Modern Music Sucks? 🦊

Trappernicus

The problem I have with most modern music is it lacks Timbre.

Timbre: The quality given to a sound by its overtones: Sorry ch as a) the resonance by which the ear recognises and identifies a voiced speech sound b) the quality of tone distinctive of a particular singing voice or musical instrument. 

In short, the ability to distinguish between voices and instruments.

Edited by Trappernicus

• 2 weeks later...

Most modern music sucks, yes.  There are a few good bands that have a few good tracks though.

However I don't think any of it actually lacks Timbre.  The voice is its own musical instrument.  I will agree that the others shouldn't overshadow it as it should be the centerpiece of the composition.  There can also too many effects sometimes such as reverb, echo, autotune, etc...  Sometimes it's done really well and other times you get that Cher song.  Lady Gaga (for as much as I hate pop music) actually has some talent and can actually sing.  Historically there have been many people who can't (or at least shouldn't) and still have made it big anyway.

• 2 months later...

For me the problem with modern music lacking timbre is not the ability to distinguish between voices and instruments, although that can be important, but that modern music lacks timbre in the sense that it lacks a variety of differing sounds which compliment each other in a way that elicits emotion that most music otherwise wouldn't.