What Are You Thinking? (cont'd)

TronRP

7 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

Yeah, I had them shut off long ago and forgot I did that.  Then I forgot I didn't like them.  They're apparently tied into reputation too which means nothing to me.

If you like something just say so, or maybe even comment on it.  That means way more than some icon.  There's also no dislike icon, or anger icon.  Nothing to give negative rep except maybe the report button?

Really?  I think anyone who's a fan of Mad Max would.  I have a soft spot for post apocalyptic movies.

~~~~~

Troy felt that if a person had the mental fortitude to make a post, they shouldn't be given a negative reaction on it.  Positivity and smiles where like distant hugs and encouragement.

He believed that if a comment caused a person to feel a certain way then they could take the time to put their feelings into a well thought out post.  Which is also the reason behind why he didn't want a "Chat" feature on DGN.  People can make some harsh comments in the heat of moment whereas taking the time to write out a well thought post to express yourself could open up dialogue to dispel any misunderstandings. 

5 hours ago, SlavicGoth said:

It was $60 to get into City club lastnight because of the movement festival going on. the place was really packed and went on till 6am. I feel like I should have saved my money for tonight 

There's a reason I avoid Detroit completely on that weekend.  $60 is nuts though but it's whatever the promoter wants to charge as they usually rent it out for the night.

Actually NVM, according to the website it looks like you got overcharged at the door, as all the prices say $20 - $45.

Edited by Scary Guy
I actually looked.

4 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

Troy felt that if a person had the mental fortitude to make a post, they shouldn't be given a negative reaction on it.  Positivity and smiles where like distant hugs and encouragement.

He believed that if a comment caused a person to feel a certain way then they could take the time to put their feelings into a well thought out post.  Which is also the reason behind why he didn't want a "Chat" feature on DGN.  People can make some harsh comments in the heat of moment whereas taking the time to write out a well thought post to express yourself could open up dialogue to dispel any misunderstandings. 

I've never been quite sure that the positive feedback loop was a good thing though.  This forum was always more accepting and less toxic than the other one, but the other one you could really be yourself on.  While I liked this one I always preferred that one because at least people were honest with me.  Here I don't actually know who dislikes anyone (especially me) because they're simply not allowed to.  Everyone gets along or you're shown the door.  I think other platforms where you can block someone you don't like and not have to see their posts won out for that reason.  Either you can block them or tell them what you really think and call them out on things.  Drama should be able to work itself out, or it just festers and grows.  Of course that's also assuming people can work things out like adults (which the other forum had issues with as well.) Maybe that's why I've always liked DGN but never fully bought into it (though to be fair, there isn't much (if anything) that I'll buy into 100%.) I do appreciate y'all letting me loiter, rant, and complain though.

As far as the chat goes, Troy left this for Discord and hasn't logged in since December of '22, and before that it was only occasionally to check in on things averaging a few posts a month after 2021 (and most of those are Gathering posts.) I wasn't aware that was one of the reasons he didn't want a chat though.  I thought it was mostly because it would take activity away from the board.  Though after the decline in activity I think he finally figured he should find a more popular format.  It's just unfortunate it had to be that and not matrix.org or something similar (I get it though since it has a lot of money behind it and it's more polished.)

20 hours ago, The1andonlyMEG said:

We are from the before times … the long long ago. 

Some of us even before this was DGN and was the SB. 

What is with the sudden explosion of activity on here it was just me and 2 or 3 other people posting now we have a lot”

Yep. We are the OGs and we have returned. Scary, I know. But back in our day, this place was jumping! It was a wild time, and because of DGN, I now live in the Metro Detroit area. I came from the East Coast, over 16 years ago. But I fell in love with this community and the people in it, closer to 20 years ago. 2004, to be exact.

I went under a different name, Brenda Starrr. If it weren’t for this board’s existence, I would probably not be here today. I would never have made the friends that I have made, fell in love with the man who is now my husband, and moved here. this board hasn’t just changed my life, but the lives of my now adult children.

And it feels like home. 

Edited by Anna Phylaxis

33 minutes ago, GothicRavenGoddess said:

Legit I am thinking that I wish message boards hadn’t lost their popularity and that I had stayed active on here despite the falling out I had with so many. Idk despite that it’s always felt like home.

It’s crazy, isn’t it? As goths, we’re not supposed to care about what’s popular. To be honest, I’m not a true goth. I feel like I fit in for the simple fact that I’m a misfit of my own kind.

I can’t get over how crazy things used to be. Will they get like that again? Who knows? But it’s nice to be back. I’ve actually encouraged both of my daughters to join. They’re both goth babies and it remains to be seen as to whether or not, they come on here. Both are heavy duty in the fashion and make up, and would probably liven up that particular forum. 

It’s really weird, because I didn’t anticipate any of this happening. At all. But I’d hate to see some thing that was so important to how my life has turned out to be so quiet and lifeless. DGN was a massive part of my life. And even though I haven’t been on the boards that much in the last 10 years, it’s really safe to say that I still view it as an important part of my life because I just wouldn’t be here without it.

Edited by Anna Phylaxis

I feel ya.

I forget what year it was, but I was overjoyed when I found DGN.

