• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its amazing that we're in the 21st century and people are still brainwashed into believing in mythological beings. Science is a fact, world religions are a myth. (Referring to the stupidity of that woman and the dinosaur .)

post-399-0-75873700-1312916056_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarkVampire

Oh, she's not stupid. She's stubbornly close-minded. I know lots of stubbornly close-minded people*. Some of them are atheists, even. She just happens to be one whose tiny corner of the world also takes the Christian bible literally and willingly dismisses all evidence to the contrary.

I like my aunt, though I disagree with her emphatically on several issues. Openness, especially to new ideas and experiences, is a personality trait. Some people don't have it. They feel very challenged and insecure when presented with new things and tend to isolate themselves in very homogenous groups.

Ridding the world of religion won't eliminate this tendency in people.

And, yes, this tendency is dangerous when extreme.

My aunt isn't violent or vindictive, though. Just a little mouse of a person who is trying to grow in spite of these tendencies. No, I don't think she'll ever accept dinosaurs. But she has learned tolerance of people who believe differently than she does, even coming to understand that it is not indicative of whether a person is good or evil and that differently-minded people can even bring her some useful knowledge and insight she does not have.

[*Disclaimer: above remarks are NOT directed at any one person or persons. I didn't write this with anyone on this board in mind. Kthanxbai]

Not trying to be a douche to your aunt..but that's the kind of crap that makes us normal Christians cringe and hang their head in disgust.

Well, maybe I use the word normal a little loosely. I'm not exactly normal. :p

Actually, I kind of use Christian loosely too. Maybe pseudo-Christian? Hrm. That's another thread entirely.

"Moderate Christian" or "Bible as allegory" rather than "bible as literal fact" the way its been interpreted for most of the last 2000 years.

The Christians I know (and I know (or knew) a lot) are a half step away from exactly that. (I was a card-carrying fundamentalist christian for the first 20 years or so) Only in recent years (on a centuries long timescale) has that pesky reality stuff gotten in the way of The Truth.

I think fairly soon the Christan community will start to have a larger swath of "non religious Christians" (loosely "spiritual" some version of a belief in a "deity" of some sort typically) the way the Jewish community does. So you can have sort of the (very loose) beliefs of the original religion that you like, but not follow most of the traditional details that are abhorrent to modern thinking.

I think fairly soon the Christan community will start to have a larger swath of "non religious Christians" (loosely "spiritual" some version of a belief in a "deity" of some sort typically) the way the Jewish community does. So you can have sort of the (very loose) beliefs of the original religion that you like, but not follow most of the traditional details that are abhorrent to modern thinking.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I am a non religious Christian. Loose beliefs on the original idea, reject the idiocy that seems to run rampant in it.

This one will cause a face palm:

QVT4h.jpg

Damn I somehow didn't see this before. Should put this up as a poster on the chalkboards at school. If for no other reason than to maybe challenge people to try and think / reason rather than just do / think what "feels" right. Not to say they might not decide that there really is a god, but to actually have some reason other than how it feels, or because they were born into the belief.

scholar's trace biblical evolution...

Yeah its AMAZING how many different versions of "the sacred text" there are and how some books just got chucked and others kept (and the total lack of any originals or even particularly early copies.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfSuninCn0

not a "ROLF".