:

No, that's it.  They get it right sometimes, but the majority of it is just unfunny political garbage.  I do like pretty much all of "Goth Talk" and "Nick Burns" skits though.

Just now, n0Mad said:

The best Lorne Michaels produced show ever was "Kids In The Hall".

That was pretty good, the new stuff is okay too but not as great as some of that old magic they had.

3 minutes ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

Seconded. I never got it tbh.

And yet again you've added to my required watching list XD 

If you like sketch comedy there's a lot of good stuff.  It's all hit or miss though.  Some of my favorites:

Chappelle's Show

Jam

Mad TV

The Upright Citizens Brigade

The Vacant Lot

Who's Line is it Anyway

Wondershowzen

There's a whole list here.

SCTV was special though.  I used to watch that on Nick at Night back in the 80s along with SNL when it was good, or maybe I just thought it was good because there were only like 50 stations on cable then and I was too young to know any better.

1 hour ago, Scary Guy said:

If you like sketch comedy there's a lot of good stuff.  It's all hit or miss though.  Some of my favorites:

Chappelle's Show

Jam

Mad TV

The Upright Citizens Brigade

The Vacant Lot

Who's Line is it Anyway

Wondershowzen

There's a whole list here.

SCTV was special though.  I used to watch that on Nick at Night back in the 80s along with SNL when it was good, or maybe I just thought it was good because there were only like 50 stations on cable then and I was too young to know any better.

I love whose line is it! 

And I only ever saw the Cartoon Network revival of Mad TV. And I read a couple of the old magazines that my older brother had in his garage. 

Nick at Night was the best back in the day. Fran the Nanny and the George Lopez show were mostly what they played by the time I was in middle school. 

Ugh I weirdly miss cable. I miss the breaks to chat and the little bumper adds, and the channel personalities they would have like announcing the shows in between comercal breaks. (I almost even miss the commercials. Compared to how ads have creeped into EVERYTHING now) 

Once upon a time, I loved the British "Whose Line" on Comedy Central so much during high school, I said that's what I want to do with my life. So I did. And it was great. But then it wasn't, so I moved back to Detroit-ish and wound up on DGN. It was great.

2 hours ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

I love whose line is it! 

And I only ever saw the Cartoon Network revival of Mad TV. And I read a couple of the old magazines that my older brother had in his garage. 

Nick at Night was the best back in the day. Fran the Nanny and the George Lopez show were mostly what they played by the time I was in middle school. 

Ugh I weirdly miss cable. I miss the breaks to chat and the little bumper adds, and the channel personalities they would have like announcing the shows in between comercal breaks. (I almost even miss the commercials. Compared to how ads have creeped into EVERYTHING now) 

The Nanny was great but that came later.  When I was watching it there were shows like "Car 54 Where Are You?," "My Three Sons," "Dobie Gillis," "The Patty Duke Show," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Dick Van Dyke Show," "Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp," "Get Smart," "Taxi," "The Monkeys," "Laugh In," "Mr Ed," and a few others that escape my brain.

Some of the commercials were good, not then but only now and only for nostalgia's sake.  Advertising is a disease.  Kind of wish we were like (I think it's) Vermont where all billboards are banned.  Product placement has been a thing forever though.  I literally just saw part of Beatlejuice on TV and when he was explaining how to say his name because he couldn't say it, the carton of juice being poured into a glass was Minute Made.  Oh, Demolition Man had Taco Bell, but in other markets it was Pizza Hut.  In the movie "God Bless America" (2011) when they walk into the movie theater, the posters on the wall are other movies that the producers produced (self promotion is still promotion, but that was more of a nod to past work which I can respect.)

I find it interesting in both how certain brands are used in things and certain others get a made up brand instead.  Or parodies to brands for comedic effect.

39 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

When I was watching it there were shows like "Car 54 Where Are You?," "My Three Sons," "Dobie Gillis," "The Patty Duke Show," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Dick Van Dyke Show," "Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp," "Get Smart," "Taxi," "The Monkeys," "Laugh In," "Mr Ed," and a few others that escape my brain.

Best era ever! Dad and I loved watching "Get Smart" together. Eventually I bought him the whole DVD boxed set.

9 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

The Nanny was great but that came later.  When I was watching it there were shows like "Car 54 Where Are You?," "My Three Sons," "Dobie Gillis," "The Patty Duke Show," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Dick Van Dyke Show," "Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp," "Get Smart," "Taxi," "The Monkeys," "Laugh In," "Mr Ed," and a few others that escape my brain.

Some of the commercials were good, not then but only now and only for nostalgia's sake.  Advertising is a disease.  Kind of wish we were like (I think it's) Vermont where all billboards are banned.  Product placement has been a thing forever though.  I literally just saw part of Beatlejuice on TV and when he was explaining how to say his name because he couldn't say it, the carton of juice being poured into a glass was Minute Made.  Oh, Demolition Man had Taco Bell, but in other markets it was Pizza Hut.  In the movie "God Bless America" (2011) when they walk into the movie theater, the posters on the wall are other movies that the producers produced (self promotion is still promotion, but that was more of a nod to past work which I can respect.)

I find it interesting in both how certain brands are used in things and certain others get a made up brand instead.  Or parodies to brands for comedic effect.

The add placement in demo man was so bizarre and interesting that I'll give it a pass XD 

Parody brands are fun. Slurge soda from Futurama comes to mind XD that whole episode was so gross but so fun!

54 minutes ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

The add placement in demo man was so bizarre and interesting that I'll give it a pass XD 

Parody brands are fun. Slurge soda from Futurama comes to mind XD that whole episode was so gross but so fun!

Slurm was, but it was also meant to be.  Not like they could use a real brand for that.  However: https://theinfosphere.org/List_of_products (it should go without saying that there are spoilers.)

There are very few actual products/franchises that I could see.  Partridge Family, Doritos, and Harribo were about it before I got overwhelmed and closed the tab.

45 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

Slurm was, but it was also meant to be.  Not like they could use a real brand for that.  However: https://theinfosphere.org/List_of_products (it should go without saying that there are spoilers.)

There are very few actual products/franchises that I could see.  Partridge Family, Doritos, and Harribo were about it before I got overwhelmed and closed the tab.

It is a TON of products. IPod was in there XD 

Man I forgot about bachelor chow. That is the funniest dig tbh XD 

Not that I can judge I eat mac and cheese for almost every meal.