I had vanished from the community around the time my daughter was born, in 99. Around 07 I went to City for the first time since I quit working there (1999). I didn't know anyone. I didn't recognize the music anymore. I felt so alone. Half the time my daughter was with me and half with her mom. In those alone times I was just a mohawked weirdo who loved odd movies and music who lost all of his friends.

I wasn't in a good place. I needed connections. I needed community. I needed friends.

I found that, and a wife, here.

2 minutes ago, Raev said:

I feel ya.

I had vanished from the community around the time my daughter was born, in 99. Around 07 I went to City for the first time since I quit working there (1999). I didn't know anyone. I didn't recognize the music anymore. I felt so alone. Half the time my daughter was with me and half with her mom. In those alone times I was just a mohawked weirdo who loved odd movies and music who lost all of his friends.

I wasn't in a good place. I needed connections. I needed community. I needed friends.

It’s really wild. I didn’t think I was going to find anything when I started lurking here. And I spent a good several weeks lurking before I finally joined. And as I sat there and watched, a.k.a. lurked, I saw people they were like me. People that didn’t fit in any particular place, except for this one. And I gave it a lot of thought. I wasn’t into forums or that sort of thing, but it was the people that drew me in and made me join. Really, nobody “made” me join. But you know what I’m saying.

And as I assimilated myself into this community, I became a moderator, then a Sr mod. I do miss those days. Not because of some dumb feeling of power or anything like that, but because I felt like I was being looked up to and relied upon, and that meant the world to me. I never in a million years expected to fall in love with an entire community, fall in love with a whole-ass man from Detroit, and come here to marry him and live, nor did I expect my life to become exponentially better because of it. 

People talk a lot of shit about Detroit. And it’s OK that they don’t know how truly awesome it is. That’s for us.

55 minutes ago, Anna Phylaxis said:

What is with the sudden explosion of activity on here it was just me and 2 or 3 other people posting now we have a lot”

Yep. We are the OGs and we have returned. Scary, I know. But back in our day, this place was jumping! It was a wild time, and because of DGN, I now live in the Metro Detroit area. I came from the East Coast, over 16 years ago. But I fell in love with this community and the people in it, closer to 20 years ago. 2004, to be exact.

I went under a different name, Brenda Starrr. If it weren’t for this board’s existence, I would probably not be here today. I would never have made the friends that I have made, fell in love with the man who is now my husband, and moved here. this board hasn’t just changed my life, but the lives of my now adult children.

And it feels like home. 

This. *nods

I don't think actually being a goth was ever a requirement for this board or anything else.  I mean it helped you to fit in sure, but it was always a "come as you are" attitude.  I think that's what kept many of the "elitist goths" away was we didn't take ourselves seriously enough.

I was here along with a handful of others, waiting.  I think now that people are sick of regular "social media" they're looking for a more local feeling.  It's good to see an uptick in activity again.  I hope that grows, but it really could go either way.

26 minutes ago, Anna Phylaxis said:

It’s crazy, isn’t it? As goths, we’re not supposed to care about what’s popular. To be honest, I’m not a true goth. I feel like I fit in for the simple fact that I’m a misfit of my own kind.

I can’t get over how crazy things used to be. Will they get like that again? Who knows? But it’s nice to be back. I’ve actually encouraged both of my daughters to join. They’re both goth babies and it remains to be seen as to whether or not, they come on here. Both are heavy duty in the fashion and make up, and would probably liven up that particular forum. 

It’s really weird, because I didn’t anticipate any of this happening. At all. But I’d hate to see some thing that was so important to how my life has turned out to be so quiet and lifeless. DGN was a massive part of my life. And even though I haven’t been on the boards that much in the last 10 years, it’s really safe to say that I still view it as an important part of my life because I just wouldn’t be here without it.

it really is honestly! These days I wear more tie dye than black, but I still love lace and red satin and stuff stereotypically goth lol 😂 but clothes are so expensive 🤣 

I never thought I’d really come back… not more than just checking pms and thanking people for birthday posts (if I missed any, I need to check my email settings cuz I stopped getting them, I realized)… but yeah… but regardless of why, I’m glad this place is bopping again lol 

6 hours ago, Raev said:

I feel ya.

I will never forget when you had posted the first picture of you and her when you guys first got together. Just seeing you both,  there was that energy. I was like watch they're going to end up married 😉

Edited by kat

I'm wondering if I'm hearing Smugglers DJ tonight usually it's just Waterfront, that's only 2 blocks and sounds like it's in the yard basically but Smugglers is 4...I think I'm hearing Smugglers because it's ass shaking stuff and that's generally Smugglers thing. Either way they're going hard lol. I'm about to get off my butt and go walking because I'm nosy as fuuuq lol.

Edited by kat

1 minute ago, kat said:

I'm wondering if I'm hearing Smugglers DJ tonight usually it's just Waterfront, that's only 2 blocks and sounds like it's in the yard basically but Smugglers is 4...I think I'm hearing Smugglers because it's ass shaking stuff and that's generally Smugglers thing. Either way they're going hard lol. 

Are you hearing Movement?

Damn tonight it's Waterfront that's out here like this! I should go see if my neighbor/friends are down there. I should have brought my purse. Maybe go get it, throw on some different clothes? Makeup? 

Edited by kat

15 hours ago, GothicRavenGoddess said:

it really is honestly! These days I wear more tie dye than black, but I still love lace and red satin and stuff stereotypically goth lol 😂 but clothes are so expensive 🤣 

I never thought I’d really come back… not more than just checking pms and thanking people for birthday posts (if I missed any, I need to check my email settings cuz I stopped getting them, I realized)… but yeah… but regardless of why, I’m glad this place is bopping again lol 

