Who Else Is Childfree Here?

I think people that decide to not have kids are being incredibly responsible. I would say over half of the people out there that have them shouldn't have been parents... those that decide not to I think just know themselves better than a lot of those who decide to.

As far as pets vs kids.... yeah not the same thing.... However I have been tempted to put a kid in a kennel and leave for a few hours.

I completely agree ... but lol, we have already discussed this and knew this. :respect:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think people that decide to not have kids are being incredibly responsible...those that decide not to I think just know themselves better than a lot of those who decide to.

Thank you.

Jon and I like to spend time with each other. A lot. Of time. With. Each. Other.

We recognized that right from the start. We recognized in ourselves that should we have a child, we'd be awesome parents. HOWEVER, we preferred to be awesome non-parents, and we recognized that, too. We like being awesomely married to each other.

13 years this month. And not a single regret. Due to surgery in 2008, it can't even happen now if I wanted it to. For a brief moment, I mourned the loss of my ability to be pregnant and go through the motions of giving birth. But that's different than mourning the possibility of having a child. I'd say I 99% mourned the biological ability, and 1% mourned the possibility of bearing a child. It was more the kind of mourning you'd have if you lost a kidney or your spleen than anything else.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I think people that decide to not have kids are being incredibly responsible. I would say over half of the people out there that have them shouldn't have been parents... those that decide not to I think just know themselves better than a lot of those who decide to.

As far as pets vs kids.... yeah not the same thing.... However I have been tempted to put a kid in a kennel and leave for a few hours.

YES! I totally agree! I'm one of those people. I like a neat house with nice things. I like freedom. I like sleeping naked. I need to never have kids, because they are the antithesis of all of these things. That said, I do enjoy the children of my friends, but dislike the having to work around them to plan anything. My SO has 2 kids that we have every weekend. Its just cemented my conviction that I do not need to be a parent.

Thank you.

13 years this month. And not a single regret. Due to surgery in 2008, it can't even happen now if I wanted it to. For a brief moment, I mourned the loss of my ability to be pregnant and go through the motions of giving birth. But that's different than mourning the possibility of having a child. I'd say I 99% mourned the biological ability, and 1% mourned the possibility of bearing a child. It was more the kind of mourning you'd have if you lost a kidney or your spleen than anything else.

I had a major health explosion that resulted in my loss of all of my repro organs this last summer. I agree 100% with what you said here. I did mourn that way too. It wasn't some faceless child, only the loss of a possible path, the loss of an experience that I was capable of and no longer could have.

It wasn't some faceless child, only the ...loss of an experience that I was capable of and no longer could have.

EXACTLY.

Sorry you had to go through the surgeries and all that comes with.

I'm really grateful that when I discovered I had fibroids on my uterus, I had a doctor who totally did not judge nor try to dissuade me when I completely emotionlessly and definitively decided to go through with a hysterectomy rather than a fibroidectomy. I was afraid I'd face someone who would plow me with "Are you sure's" and "wouldn't you rathers", and she totally was down with my finality.

(Incidentally, I'm 99.9% sure that her office is the one you see if you watch "All American Muslim" when they show Samara at work.)

EXACTLY.

Sorry you had to go through the surgeries and all that comes with.

I'm really grateful that when I discovered I had fibroids on my uterus, I had a doctor who totally did not judge nor try to dissuade me when I completely emotionlessly and definitively decided to go through with a hysterectomy rather than a fibroidectomy. I was afraid I'd face someone who would plow me with "Are you sure's" and "wouldn't you rathers", and she totally was down with my finality.

(Incidentally, I'm 99.9% sure that her office is the one you see if you watch "All American Muslim" when they show Samara at work.)

LOL Congrats on the successful doctor wrangling. Mine was not so cool. I had pre cancerous cells in my uterus, on my cervix, and on my remaining ovary. The ovary also had a huge dermoid cyst on it. Still, they desparately tried to convince me to get CHEMO rather than a TAH. WTF??!! I told them I was not interested in that and if they would not remove the offending organs before I got sick in earnest I would sue them when I did. LOL They did it... about a week later. It makes me so angry that my life would be less important to these people than the possibility that I might have a kid someday. It's messed up! I'm fine now BTW. I feel better than I think I ever have. Life without pain is amazing.