Get Over It

How long does it take you to get over someone or move ahead in life after breaking up?

Why do some of us stay stuck in the past and refuse to move ahead?

And when and if you decide to move ahead, why does one pursue someone not attainable, like them being married or involved?

I don't know how long....the length of time always varied depending on circumstances. I did notice that when I'm in a bad state of mind the length of time increased, whereas the length of time decreased when the reverse was true.

i noticed that after one ex it was about a year. i finally wrote him a letter and after that i was just done.

then... another ex (which happened to be the guy i went out with after that ^ other ex) well that one took a VERY long time. sometimes i think i am still not "over" that one. now, that doesn't mean i want him back or anything AT ALL. it just means that i don't feel i will ever just be done and over the whole thing as we had a child together. that tends to complicate things... well at least for people like me ;) i don't know that i will ever have complete closure there since it seems like he will always be around- even though he is not around. and we broke up well over 7 years ago....

I have heard that it takes 1/2 as long as you were dating to actually fully get over someone....

I found this to be true after a 5 year relationship that went sour. It took me a good 2-3 years to FULLY get over him....like it would cross my mind "What if this and that" AND thought about what I could have done different, and so on for about that long!

Don't fret though.....you'll find that special someone! :happy:

How long does it take you to get over someone or move ahead in life after breaking up?

I still haven't gotten over someone. I'm just now starting to move on with my life. Its been over 6months. I have tried various ways to get over this person but I've found that I probably never will. It does depend on your relationship with the person and your memories but you also have to find someone who is going to accept you even if you are still dwelling.

Why do some of us stay stuck in the past and refuse to move ahead?

Sometimes the past is more comfortable than the future. Sticking with what we know instead of venturing into the unknown

And when and if you decide to move ahead, why does one pursue someone not attainable, like them being married or involved?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats just our defense mech. If we can't have them they can't hurt us.

To use a quote from a Nirvana song "I miss the comfort in feeling sad" rings too true.

I'll give a brief background.

The "one" in my life we broke up in 94. For 2 years or so I didn't see anyone period. Than I started seeing women here and there but never serious. Than when I started feeling good about myself again I get burned by someone by betrayal. (At the time that's how I felt) Didn't see or get interested in anyone until I started working at my current job. I became friends with this girl at work and when the time I finally ask her out, she tells me she's seeing someone. Such as life.

Archived