The Dark Knight Rises - July 20th

The final film of Christopher Nolan's batman Trilogy. If you haven't seen the first two I'd go watch them asap , your missing out.

Bane, the films primary villain (Cat woman also shows up but in what capacity I'm unsure, she is generally a villian but sometimes has come to batmans aid) from the comic books anyway is one of batmans most hard-assed and intellectual enemies. Famously breaking batmans back and also confusing him so bad that he doubts himself altogether, not even quite sure if Bane is an actual human at one point.

The title and someplot elements seemingly taken from arguably one of the best graphic novels of all time "The Dark Knight Returns" in a sense batman has gone soft, and "rises" to defeat a foe. Although (its only 8 years later, not the 20+ years later of the comic book (and a very different story).

In the trailer catwoman almost seems like shes getting hot that Bane is comming to destroy everything and is having a secret chuckle at Bruce Wayne's expense.

Following the events of The Dark Knight (film) and the death of District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman assumes responsibility for Dent's crimes to protect Dent's reputation and is subsequently hunted by the Gotham City Police Department. Eight years after the events of The Dark Knight, Batman returns to Gotham, where he encounters the mysterious Selina Kyle and the villainous Bane, releases Arkham Asylum's prisoners, starts a full-scale war on gotham and must confront the latter's plans to destroy the city and everything that is left of batman's reputation.

I'm excited for it, I prefer DC to marvel anyday. c:

Rare opinion I've been on both sides of the fence over the years, but now I'm sort of agnostic on the subject. I have a "stronger loyalty" to a few specific DC characters, but like more "total" characters in Marvel so its sort of a toss up.

Not that hollywood is DC or Marvel really though. Never saw batman wearing black rubber armor. heh. (not that I mind)

"RISE RISE RISE RISE RISE! RISE!! RISE!!!!! RISE!!!"

since this is the last of the trilogy, I wonder if this Bane will "Break" The Batman's Back, not sure how close their going to follow the comic though.

also during the inmate release from Arkam Asylum a lot of infamous villains from the comic book and story line are released,the Joker, Two-Face, the Scarecrow, the Riddler, Poison Ivy, the Mad Hatter, The Ventriloquist, Firefly, Black Mask, The Cavalier and Victor Zsasz.

obviously two-face and the joker won't be appearing, unless Christopher Nolan decided to make The Joker digital somehow and use Heaths voice somehow for dialog, and he hasn't put it in the trailer, but who knows, its obviously has Catwoman and Bane, but it would be interesting if Scarecrow makes an aperance with The Ventriloquist and Firefly Black Mask and the other's.

*shrugs*

who knows.

Edited by TheGimp

"RISE RISE RISE RISE RISE! RISE!! RISE!!!!! RISE!!!"

since this is the last of the trilogy, I wonder if this Bane will "Break" The Batman's Back, not sure how close their going to follow the comic though.

also during the inmate release from Arkam Asylum a lot of infamous villains from the comic book and story line are released,the Joker, Two-Face, the Scarecrow, the Riddler, Poison Ivy, the Mad Hatter, The Ventriloquist, Firefly, Black Mask, The Cavalier and Victor Zsasz.

obviously two-face and the joker won't be appearing, unless Christopher Nolan decided to make The Joker digital somehow and use Heaths voice somehow for dialog, and he hasn't put it in the trailer, but who knows, its obviously has Catwoman and Bane, but it would be interesting if Scarecrow makes an aperance with The Ventriloquist and Firefly Black Mask and the other's.

*shrugs*

who knows.

Yeah the Arkham Breakout sans The Joker almost seems... silly. Hopefully they throw in some nod to why hes NOT there, since hes "caught" obviouisly at the end of The Dark Knight. "Well see he got better we let him go." lol

I'm surprised they picked Bane, he just was never a "marquee villain" but for awhile was a big guy in Batmans story line. Hes wasnt the crazy-wild man the way the Jorker was. Hes the cold calculated psychopath with a plan. (or at least he was when I was reading the comic) Although pretty much every time i ever hear him mentioned he is "the guy that broke batmans back" I didnt find any teasers saying if that was likely to happen in the movie or not, but I'm sure The Bat will get a serious ass whooping, considering thats what bane does, plus batman is "over the hill" theoretically at this point.

