Daylife events in the South Eastern Michigan area.

This is a slightly different post than the nightlife one and will focus on all the "normie" touristy things in and around Detroit.

A rating system has now been implemented to gauge how normie/goth an event is.  Normie events get a 0 while goth events get a 6.  Events/places I haven't personally attended will be left off the scale.  People I know are welcome to suggest ratings changes.  It should be noted that just being weird doesn't inherently make something goth.

WEEKLY EVENTS:

Saturdays:  The Gathering @ IHOP in Dearborn Heights, MI (currently on hiatus, will update with information when I have some) GS-4 because it's at an IHOP.

OTHER THINGS TO DO:
Conventions and Festivals:
Cinema Wasteland (Strongsville, Ohio) GS-3.5 for cool horror stuff.
ConVocation

FrankenFest
HearseFest hosted by Just Hearse N' Around GS-2 (not many hearse owners are actually goth, and a lot of normies attend.)

The Michigan Renaissance Festival GS-1

Motor City ComicCon

Motor City Nightmares

Oddities and Curiosities Expo

Penguicon GS-1

TecTroit (free)

Theater Bizarre

Wicked Bizarre (no website found)

Museums and Tours:
Anatomy of Death Museum GS-4

Cranbrook Art Museum

Clinton Grove Cemetery Tour (ticket site currently not working, may need to call to set it up.)

Detroit History Tours (including cemetery tours!) GS-5 if it's an actual yard tour, otherwise 0)

Detroit Institute of Arts / The Detroit Film Theater GS-1 for the cool part of the church they moved brick by brick and reconstructed there.)

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum GS-0

Michigan Museum of Horror

The Michigan Science Center

University of Michigan Museum of Natural History

Food:

The Black Salt Bar GS-5

Jolly Pumpkin Brewery GS-3

Legendary Axe

The Raven Cafe

Supernatural Brewery

Witche's Hat Brewery

Shopping:

Earthlore

Noir Leather GS-5

Rude Trendz in Westland

Showtime

I will add more soon.  Feel free to reply with your suggestions.

Edited by Scary Guy
Added some things, not done adding things!

• TronRP pinned this topic
  • Scary Guy changed the title to Daylife events in the South Eastern Michigan area.

Conventions: There is also 3 FrankenFest events coming to Port Huron, Lansing and Detroit.  Sadly the Detroit show is typically the same day as HearseFest.  Also there will be the Wicked Bizarre in Livonia in August.  Speaking of Bizarres also don’t forget Theater Bizarre.

Museums: Cranbook or University of Michigan Natural History Museums, U of M also has an archeology museum I’ve heard good things about. 

Food: I believe there is a place called the Witch’s Hat Brewery which is out by South Lyon I think.   I really like to go to Supernatural Brewery in Livonia.  Legendary Axe in Westland has a cool vibe to it as well.

Shopping: Rude Trendz in Westland, and Showtime in Hamtramck (yes that Showtime, they are back), Earthlore in Plymouth.

Other: Plymouth MI also has cemetery and ghost tours.  Wayne  MI does a cemetery tour as well.  The Westland Historical Village usually does a paranormal investigation thing every year.  Also Eloise in Westland does ghost tour/paranormal investigations, they also have a haunted attraction at Eloise if that is your thing.  And the State Wayne Theater has a live shadow cast of Rocky Horror twice a month.

Edited by Science_goth_Megan

38 minutes ago, Science_goth_Megan said:

Conventions: There is also 3 FrankenFest events coming to Port Huron, Lansing and Detroit.  Sadly the Detroit show is typically the same day as HearseFest.  Also there will be the Wicked Bizarre in Livonia in August.  Speaking of Bizarres also don’t forget Theater Bizarre.

Museums: Cranbook or University of Michigan Natural History Museums, U of M also has an archeology museum I’ve heard good things about. 

Food: I believe there is a place called the Witch’s Hat Brewery which is out by South Lyon I think.   I really like to go to Supernatural Brewery in Livonia.  Legendary Axe in Westland has a cool vibe to it as well.

Shopping: Rude Trendz in Westland, and Showtime in Hamtramck (yes that Showtime, they are back), Earthlore in Plymouth.

Other: Plymouth MI also has cemetery and ghost tours.  Wayne  MI does a cemetery tour as well.  The Westland Historical Village usually does a paranormal investigation thing every year.  Also Eloise in Westland does ghost tour/paranormal investigations, they also have a haunted attraction at Eloise if that is your thing.  And the State Wayne Theater has a live shadow cast of Rocky Horror twice a month.

Good to hear about Showtime being back.  I also slept on Black Salt which is in the same building Mephisto's used to be in.  I might actually go check it out later today just for nostalgia's sake, or I might wait until the weekend and hit it on the way down to City, IDK.

Supernatural I've never been to, and they kicked out the Michigan Skeptics group I belong to anyway.  Currently they're searching for a new venue to host it.

I must research all of this and add it, thanks!

Edited by Scary Guy

1 minute ago, Scary Guy said:

Good to hear about Showtime being back.  I also slept on Black Salt which is in the same building Mephisto's used to be in.  I might actually go check it out later today just for nostalgia's sake, or I might wait until the weekend and hit it on the way down to City, IDK.

Supernatural I've never been to, and they kicked out my Michigan Skeptics group anyway.  Currently they're searching for a new venue to host it.

I must research all of this and add it, thanks!

You bet! 

1 hour ago, gwen said:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-anatomy-of-death-museum

i like this because i am asleep by 11 now

here is a little jewl i found

they no longer sell mumified bats to witches because of covid

but

its still cool as all heck.

Yep, I've already got it listed.  My friend Fats runs it so of course I'm going to list it.  He has much more not even on display.  I hope he's cleaned out his basement a bit, had even more there too.

Not sure if he still does, but you can find some of his wares on Craigslist, eBay and Facebook Marketplace.  Also he'll sell almost anything for the right price.

He sold me both of my hearses too when I got those.  Still miss them both.  First I was in his "The Dead Society H.C." and he made me president while he joined an M.C. (couldn't be in any other clubs while doing that) and then later he joined "Mortis City H.C." when I was president of that.

I should really get out and visit him again.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Rogloser231 said:

You should add Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills open 365 days a year hide selection of coin operated oddities!

Marvin3m.com

Not exactly goth and usually too many kids for my taste, but still very neat the few times I actually did go.

There's a lot I should probably add, and one day I'll probably get around to it.  I'll throw your suggestion up now though.

• 1 month later...

its never too early to post halloween events on a goth board! ha! B00. 

one of the things mentioned on this walk

the number of drunken fools

falling into that river on a cold dark night

and drowning to death.

drunken folly.

at its worst.

Edited by gwen

• 6 months later...