~~~~~

:blushing:

I was doing birthday posts for members, but I started getting DMed that some of them were no longer active on the board so I slowly started pulling back on making people have to come to the board to check in.  Therefore, I limited it to if the member was active that year, then I made them a birthday post and sent a "LINK".

I know a lot of "situations" went down on the forum and I didn't want to cause people to feel like I was making them relive anything.

But yes, it is something I like doing, especially for those who were here before me.

:biggrin:

26 minutes ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

:blushing:

I was doing birthday posts for members, but I started getting DMed that some of them were no longer active on the board so I slowly started pulling back on making people have to come to the board to check in.  Therefore, I limited it to if the member was active that year, then I made them a birthday post and sent a "LINK".

I know a lot of "situations" went down on the forum and I didn't want to cause people to feel like I was making them relive anything.

But yes, it is something I like doing, especially for those who were here before me.

:biggrin:

Half the time it just reminds me they aren't around anymore.  Also there's a birthday box in the lower right hand corner anyway.

Not to mention who even uses their real birthday on social media?  I'm pretty sure mine is set to some fake date anyway (but it's still around my real age.)

I mean in this day and age where all you need is a name, birth date, SSN, and maybe a few other optional pieces of info you can steal anyone's identity.  People don't guard their privacy as closely as they should.