Rare opinion I've been on both sides of the fence over the years, but now I'm sort of agnostic on the subject. I have a "stronger loyalty" to a few specific DC characters, but like more "total" characters in Marvel so its sort of a toss up.

Not that hollywood is DC or Marvel really though. Never saw batman wearing black rubber armor. heh. (not that I mind)

I prefer DC mainly because of batman and his origins. Superman I don't care for at all, he is the over-the-top, super powerful comic-y hero while Batman is more realistically based with a dark setting and insane individuals.

90% of marvel is all over-the-top to me, which is a major reason I don't like it as much. I love the new marvel movies since they took everything I hated and made it better, especially the avengers with Joss Whedon as the director, which was just a stroke of genius.

All in all, Batman will always be my superb favorite, even above Deadpool who I do quite like.

Which just means I prefer DC more than marvel.

Also on top of that, Warner Bros. have the rights to DC Comics movies and games, maybe all 'round and that's just awesome to me, mostly because I grew up with the animaniacs.

yea me and wormsinwombs were discussing The Joker's role last year if he will have one since Heath's passing, and we tried figuring out somehow he could be played in it someway, and we figured digitization, with voice dub, or since it IS Arkam Asylum, we figured as well they could do a shot of someone walking threw the Asylum and walk past Joker's cell and all ya hear is laughter, that would gnarly. or that he escaped police custody on the rooftop of the last movie and went MIA, *shrugs* and i agree with the Bane thing, I think we coulda went with The Riddler at least, I hear there is a bit of controversy that Tom Hardy's speech in the movie is hard to understand, it will be real interesting to see what pop's off...I'm stoked.

and I agree I HATE superman, really ONE weakness, I really disliked seeing him get shot in the eye and all you seen was the bullet peel in half...I never facepalmed so hard, I think it's safe to say Batman is the only real superhero I liked, cuz like you said he had the ability to be hurt, he's a badass yea, but he also had the ability to be hurt, and if ya think about it I would honestly have to say he really isn't a superhero, he has no power's just the ability to have some kickass gadgets and be an excellent fighter.

I prefer DC mainly because of batman and his origins. Superman I don't care for at all, he is the over-the-top, super powerful comic-y hero while Batman is more realistically based with a dark setting and insane individuals.

90% of marvel is all over-the-top to me, which is a major reason I don't like it as much. I love the new marvel movies since they took everything I hated and made it better, especially the avengers with Joss Whedon as the director, which was just a stroke of genius.

All in all, Batman will always be my superb favorite, even above Deadpool who I do quite like.

Which just means I prefer DC more than marvel.

Also on top of that, Warner Bros. have the rights to DC Comics movies and games, maybe all 'round and that's just awesome to me, mostly because I grew up with the animaniacs.

Batman was always "my favorite" i guess, I also liked X Men a lot (long after I stopped reading comics in general, I kept following X Men and Batman) Iron Man, Swamp Thing, Captain America , mostly the "human" superheros as opposed to the insanely powerful superheros. My actual favorite was The Sadman but it wasnt so much becasue of The Sadman character (Death was always the favorite character in that series) but the book was just so well written.

Superman as a character is hard to write because of his powers, but he has had some very good storylines written by good writers, it just depends on who is writing him. The whole gangbuster/exile in space series was excellent (superman goes insane, kills people, exiles himself from the planet once he realizes whats going on) as well as David Byrnes "man of steel" miniseries. Batman sucks or is good often due to this same problem, just depends on whos writing him, but "by default" hes long been my favorite.

So when you have Frank Miller writting and Bill Sienkiewicz doing the artowrk, I all the sudden become an Electra fan. (Electra Assasin miniseries is great)

No one liked The Sadman before Neil Gaiman started writing the book about him and the surrounding characters (and retold the whole thing pretty much) as another example. Now Gaimans run on The Sadman, The Dark Night Returns by Frank Miller and Watchmen by Allen Moore often battle it out for "best comic of all time". None of it really being related to the characters previous "coolness" lets call it. Just depends on the details of the writer/artist.

yea me and wormsinwombs were discussing The Joker's role last year if he will have one since Heath's passing, and we tried figuring out somehow he could be played in it someway, and we figured digitization, with voice dub, or since it IS Arkam Asylum, we figured as well they could do a shot of someone walking threw the Asylum and walk past Joker's cell and all ya hear is laughter, that would gnarly. or that he escaped police custody on the rooftop of the last movie and went MIA, *shrugs* and i agree with the Bane thing, I think we coulda went with The Riddler at least, I hear there is a bit of controversy that Tom Hardy's speech in the movie is hard to understand, it will be real interesting to see what pop's off...I'm stoked.

and I agree I HATE superman, really ONE weakness, I really disliked seeing him get shot in the eye and all you seen was the bullet peel in half...I never facepalmed so hard, I think it's safe to say Batman is the only real superhero I liked, cuz like you said he had the ability to be hurt, he's a badass yea, but he also had the ability to be hurt, and if ya think about it I would honestly have to say he really isn't a superhero, he has no power's just the ability to have some kickass gadgets and be an excellent fighter.

Yeah there are superheros that are "born" superheros, ones that became 'super powered" due to some thing that happened to them (Captian America Spider Man etc) or ones that "built" their superhero status (Batman , Iron Man etc)

Superman was a flawed concept for drama , or at least a hard concept to deal with once "real" writers started trying to write for him. He's long annoyed people with his virutal invincibility. Other characters that pop up in storylines that have things like the ability to stop time... what? huh? Why isnt it just game over if they have this sort of power? (then some dumbass "trick" saves the day) can be really /facepalm ish.

But, supermans weaknes is well known to many of the people that could be potential threats to him. (batman carries kryptonite on him 24/7) so in the hands of a good writer he can make for an interesting story, but by default it just seems silly how strong he is.

• 2 weeks later...

The Colorado shooting was fucked up and a tragic event. however, The movie itself was good, not what I expected from the previews, however, I was entertained. will say more about it after it's safe not to spoil anything.

The movie itself, strangely enough the real plot TWIST (added that all caps word later ugh) comes like 2/3rds of the way into the movie, not really at the end as you might suspect. (I'd actually have perfered they DIDN'T end it the way they did at the very, very end, and just left it like it was say 4-5 minutes before the end.) But its Hollywood.

The movie itself, strangely enough the real plot comes like 2/3rds of the way into the movie, not really at the end as you might suspect. (I'd actually have perfered they DIDN'T end it the way they did at the very, very end, and just left it like it was say 4-5 minutes before the end.) But its Hollywood.

agreed.. I was kinda pissed off by that. I nudged my mom and told her what i thought was REALLY going down with Blake, and what do ya know I was right... still *if I knew out to put up "The Spoiler" bar so I can hide what I wanna say and still be able to talk about it..*

I got to see it in IMAX in a marathon with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Yes, on a work night. And I made it through work the next day (and on time, I might add.) I must confess, I was giggling like a schoolboy regarding how much was brought over from the comics, and how much they got right.

Seeing all three of them together, I can say they all rocked equally. And we all cheered at the ending of The Dark Knight Rises, in all the codas they had, but especially at the last coda. That coda brought the biggest smile on my face for a job well done, and well deserved of a hero.

I have been a collector of Batman/Detective for decades. My oldest is Batman #259. I have seen the character go through camp, pulp, moody, and now a become a family (WTH?)

The movies in the 80's and 90's were more concerned with the criminals of the movies (Burton,) and the camp of the TV show (Schumacher.) While enjoyable, they didn't catch the true hero of Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Nolan and Bale brought to the character what I have seen in the comics again and again: One man turing anger, loss, and fear into hope for us all. Every time the villains beat him down, Wayne rises again to the challenge, despite falling into darkness. The classic heroic cycle,, where the only helpers are a couple of close people, his fortune, and, most importantly, his wits/determination.

Bale and Nolan nailed Bruce Wayne and Batman. Both sides have to be played right, something the older movies never quite got right for me. It is important that he is just a man. Not some alien, modified/amped-up automaton, but a single man. The villains were only the catalyst to make the man change. It is watching that man and his changes that made the comics a good read for me, and this trilogy such great thing to watch

Edited by StormKnight

Since people are going to compare things, I have to say that The Dark Knight had a vibe to it that this movie didn't that I was hoping for, partly because of being filmed more at night and a villain who was like an antonymn to Batman's seriousness. But it was still a great, well-written ending to the trilogy.

Edited by Coffeenated